Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Domingas & Buncich Best Buds Now?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:42 am 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and- ... cf77c.html

During the event, Dominguez also took the opportunity to rally support for Buncich, who is one of 11 candidates running for Lake County sheriff in the upcoming primary. The two were once bitter political opponents.

Dominguez evoked laughter when he referenced their strained past, then noted they are now "best of friends, dear friends."

"It's not about yesterday," Dominguez said. "It's about a better tomorrow."

You have got to be kidding me! :roll:

If "It's about a better tomorrow" you sure don't want Buncich running the county. If he's elected it could well be time to write-off Lake County.

But you gotta love how LC Dems can pull together for party unity even when the guy you're supporting still has his knife in your back from the last battle.

Now these remarks occurred in an article about support for Brad Ellsworth to be US Senator.

"I don't expect your support just because we have the same initial before our name," the Democrat told a crowd of about 50 people. "I want to earn it. After I earn it, I want to prove I deserve it."

LMAO Suuuuure!

I dunno if 50 people is a crowd or not but if they could only draw 50 people I'd have to say the Dems are in trouble when even LC doesn't show up in force to meet & greet their hopeful next US Senator. But I don't think the votes of those present were ever in doubt. ;)

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

Post subject: Re: Domingas & Buncich Best Buds Now?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:47 am 

Mirage wrote:
If he's elected it could well be time to write-off Lake County.

If you think now is the time to write off Lake County, you're a little late to the party.

Mirage wrote:
I don't expect your support just because we have the same initial before our name," the Democrat told a crowd of about 50 people. "I want to earn it. After I earn it, I want to prove I deserve it."

LMAO Suuuuure!

Like the new and well-written Bard of the Board said in another post, "Surreal."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:57 pm 

November will tell the tale. If there aren't enough good people left willing to vote for the candidate and not just the party, or for that matter to just show up to the polls and vote for anybody, then what's the point of trying to save what's left. We already have Chicago style machine politics and soon we will have Chicago style taxation to go along with it, or at least something closer to it as the state permits.

I don't think it's an unfair rap to say there have been serious concerns with how Domingas ran the Sheriff's Dept. So as far as I'm concerned his endorsement of anyone should be reason for pause, much less a former bitter enemy. But that anyone would take him [Domingas] serious for higher office, or any elected office for that matter, is simply beyond belief. Fortunately the state Dems were unconvinced.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:42 am 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... a98ee.html

Dems don't endorse sheriff choice
Lake party leaders support incumbents Guernsey, Paras

CROWN POINT | Lake County Democratic Party leaders couldn't reach a consensus this week on who to endorse in the highly contested race for Lake County sheriff.

Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr., the county Democratic Party chairman, said Thursday 46 members of his party's governing board met Wednesday night to slate candidates in the May 4 Democratic primary.

McDermott said his board made two attempts to endorse one of the 11Democrats running to replace outgoing Sheriff Rogelio "Roy" Dominguez. Former sheriff John Buncich got 29 votes, County Coroner Thomas Philpot got 12, county police Deputy Cmdr. Oscar Martinez received four and former U.S. postal inspector Richard D. Ligon got a single vote.

"In the second round, we eliminated the candidates with less than five votes. Philpot picked up those and John Buncich got the same amount, which was two votes short of the two-thirds mark. As a chairman I couldn't have been happier," McDermott said.

Last year McDermott said he favored Philpot, but said earlier this year he would remain neutral in an effort to keep the party united. Town and city Democratic organizations in Gary, Griffith, Hobart, Munster and St. John have endorsed Buncich. Dyer and Schererville have endorsed Martinez.

"We did blanket endorsements of Democratic candidates in all uncontested races and all incumbents running for re-election," McDermott said.

He said two-thirds of the party brass endorsed Ross Township Assessor Randall Guernsey over Carol Ann Seaton, of Gary, for county assessor. In the race for Lake Circuit Court, the party endorsed Merrillville Town Judge George Paras over Alex Dominguez, a Merrillville lawyer and nephew of the sheriff.

What an interesting turn of events! One could think this would be a good omen for Republicans but as we just saw with the Domingas endorsement party loyalty comes before having the best candidate. It's a real stretch to claim that were Philpot to win he'd be better than any Republican. Yet he still seems to have supporters.

Speaking of Domingas did you see the way the 34-year-old nephew of Lake County Sheriff Rogelio "Roy" Dominguez tried to sneek on to the ballot for judge? Then he cries foul despite his own failure to fill out the form correctly.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 3bb22.html

Dem's judicial candidacy challenged

CROWN POINT | A Schererville man on Thursday filed a lawsuit in Lake Superior Court challenging the Circuit Court candidacy of Alex Dominguez, the 34-year-old nephew of Lake County Sheriff Rogelio "Roy" Dominguez.

The younger Dominguez was one of two surprise candidates filing for the seat of retiring Lake Circuit Court Judge Lorenzo Arredondo on the last day of filings in February.

Dominguez is facing off in the May 4 Democratic primary against veteran Merrillville Judge George C. Paras, who also serves as probate commissioner in Arredondo's court.

An anonymous source, whom The Times agreed not to name, said in February that Arredondo had made arrangements to withdraw his candidacy at the eleventh hour to give Paras the opportunity to file his candidacy, a move that could have left Paras as the only candidate on the ballot.

For his part, Dominguez said at the time he had heard rumors of Arredondo's impending retirement and opted to make the last-minute run.

But the court documents filed Thursday seek to have Dominguez's name removed from the ballot for failing to sign his declaration of candidacy.

Merrillville attorney Robert G. Vann, in representing the plaintiff, John McGrath, also argues Secretary of State Todd Rokita and the Lake County Board of Elections and Voters Registration failed to discharge their duty by accepting Dominguez's filing despite its defects.

Vann described his client as a "concerned voter who wants to make sure" political candidacies are proper.

"Attorney Dominguez did not sign the form as required by law," Vann said. "He is simply not a candidate."

Vann said the omission is as significant as the failure to sign a will. "Very simply, if you don't sign it, it's not valid," he said.

Dominguez, who is named as a party to the suit along with the secretary of state and elections board, did not immediately returned a call from The Times for comment.

What a heck of a thing for someone who wants to be a judge! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:09 am 

Is Buncich a threat to society?

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 95089.html

LAKE STATION | Lake County sheriff candidate John Buncich said he was threatened verbally and with a car that nearly rammed his vehicle Wednesday night while trying to stop the spread of misleading fliers around the city and New Chicago.

Buncich said Thursday he will complain to county elections officials that he is the victim of an smear campaign in violation of state elections law.

"Indications are Philpot is behind this," Buncich said. County Coroner Thomas Philpot is one of 11 Democrats running for sheriff in the May 4 primary.

Buncich said the confrontation took place between him and Harry N. Pedroza Jr., a Lake Station city councilman and county police officer who Buncich said supports Philpot. A lawyer representing Pedroza called the account "a ridiculous story."

A Lake Station police report states Lake Station Officer David Hornyak was called about 7 p.m. to assist New Chicago police in dealing with an altercation near Liverpool Road and Decatur Street.

Buncich said he went to the scene after a supporter complained men were distributing "slam" fliers attacking Buncich's prior administration as sheriff between 1994 and 2002.

Buncich said he found two men who stated they were paid by Pedroza to put the fliers on car windshields. He said the literature is illegal because it doesn't have disclaimers identifying who was responsible for its composition.

He said he had just finished making a report of the incident to a New Chicago police officer when Pedroza confronted him.

He said Pedroza attempted to ram his car.

"He went literally out of his mind," Buncich said. "He threatened several times to kill me. He used expletives and everything else."

A Lake Station police report indicates Pedroza told a local police officer that it was Buncich who was driving and nearly hit his car.

Neither Pedroza nor Philpot returned telephone calls Thursday for comment.

Mark K. Gruenhagen, a Schererville lawyer representing Pedroza, said Thursday Pedroza wouldn't risk his career by threatening Buncich.

"This is all sensationalized stories against the backdrop of Lake County politics," Gruenhagen said. "You have one guy who wants to be sheriff and a police office who is in a different camp. Do you really think they are out trying to ram each other's cars? To me, it's a ridiculous story. It's politics spilling over into hurt feelings spilling over into police reports."

Don't you love how Buncich keeps trying to play the innocent victim in his own apparent thuggery acts? This sounds like a story from his run against Domingas. :twisted:

I guess it will fall on deaf ears (or eyes as the case may be) but Buncich is in my opinion the WORST candidate for the office of sheriff. If he will threaten to run over somebody and claim he is the victim just to discourage a candidate who won't win god help us if he wins the election! At best he's a known bully, at worst a thug.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:20 am 

Looks like Johnny is at it again!

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 5bf92.html

Lake elections officials asked to review dispute between rival sheriff candidates

CROWN POINT | A Lake County sheriff's candidate is accusing a rival campaign of violating state elections rules by distributing an anonymous attack flier.

County sheriff candidate John Buncich is asking the County Board of Elections and Voter Registration to hold an emergency meeting this week to address his complaints against County Coroner Thomas Philpot, who also is running for sheriff.

Buncich and Philpot are among 11 Democrats and two Republicans seeking their party's nomination for sheriff in the May 4 primary.

Buncich alleges Philpot's campaign has been distributing fliers against Buncich in Crown Point, East Chicago, Gary, Highland, Hobart, Lake Station and New Chicago.

The fliers contain the slogan, "Keep Former Sheriff John Buncich former," and contain newspaper stories and editorials written during Buncich's prior administration as sheriff between 1994 and 2002.

Buncich alleges the fliers violate state law because they don't have a disclaimer identifying who authorized and paid for them.

Buncich is demanding the elections board issue a cease and desist order and ask the county prosecutor's office to treat the violation as a crime.

The complaint also names Harry Pedroza Jr., a Lake Station city councilman and county police officer. It alleges Pedroza paid campaign workers to distribute the flier in New Chicago.

Buncich filed a police report last week alleging Pedroza threatened Buncich verbally and with a car. Buncich said Pedroza nearly rammed into his vehicle Wednesday night during a confrontation over the fliers. Pedroza filed a complaint that Buncich almost hit his car in the same incident. A lawyer for Pedroza said Buncich's claims where overblown.

Neither Philpot nor Pedroza returned telephone calls Monday for comment.

County Elections Board Director Sally LaSota and Assistant Director Nicholas Gasparovic said Monday board members are attempting to meet on the issue, but no date has been agreed upon.

Treat a campaign issue as a crime? :shock:

Sounds like this could backfire big time on Buncich. "Keep Former Sheriff John Buncich former," I couldn't have said it better myself. Maybe we need to mail that Times article to as many people as possible! While I don't favor Philpot for the office I'd take him any day over a thug like that guy. Better yet just vote Republican "for a change." ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:35 pm 

I was reading the Times article about the PUC Sheriff candidate "debates" (didn't seem like more than a fancy meet & greet) and saw this very pointedly clear comment posted in the discussion area to show why you should think twice about Buncich.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... e=comments

A vote for Buncich is a vote for the return of police and political corruption. He has an insatiable appetite for political power and greed. John Buncich disgraced the Lake County Sheriff's Police Department during his 1995-2002 tenure as sheriff.

As sheriff, Buncich controlled a secret fleet of county cars he assigned to political supporters in his department, even though they did not participate in investigations and may have little or no reason to drive on the job. - The Times 3/31/96

Buncich reportedly squandered county funds on political meals, $39,000 in office furnishings and extended stays in luxury hotels at a time when his department was facing a budget crisis. - The Times 12/22/96

Buncich is a loose cannon and a deeply political public official with a huge ego who has managed to endanger the effectiveness, even the existence, of a promising federally financed effort against illegal drugs in Lake County. - The Time 7/15/97

In what some think was a 'pay-to-play' arrangement, most of the automobile towing firms called out by the Lake County Sheriff's Police were also among the top contributors to the re-election fund of then Sheriff John Buncich. - The Times 2/1/98

A member of Buncich's Drug Task Force was arrested by federal agents and charged with seeking bribes to help an accused drug dealer's case. - The Times 2/7/98

The FBI discovered during its investigation of Buncich's Drug Task Force that thousands of dollars were missing from the unit's undercover drug-buy fund. - The Times 2/15/98

Buncich's Drug Task Force seized a reportedly stolen hot tub from criminals and then set it up in their headquarters for their own personal use instead of trying to find the rightful owner. The Times 4/23/98

A twice-convicted drug dealer implicated via federal court papers members of Buncich's Drug Task Force as ringleaders of an organized drug ring, selling cocaine that had been seized in drug raids. - The Times 2/23/99

Political supporters of Buncich assigned to the Lake County Drug Task Force were able to collect thousands of dollars in overtime at a time when the unit was shut down because of pending FBI investigation into corruption involving the unit. - The Times 8/1/99

It is time for an intervention for the Partnership for a Drug-Free Lake County. It's addiction to political back-scratching rather than doing the work its name requires is dangerous to the physical and mental health of the people the agency is supposed to be helping. How did this happen? Thank that power monger former sheriff, John Buncich. - The Times 1/30/01

While running for 1994 and again in 1998, Buncich handed out hundreds of special deputy commissions to his political supporters, giving police powers to people with no police training in exchange for their support and campaign donations. - The Times 5/27/01

Consider John Buncich and his merry band of "special deputies." Consummate politician that he is, Buncich has conferred this "honor" on about 1,100 people. Including politicians, precinct committeemen, lawyers, businessmen, and union bosses. - The Times 5/30/01

A Lowell citizen filed a federal lawsuit alleging he was beaten and then arrested without cause by Buncich while on his way to a festival at a local shopping mall. - The Times 6/27/01

Even though he was the HIGHEST paid elected official in Lake County, Sheriff John Buncich paid himself almost $2,000 overtime in 1999. Buncich, like other elected officials, was salaried. - The Evansville Courier 9/19/01

Buncich's handpicked leader of his Drug Task Force was convicted of stealing a mink coat from a drug dealer on Buncich's watch. - The Times 10/08/01

Buncich's obsession with money and power led to the loss of confidence of Lake County police chiefs who sought to topple Buncich as chairman of his scandal-ridden Drug Task Force. - The Times 9/12/02

Memo to outgoing Lake County Sheriff John Buncich: When you play with fire, you get burned. - The Times 9/13/02

Miguel "Mike" Arredondo pleaded guilty in Federal court to Ghost-Pay rolling while serving as Buncich's second in command. He was supposed to be working as a security guard around a troubled housing project. - The Times 2/10/05

Buncich reportedly tried to corrupt a community crime-watch meeting by turning it into a political rally and tried to stuff his pockets with cash from the community group. - The Times 6/17/05

As sheriff, Buncich reportedly had an illicit affair with his secretary. Federal court filings describe her job as basically a do-nothing position. - The Times 11/30/05

www.2TellTheTruth.com

From the article:

Lake County police Officer Dan Bursac, one of two Republicans on the ballot for sheriff and the stage, said, "I love this job. It's one I don't mind getting up and going to work for every morning. I want to improve it."

Mike "The Waiter" White, a GOP candidate, said his election could eliminate favoritism in police hiring and promotion since no sheriff has been Republican in many decades. "I'm the ultimate outsider."

So do you want business as usual or a breath of fresh air?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:25 pm 

Here we go again! Domingas transfers a patrolman running for Sheriff to a Federal task force and now someone claims it's a violation of the Hatch Act for him to run.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 0cd5a.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 pm 

Mirage wrote:
I was reading the Times article about the PUC Sheriff candidate "debates" (didn't seem like more than a fancy meet & greet) and saw this very pointedly clear comment posted in the discussion area to show why you should think twice about Buncich.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... e=comments

A vote for Buncich is a vote for the return of police and political corruption. He has an insatiable appetite for political power and greed. John Buncich disgraced the Lake County Sheriff's Police Department during his 1995-2002 tenure as sheriff.

As sheriff, Buncich controlled a secret fleet of county cars he assigned to political supporters in his department, even though they did not participate in investigations and may have little or no reason to drive on the job. - The Times 3/31/96

Buncich reportedly squandered county funds on political meals, $39,000 in office furnishings and extended stays in luxury hotels at a time when his department was facing a budget crisis. - The Times 12/22/96

Buncich is a loose cannon and a deeply political public official with a huge ego who has managed to endanger the effectiveness, even the existence, of a promising federally financed effort against illegal drugs in Lake County. - The Time 7/15/97

In what some think was a 'pay-to-play' arrangement, most of the automobile towing firms called out by the Lake County Sheriff's Police were also among the top contributors to the re-election fund of then Sheriff John Buncich. - The Times 2/1/98

A member of Buncich's Drug Task Force was arrested by federal agents and charged with seeking bribes to help an accused drug dealer's case. - The Times 2/7/98

The FBI discovered during its investigation of Buncich's Drug Task Force that thousands of dollars were missing from the unit's undercover drug-buy fund. - The Times 2/15/98

Buncich's Drug Task Force seized a reportedly stolen hot tub from criminals and then set it up in their headquarters for their own personal use instead of trying to find the rightful owner. The Times 4/23/98

A twice-convicted drug dealer implicated via federal court papers members of Buncich's Drug Task Force as ringleaders of an organized drug ring, selling cocaine that had been seized in drug raids. - The Times 2/23/99

Political supporters of Buncich assigned to the Lake County Drug Task Force were able to collect thousands of dollars in overtime at a time when the unit was shut down because of pending FBI investigation into corruption involving the unit. - The Times 8/1/99

It is time for an intervention for the Partnership for a Drug-Free Lake County. It's addiction to political back-scratching rather than doing the work its name requires is dangerous to the physical and mental health of the people the agency is supposed to be helping. How did this happen? Thank that power monger former sheriff, John Buncich. - The Times 1/30/01

While running for 1994 and again in 1998, Buncich handed out hundreds of special deputy commissions to his political supporters, giving police powers to people with no police training in exchange for their support and campaign donations. - The Times 5/27/01

Consider John Buncich and his merry band of "special deputies." Consummate politician that he is, Buncich has conferred this "honor" on about 1,100 people. Including politicians, precinct committeemen, lawyers, businessmen, and union bosses. - The Times 5/30/01

A Lowell citizen filed a federal lawsuit alleging he was beaten and then arrested without cause by Buncich while on his way to a festival at a local shopping mall. - The Times 6/27/01

Even though he was the HIGHEST paid elected official in Lake County, Sheriff John Buncich paid himself almost $2,000 overtime in 1999. Buncich, like other elected officials, was salaried. - The Evansville Courier 9/19/01

Buncich's handpicked leader of his Drug Task Force was convicted of stealing a mink coat from a drug dealer on Buncich's watch. - The Times 10/08/01

Buncich's obsession with money and power led to the loss of confidence of Lake County police chiefs who sought to topple Buncich as chairman of his scandal-ridden Drug Task Force. - The Times 9/12/02

Memo to outgoing Lake County Sheriff John Buncich: When you play with fire, you get burned. - The Times 9/13/02

Miguel "Mike" Arredondo pleaded guilty in Federal court to Ghost-Pay rolling while serving as Buncich's second in command. He was supposed to be working as a security guard around a troubled housing project. - The Times 2/10/05

Buncich reportedly tried to corrupt a community crime-watch meeting by turning it into a political rally and tried to stuff his pockets with cash from the community group. - The Times 6/17/05

As sheriff, Buncich reportedly had an illicit affair with his secretary. Federal court filings describe her job as basically a do-nothing position. - The Times 11/30/05

http://www.2TellTheTruth.com

From the article:

Lake County police Officer Dan Bursac, one of two Republicans on the ballot for sheriff and the stage, said, "I love this job. It's one I don't mind getting up and going to work for every morning. I want to improve it."

Mike "The Waiter" White, a GOP candidate, said his election could eliminate favoritism in police hiring and promotion since no sheriff has been Republican in many decades. "I'm the ultimate outsider."

So do you want business as usual or a breath of fresh air?

I would NEVER vote for Buncich or Philpot!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:59 pm 

At the moment looks like Philpot is out but it's close between Buncich & Ligon. Pretty impressive for Ligon given low turnout and Buncich has the Dem machine of old cronies. Either way it looks like the Republican "might" have half a shot in November if he can draw most of the Ligon votes. Apparently a lot of people remember the antics of Buncich. ;)