Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: I want to know, and the Times should investigate and report
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:47 pm 

http://www.nwi.com/articles/2009/01/17/columnists/phil_wieland/doc800e46cf0973878986257541001431f0.txt

When I purchase 20 gallons of gas, I want to make sure the pump is accurate and I get what I pay for.

I think it only natural we want to know how many people are really riding the DASH, everyday! We taxpayers are paying the majority for it. We paid for the parking lot.

Thank you Mr. Whitten for asking these questions.

I see many comments asking the Times to report these numbers. So far the Times can only report faxed press releases from city hall. It is the Times that fails to do any investigative reporting, NOT serve the public good, and now chastise Mr Whitten for important questions that he was elected to perform.

The Times, Mr Witten is doing his job, the Times you are not!!!!!!! The Times has the closed mind here. Show us the daily count of paying riders in the seats!

Post subject: Re: I want to know, and the Times should investigate and report
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:59 pm 

You'll never get accurate ridership numbers, because the city will fight them

I have been calling for an independent survey to be done since the first month.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:54 am 

http://www.chicagodash.com/imscart/index.php?page=shop/browse_tours&category_id=d5d44202077a15aa2abc9ac48f0839ef&product_id=203

If you check the web site for Dash ticket booking, it usually shows ONLY 2 seats reserved per bus. Does this mean the usually daily riders is 8 if you count 2 per bus each way?

I would call it 4 riders a day.

Is that a sucess after a year? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:09 am 

Are you kidding me? Whitten is following buses around? Why doesn't he follow the auditor or assessor around? Let's see what they are doing if he had done that maybe the taxes would be out! I think the buses are a great way for people to get to the shopping centers. To get to the grocery stores and I don't care if it is 23,000 or 100,000 I know with time it will grow you have to start somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:18 pm 

The Times would not print my comments about finding the actual ridership numbers but they print hmmmms attack on Whitten.

Thanks for this board that allows all sides of an opinion.

That could be another reason why today the Times was only 32 pages long and continues to shrink to a worthless nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:44 pm 

Wait tell me where I am wrong here. Shouldn't he be more concerned that all the entities in the county are having to take out loans which is costing a whole lot more of taxpayer money than those buses are by far. Follow the auditor and assessor around make sure they are doing their jobs that is what will save the taxpayer money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 am 

I would hope the Times and all elected officials would be looking to check the efficiency of all facets of our government including transportation. Why should either put blinders on to buses or taxes?

The Times took cheap shot here. Let the Times show some fortitude and show the numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:09 pm 

hmmm wrote:
Wait tell me where I am wrong here. Shouldn't he be more concerned that all the entities in the county are having to take out loans which is costing a whole lot more of taxpayer money than those buses are by far. Follow the auditor and assessor around make sure they are doing their jobs that is what will save the taxpayer money.

Well first they would actually have to get the property tax fiasco fixed

I say the council should use the hospital sale proceeds to reimburse each and every taxing unit in Porter County all the costs associated with having to take out the loans they have needed to since the council demanded the auditor buy the software that failed the state certification, thus it is 100% on the council for the tax issues going on right now

As far as bus ridership numbers, those buses area failure, but the city will never admit that

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:16 pm 

Checking the dash website at 8 PM, today there were 10 reserved seats on the 4 pm return bus and 8 reserved seats on the 5 PM return bus.

If this is accurate, there were 18 return riders today if everyone "made the bus and didn't work late".

This Dash cannot be efficent or worthwhile by any stretch of the imagination. It also proves there is absolutley no need for any train to Valpo.

I am sorry if those 18 people need to find other transportation or a job in Porer County. Maybe they can carpool.

The Dash is wasting taxpayer money. A train would waste much more taxpayer money.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:30 pm 

Wow really save maybe you and Whitten can carpool and save money and follow the buses around. Give it time anything worth having takes time to build.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:27 am 

I myself am trying to put some numbers to compare to the Valpo press release a week ago as to how successfull the Dash is.

I just checked, 18 riders again this morning going to Chicago. Only 3 on the early bus. 3 can carpool in one car.

18 is not a sucess. It simply proves the Dash projected ridership numbers were overexagerated bullshit.

This probably means the South Shore extension ridership expectation numbers are also bullshit.

18 riders do not justify the expense. It's just plain and simple.