Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: LOL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:38 am 

This article made me laugh:

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/08/05/news ... 0bd6b0.txt

I know exactly where they could get the money. how about using the $200,000 in landscaping for the roundabout instead?

Thats a better use of the money IMO

And they could use the difference to landscape the roundy, I mean it is not that much money to buy flowers and to plant them.

Post subject: Re: LOL
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:30 am 

http://www.ci.valparaiso.in.us/government/cityprojects/Roundabout/roundaboutlandscape.pdf

LOL, I am with you Mike. I wonder what this half completed study color brochure cost.

Now they need money to fix the Portervale and SR2 intersection with the industrial park. This just completed intersection needs to be expanded because noboby believed trucks use the industrial park. DUH!

Somewhere I once read the roundy needs expanded. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:54 am 

What they want to do does not cost $200,000, and if it does, I will gladly do it. give me the $200,000 and I guarentee that I will only spend about $20,000 tops on it and make it look like what they want it to look like

As far as the industrial park goes, that is hilarious.

I find it funny that they want the road that the new hospital will be on to go all the way through to 400N as well, which is stupid as well. Then again, I am also against public money being spent on a private parking garage as well(if the hospital even gets built now)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:07 am 

I do think a 400 to 500 N road should be planned and built properly ahead of time. Otherwise we will get a Silhavey from US30 to Laporte avenue "SNAKE" that is not support by any of the developements. The next N-S road is 325E a mile away.

400N is supposed to be the next "gateway" to Valpo and needs proper access to the hospital from Valpo. Let the hospital pay for proper access. (and the garage).

Its seems the hospital financing now is very questionable. Legislation has changed the way dr owned hospitals operate.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:11 am 

Thing is, when Valpo approved the hospital, they never once mentioned that street going all the way

There does not need to be another N-S road along 49 in that area. Its farmland and not built at all. If it starts to develop(which i doubt will occur for awhile considering the land on the West side of 49 at 500 is still empty even though it has been graded for building already).

The snake is fun to drive for sure and an appropriate detour for the 49/30 interchange closure :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:43 pm 

Yes Mike, between 49 and 300 east there are 271 homes, a 3 story appartment with 200+ units and a senior care center planned all north of about what would be 450 north. (next to the hospital)

The land will fill in quickly and there won't be room for a major artery. They need to plan it now or it will be another Sillhavey and the developers will go scot free.

Another TIF 10 years from now will let us pay for it to do it right the second time. Remember who to blame it on.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:44 am 

Where is the city going to get the money?

The TIF district is only for paying to upgrade 500N and build a parking garage

If the city wants to build the road all the way through, they better be talking to the people now, because in a year the price willbne higher, and a year later higher yet, etc.

But really, there does not need to be a road between 400 and 500 at all. If its not going to connect to 2 why bother even building it for just one little block, that is just stupid.

Maybe the city can somehow get INDOT to build a super derluxe multiple lane interchange at 400 and 49 to include the potential access road, since the city wants them to pay way more than is needed for a simple cloverleaf and bridge at 400 and 49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:07 pm 

I see your point Mike. I apply it to Sihavey connecting Laporte Ave to US 30. This was an existing dirt service road now overbuilt. It should be closed at the Holiday Inn and let folks use 49 or Sturdy. Now Silhavey improvements are a TIF project.

If you let disjointed developers build without improving infrastructure, Silhavey is what you get.

If a wreck at 500N and 49 blocks the intersection, will it be a 4.5 mile ride to the hospital? Years ago a semi with acetone rolled over right there and closed 49 for almost 12 hours.

http://www.ci.valparaiso.in.us/government/citymaps/City/CityMapPDF.pdf

Look at the city map, the real problem is that Valpo spot annexs and the areas to complete this hospital road connection is not yet in the city. It is Valpo's way to cop out and bear no responsibilty when a future artery is needed. PLAN AHEA.........

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:50 am 

The problem is the city needed to condemn land and get rid of the elbow turns that were put in, but they never did

There are plans to develop all that land anyways, so its just going to get worse

I think they should put a roundabout in at the traffic light to Walmart. Yep that will solve all the issues :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:45 pm 

:D Mike.

The roundabouts planed are:

1. Silhavey and Vale Park.
2. Vale Park and Calumet.
3. Sturdy half way between the existing roundabout and US 30. It will then have a spoke running due east to Sihavey through the old VU baseball field.

Walmart must be after that. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:20 pm 

From what I have heard, it is going to be a long time until the old Baseball field is donated to the city to be allowed to use, because the plans at VU have changed drastically

Doesn't the city want a roundabout at the 5 point intersection by K-Mart as well?

Honestly, I think the city should go in on Silhavy and take the road and curve it off before the elbow joint turn, and then make it reconnect to itself around Strongbows

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:18 pm 

Vale Park and Calumet is Kmart. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:16 am 

saveourmoney wrote:
Vale Park and Calumet is Kmart. :D

DUH I wasn't thinking right, because you left off Roosevelt from it

I will say that a roundabout there is stupid. Since they got rid of Laporte having left turns towards 2, I wonder if Roosevelt will even go all the way or will it simply dead end before the roundabout, since thats the way Valpo does Roundabouts, close one street from access to it to make it easier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:52 pm 

Roosevelt is (was?) an ambulance route. Of course, with the new hospital, that changes. sorry - I'm thinking while I type - instead of before.

KarenT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:57 am 

Well Karen, with the credit crisis, a new hospital may not be open prior to the roundabout being built there at all.

The new Memorial Hospital I heard is now on hold because of it, so Porter could have the same happen

All I know is that a roundabout at that intersection is just stupid, especially considering the traffic tends to back up at the roundabout they have now at different times during the day. And the fact that people in Valpo still have not figured out how to drive one yet, like a typical idiot