Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Tip to ICE - Come & Get 'Em
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:21 pm 

Here's a fun story. Apparently it's not safe for legitimate reporters with permission to be near the border.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010 ... he-border/

Yet we have illegals here in our country usually being treated with kid gloves. Go figure! :roll:

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:53 pm 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... ced05.html

Activists gear up for a blitz on May 1

EAST CHICAGO | Local activists who want changes in the nation's immigration laws plan to coordinate activities to draw attention to the cause May 1 in the region.

Protests and rallies are slated to take place that day across the United States. There will be an immigration march in New York, and students who have been walking from Miami since mid-March are scheduled to arrive in Washington then.

President Barack Obama also is scheduled to give the commencement speech at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. Activists want to point out at the event how some Michigan graduates will have problems continuing a life in the U.S. because they are not U.S. citizens.

The East Chicago-based Community Coalition for Immigrants is drafting a letter to Obama urging him to be more supportive of immigration reform, and some group members are likely to go to Ann Arbor to participate in a protest near the campus.

The coalition also is going to contact local colleges such as Indiana University Northwest and Purdue University Calumet to see if local students will host a rally and possibly organize a debate or a forum on immigration for May 1.

Issac Medrano, Indiana director of the Reform Immigration for America group, said he thinks the local coalition must do something that day, particularly because Obama will be in the Great Lakes region.

"A particular power player will be in our region. We shouldn't let it get past," Medrano said.

Some coalition members wonder if a debate is appropriate since it would involve opposing viewpoints on immigration reform. But coalition Chairman Tony Barreda said that aspect does not concern him.

"I feel strongly that we're in the right," he said. "I like the idea of a rally at the university."

State Rep. Mara Candelaria Reardon, D-Munster, said she also likes the concept of a formal debate on the issue.

"An actual structured debate, not (Fox News commentator) Bill O'Reilly yelling at people, would be good," she said.

Coalition members also will be busy getting local residents to put pressure on their congressmen. Medrano said his group considers U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., a potential vote for immigration reform. Lugar "is not as ideological as some Republicans," Medrano said. "He may be willing to listen to us."

Medrano said region residents also should send letters and text messages and make telephone calls to Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Ind., and Rep. Pete Visclosky, D-Ind.

"We sense that (Visclosky's) staff needs to learn more about what immigration reform is," he said. "It hasn't been an important issue to them in the past."

Reardon said she agrees with the idea of a federal focus on the issue, saying she views her job as a state legislator in part as "making sure the federal government is responsibly handling this issue."

Otherwise, she said, state legislatures would have to step in, and the result would be "a patchwork of (immigration laws), and that's not good."

May 1? Isn't that a Communist Holiday? :shock:

Do college students want to have a debate? I doubt an actual debate would be permitted. We have debated this issue enough and the American people do not want to grant blanket amnesty. But as so many others and myself have said there can be no real immigration reform until the borders are more effectively closed. Bush tried, the Dems stalled.

Indeed write your legislators and tell them to have ICE come pick 'em up! The only debate we should be having today is how to fund the buses to repatriate these criminals. Then let's sell whatever assets they leave behind to compensate us for the theft of government services.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:56 pm 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 1d33d.html

With regard to Latinos, he said more focus is needed on tackling problems such as obesity, diabetes and heart disease, which various studies have indicated are more severe problems for Latinos.

That doesn't mean Lopez isn't following the immigration reform debate, although that is an issue to be resolved by the federal government. Lopez said he wants to ensure people can receive the benefits of state health care programs -- regardless of their immigration status.

Just yesterday there was an article about a woman who held up a call 911 sign in a car window. Someone called police and they arrested her for an outstanding warrant and let the guy whom she claims was threatening her go free. This seems like an inconsistency. If illegals show up for free government services why shouldn't they be deported? Like they lady who felt she needed help because she was in danger but got carted off to jail instead for an unrelated matter shouldn't illegals be apprehended for their transgressions?

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have no problem with people who follow the law and immigrate legally. My problem is with those who sneak into the country or overstay their Visas from any country period.

It is beyond belief that a significant number of these (to be generous) illegal occupiers don't commit criminal acts to remain here. They obviously don't all have jobs. And there have been more than a few reports of senseless murders related to illegals such as that rancher murdered by the border last week. I will concede not all, or even most, illegals commit murder, but how many commit identity theft? There has been talk in Congress in the past of allowing those with stolen social security numbers to be able to collect benefits. How wrong is that? You wouldn't want a murderer given life to make a fortune writing a "how he did it" book, would you? So why should they benefit from the proceeds of a crime? Again, an inconsistency.

Now consider the proposal to make all workers in the US have a supposedly fool-proof identity card to be employed. No card, no job. OK so other concerns about the idea aside how does that not make it harder by design for illegals to get a job? Doesn't that just encourage them to either be serious criminals or on the public dole? Or is the thinking that they will voluntarily return home? If the latter then why shouldn't we deny them government benefits immediately? Does that not make sense??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:05 am 

Now here's a theft by illegals you probably hadn't thought too much about.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/illi ... 62ce3.html

Study: Wage theft rampant in Cook County

CHICAGO | A University of Illinois at Chicago study shows wage theft among low income workers is widespread in the nation's second most populous county.

Wage theft has long been a problem. It means employers aren't paying minimum wage or overtime, among other things. Experts say illegal immigrants, women and minorities are particularly susceptible.

The UIC survey studied more than 1,000 workers. It shows the county loses $7.3 million each week in numerous industries because of violations of minimum wage and overtime laws.

The report is called "Unregulated Work in Chicago."

Researchers say wage theft affects at least 145,000 people in Cook County in industries like retail employees, child care and housekeeping.

Author Nik Theodore says workers often don't report the violations because they fear retaliation.

I assume what's being implied is Crook County is losing tax revenue from wages that should have been earned.

I'm kinda lukewarm on the whole minimum wage thing anyway but I never though about it in terms of the government raising min wage to generate more tax revenue. Seems like they don't often promote that aspect when seeking to increase it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:42 pm 

I saw this reposted on another board. Not sure where the original came from but it seems very educational. :lol:

WORTH A REPOST: I come for visit, get treated regal, So I stay. Who care I illegal? I cross border, poor and broke, Take bus, see employment folk. Nice man treat me good in there, Say I need to see welfare. Welfare say, "You come no more, We send cash right to your door." Welfare checks, they make you wealthy. Medicaid it keep you healthy! By and by, I got plenty money, Thanks to you, American dummy. Write to friends in motherland, Tell them come as fast as you can.They come in rags and Chebby trucks, I buy big house with welfare bucks.They come here, we live together, More welfare checks, it gets better! Fourteen families they moving in, But neighbor's patience wearing thin.Finally, white guy moves away, Now I buy his house, and then I say, "Find more aliens for house to rent." And in the yard I put a tent. Send for family (they just trash), But they, too, draw the welfare cash! Everything is mucho good, And soon we own the neighborhood. We have hobby--it's called breeding, Welfare pay for baby feeding. Kids need dentist? Wife need pills? We get free! We got no bills! American crazy! He pay all year, To keep welfare running here. We think America darn good place! Too darn good for the white man race. If they no like us, they can go, Got lots of room in Mexico I Love America!

Those who cry that Arizona's new law is unfair don't realize that cops often ask you to show id and you are already required to have id on you. So that part of the AZ law is unfairly being demonized. After 9/11 you even have to show id to board a Greyhound bus. But I really have to laugh at the Mexican Senate making a fuss over this. Pot meet kettle (see below). Talk about hypocrisy! I favored President Bush's modified immigration plan because I saw it as far better than doing nothing. We did nothing and the problem with illegals has gotten far worse. But the irony about the flap over the AZ law is that it is based on current US Federal law. The major difference is that AZ intends to actually enforce the law while the Feds too often don't.

Another person said this:

...did you know that as a LEGAL immigrant in Mexico the Mexican laws state:1)there will be no special bilingual programs or education classes in any other language (only Spanish allowed);2)foreigners will never have the right to vote in Mexico;3)foreigners can never hold political office;4)foreigners will never qualify for any welfare,food stamps,health care,or any government assistance;5)foreigners are not allowed to protest anything-no demonstrations,no waving of any flag other than the flag of Mexico-no political organizing;AND 6)if you are an illegal immigrant the Mexican authorities will hunt you down and you will be taken straight to jail...these are part of the immigration laws of Mexico...can you imagine the the moaning and groaning that would occur if the U.S. imposed these restrictions on immigrants-legal or otherwise???...you can goggle this stuff...I did and found a web site called message.snopes.com-where I found the info.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:50 am 

Here we go again!

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 09675.html

Hoosiers rally against Arizona laws
Immigration activists rally in Hammond, march in Chicago, meet with Visclosky

Andrade, a Griffith resident who heads the United States Hispanic Leadership Institute, used the protest rally to say people should oppose Arizona's actions to discourage other states, like Texas and Ohio, from enacting laws that require local police to aggressively search for people in violation of federal immigration laws.

"Bigotry and racism are the issues being raised today at these rallies being held across the country," Andrade said.

About 70 people attended the Purdue Calumet rally, many of whom saw the issue as a call to fight people who have a problem with the significant growth of the Latino segment of the U.S. population

What a crock! It's not about bigotry and racism and they know it. I wish Indiana had a voter initiated Constitutional Amendment process so we could put it to a vote. I want that Arizona law here!

BTW how did the Times determine that all these 70 protesters were from Indiana anyway? Did they check ids?? Guess not cause that would make the Times racist. :P