Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tip # 2: Increase Your Earnings With Effective Follow-ups
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:30 am 

Increase Your Earnings With Effective Follow-ups

by André Vatke

So you’ve got that package in the mail to your prospect. What now? Do you just wait for him or her to go through it and join your network marketing program? Or do you wait for some notification from your main program to let you know that the person has joined? No, of course not.

All successful network marketers have one thing in common: they follow-up with their prospects. And they do it effectively. Learning how to follow-up via the phone is one of the most important things you can learn in network marketing.

Why Follow-up?

The first and perhaps most obvious reason to follow-up is to make sure your prospect actually got the package you sent. Sometimes a package may take longer to arrive than it should. And believe it or not, the post office does occasionally lose mail. Beyond that, it gives you a non-threatening way to talk with your prospect about your opportunity. When you call, simply ask the prospect if they received the package. If they did ask if they have a few minutes to talk about it.

Ask your prospect if they had time to review the contents of the package. If you sent a tape, find out if they had a chance to listen to it. If you sent product samples, ask if they tried them. Find out what they thought about the material and if they have any questions. Good prospects either have questions or are ready to get involved right away. In all fairness, you won’t find too many that are ready to get started just from reviewing the material in your package. Most prospects will require that you answer a few questions or overcome a few objections before they join.

Another useful technique is to tell your prospect that there are a few things the information in the package did not cover. This gives you a chance to give a presentation on the phone. While this technique works, I don’t recommend it for everyone or in every situation. Make sure you know how to give a good presentation on the phone and that you really do have something to say that isn’t in the package.

If you’re doing your job and you talk to a few people you are undoubtedly going to encounter a few objections. These may range from the sincere to the insane. Some objections such as those regarding the cost of the program , monthly investments, time commitments and so on, can be overcome during the initial contact call.

What is an objection? An objection is more or less just a question in disguise. Deal with objections openly and try to answer them in a solid manner. Take each prospect seriously. In doing so you’ll show the prospect that you care about them. Many marketers simply try to make a sale. They care less about their prospects financial future than their own. Learn to recognize if your prospect is only using his or her objections as an excuse and deal with them as such.

One technique that I have found very valuable when dealing with excuses is to ask the prospect what it would take for them to get involved in the program. What comes back will give you a great deal of information about your prospect. An, “I don’t know,” tells me that they don’t have the slightest intention of building a business. A reasonable response tells me that they may indeed be serious about the business, but have other legitimate concerns. An unreasonable response tells me that they are just leading me on. If a prospect isn’t interested simply thank them for talking with you and go on. After all, you are making the call on your nickel. If a call turns unproductive or even counter-productive, then it’s time to move on.

Understand that it may take more than one phone call to sponsor someone. With this in mind, make sure that you always leave your door open. It may sound corny, but it’s important to nurture the relationship with your prospect. It may be that your prospect is not interested in your opportunity the first time around. This does not mean that they will never be interested. Call back or send another letter to your prospect 30 or 60 days from your original contact and let them know that you are still with the same program and that it’s working well for you. In doing this, you’re telling your prospect that you care about their success and that you are in a stable business. Most other people that contacted him or her 60 days ago have already moved on to another program or given up altogether.

In case you haven’t gotten this yet, I highly recommend that you use the telephone to follow-up with prospects. Using the telephone gives you the advantage of answering questions and objections right there, one on one. Letters are fine for a second or third follow-up, but the phone will, in most cases, be the most productive.

Additional Tips On Follow-ups:

Sounding Better On The Phone: Standing up during a call can help you sound stronger and more confident. By standing you are allowing your lungs to fill to capacity which will give your voice added clarity and volume. Standing also boosts your self-confidence because it puts you in a “position of power.”

Dealing With Answering Machines:

Make enough calls and you will run into your share of answering machines. Always leave a message and let the prospect know that you would like to speak with them about the package you sent. Leave your phone number and ask them to give you a call as soon as possible. It’s also a good idea to let them know what time zone you are calling from and how late you will be taking calls. Give your prospect one or two days to get back with you. Whatever you do, don’t seem “too eager” for their business. You want to be interested but not seem too hungry.

If the prospect does not return your call and you get an answering machine again, leave another message. This time try a message like this: “You’re probably a busy person and I don’t want to keep bothering you. I just want to be sure you got my package on XYZ Company. Would you please give me a call and let me know if this opportunity is for you? If you’re even remotely interested in this opportunity please give me a call there are a few thing that aren’t covered in the package. If not, I would appreciate it if you would return the package to me.”

Scheduling a follow-up call with your prospect before you send a package can help avoid most answering machines.

Using Three Way Calls:

If you don’t have three way calling on your phone, get it now! Three way calls are probably the most efficient way to build solid leaders in your organization. Connect with your upline and then make follow-up calls together. Once you have the hang of it you can do the same with your downline.