Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Senator McDermott?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:20 am 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 1414e.html

LMAO

Well between his attempts to run for high state office and now Federal it's clear this guy is done with Hammond. I remember he hinted as much some time ago on his radio show. But if he really wanted on the ballot as Senator then why didn't he at least get the signatures to run rather than hope the state might draft him? Or was that part of some backroom deal for him to drop out? Oh yea I guess it's fair to cite that Bayh didn't leave much time to nab them statewide supporters to sign his or anyone else's petition before the deadline. That in itself is a tad bit curious as to timing.

He wants to run against Dan Coats?? You're kidding me, right? You will note that he retired by principle having pushed for term limits. He's been out a sufficient time to dispel detractors on that point as nobody said you had to sit out for life in the term limit camp. And he left quite popular. I think maybe McDermott was still living in California back then which is why he fails to understand the utter insanity of an unknown Lake County mayor seeking to run against a popular conservative in an age of anti-Democrat sentiment. You may recall I figured that backlash would be the case when the Dems won their super majorities. ;)

If McDermott has any actual desire to seek higher office ever he'd do well to just let the Dems slate a sacrificial lamb like that joker who told people at his town hall meeting to sit down and shut up cause it was HIS meeting. Yea that will go over real well downstate.

Or perhaps this article is more rumor & speculation than truth? If not could this be all about the money? Could it be so in hopes of Dem contributors packing the old campaign war chest in a losing cause to use on a later run for high state office? Well whatever the truth if Evan Bayh is retiring because he's sick of the current climate in Washington even with his experience what exactly can candidate McDermott offer voters to compare to Dan Coat's experience and past service?

I could say more if I thought for a minute McDermott were a legitimate option for the Dems, but at this time of course he isn't. If you thought Dan Quayle looked like a deer caught in the headlights when he was suddenly thrust into the spotlight just wait when he has to fend of better reporters than the Munster Daily. Oh wait! That didn't go so hot either really. lol

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

Post subject: Re: Senator McDermott?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:15 am 

What makes you think Coats is going to be the GOP nominee?
Seriously, you think his track record of lobbying for PhRMA, Goldman Sachs & Yemen is going to what, help him?...LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:30 am 

edge540 wrote:
What makes you think Coats is going to be the GOP nominee?
Seriously, you think his track record of lobbying for PhRMA, Goldman Sachs & Yemen is going to what, help him?...LOL.

Against McDermott? Wouldn't surprise me to see Coats win with 80% of the vote. You bringing up his private sector employment for starters reminds me of some of these McDermott father/ son relationships starting with Cabelas and soon followed by the Hammond Health Care debacle. Granted it won't make much difference to McDermott's hard core Hammond supporters, or even Lake County Dems but I promise you that no matter how you try to spin it and regardless of the truth of those relationships downstate will opt for the guy with the proven conservative track record. That phone message to Domingas on behalf of mailman is just icing on the cake.

But hey! Believe what you want. But IMHO McDermott would get so blown out of the water he may never recover from it.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:46 am 

Quote:
Against McDermott?

No
What on earth makes you think McDermott is going to be the dem nominee?....that's nonsense.
And what makes you think Coats will win the GOP primary?

Quote:
Dem. Rep. Ellsworth to run for Bayh Senate seat
By KEN KUSMER, Associated Press Writer Ken Kusmer, Associated Press Writer
Fri Feb 19, 5:01 pm ET

INDIANAPOLIS – Democratic Rep. Brad Ellsworth said Friday that he will run for Evan Bayh's Senate seat, giving his party a socially conservative candidate who could have broad appeal with Indiana voters.

Ellsworth, 51, announced his decision to run in his hometown of Evansville. The two-term congressman issued a statement saying the problem-solving experience he gained during his 24 years with the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Department — the last eight as sheriff — would serve him well in the increasingly partisan Senate.

"Sheriff is a job that comes down to protecting families from harm, helping folks solve their problems or resolve their disputes, and just being willing to put your fellow citizens' best interests ahead of your own," Ellsworth said. "When I look at the U.S. Senate these days, I sure think they could use more folks with those same qualities."

Ellsworth emerged as a leading Democratic choice after Bayh's surprise announcement Monday not to run again. He is considered an attractive candidate because he won by big margins in both his campaigns in his largely rural congressional district in southwestern Indiana.

Others mentioned as possible candidates for the Democratic nod are Rep. Baron Hill, Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr. and former Secretary of State Joe Hogsett.

trust me, there ain't no way McDermott will be running

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:40 am 

edge540 wrote:
Quote:
Against McDermott?

No
What on earth makes you think McDermott is going to be the dem nominee?....that's nonsense.
And what makes you think Coats will win the GOP primary?

Quote:
Dem. Rep. Ellsworth to run for Bayh Senate seat
By KEN KUSMER, Associated Press Writer Ken Kusmer, Associated Press Writer
Fri Feb 19, 5:01 pm ET

INDIANAPOLIS – Democratic Rep. Brad Ellsworth said Friday that he will run for Evan Bayh's Senate seat, giving his party a socially conservative candidate who could have broad appeal with Indiana voters.

Ellsworth, 51, announced his decision to run in his hometown of Evansville. The two-term congressman issued a statement saying the problem-solving experience he gained during his 24 years with the Vanderburgh County Sheriff's Department — the last eight as sheriff — would serve him well in the increasingly partisan Senate.

"Sheriff is a job that comes down to protecting families from harm, helping folks solve their problems or resolve their disputes, and just being willing to put your fellow citizens' best interests ahead of your own," Ellsworth said. "When I look at the U.S. Senate these days, I sure think they could use more folks with those same qualities."

Ellsworth emerged as a leading Democratic choice after Bayh's surprise announcement Monday not to run again. He is considered an attractive candidate because he won by big margins in both his campaigns in his largely rural congressional district in southwestern Indiana.

Others mentioned as possible candidates for the Democratic nod are Rep. Baron Hill, Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr. and former Secretary of State Joe Hogsett.

trust me, there ain't no way McDermott will be running

Guess you didn't read the paper or even the linky. :smt003

Brad Ellsworth seems to remind me of old Roy Domingas, ya know? Now how that is somehow qualification to be a US Senator I dunno.

Rep. Baron Hill? Please! Slate him!! I believe that's the clown who said it's my party and I'll do as I want to at his town hall meeting. :lol:

Oops! I almost forgot!! You could be slating John Cougar Melloncamp. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:31 am 

Quote:
Guess you didn't read the paper or even the linky

Yes I did.
South of US 30, people don't have a clue as to who McDermott is.

Ellsworth & Hill are both conservative US congressman who have track record of beating republicans & appeal to downstate conservative rednecks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:47 am 

Like I said PLEASE run Hill. PLEASE!!

Besides it just dawned on me all the puns we could have about sending Hill to the Hill. :P

But indeed I do agree that outside of right around here hardly anybody has heard of McDermott which is why I think it would be a suicide run. Sure a few state leaders would know him but he overestimates his political capital if he thinks he stands a snowball's chance in hell.

Obviously considering the source I'm not sure if the Times again took his quotes out of context. I hope for his sake that's all it is. I get that he may not value my advice on this or any other subject but somebody needs to make sure he knows if he actually got it that it would probably be the biggest regret of his life. While some may claim that running in a losing campaign would give him statewide exposure I say getting blown out would instead make him a laughing stock and perhaps never to be taken serious out on the farms.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 am 

Just had another thought. If you slate Cougar the reporters will ask him what he stands for and he will just say, "I hate Bush!" :P

What else he gonna say? Farmers need a raise? How? By raising the crop prices of course, he may say. So how do we do that? I dunno but I'll sing you a song. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:01 pm 

edge540 wrote:
South of US 30, people don't have a clue as to who McDermott is.

We know he is a democrat north county scumbag and won't be voting for him.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:35 am 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... b44ca.html

Hammond Mayor Tom McDermott Jr. said he left a meeting with U.S. Sen. Evan Bayh earlier this week still determined to seek Bayh's office but a little more clear about his chances.

Seriously! Is this for real? He needed to be told essentially what I said here and then some? Looks like proof right there why he's not ready for primetime. :mrgreen: