Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OpenOffice.org
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:45 am 

I downloaded OpenOffice.org, the other day and wondered if anyone else uses it.
It seems like it is almost identical to Microsoft Office Suite, but it is offered FREE from Sun Microsystems (aka: Java). I'm just getting into it, and am trying out all the bells and whistles. Here's the link. . .
http://www.OpenOffice.org

Post subject: Re: OpenOffice.org
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:03 pm 

I heard about that program years ago on Tech TV's "Call for Help" and "The ScreenSavers" shows, both starring Leo Laporte.

Nice little program it is

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:37 pm 

I have MS office but put Open Office on 1 computer instead just to try it. So far it does a credible job for the average home user. And it's free!

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:32 pm 

I wish I could remember what the site was that Leo Laporte used to hype all the time, that had free programs that normally cost hundreds of dollars(like open office, DVD copiers, DVD burning software, etc)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:50 am 

Could be they went out of business with a profit line like that. :P

If I'm not mistaken TSS and CFH have been off the air for about a decade. I know for a while they kept the achieves on the G4 site. Also Leo had his own website back then. I forget the name but it might have been Leoville or something like that so unless he croaked it might still be available.

I miss those shows myself. I hate G4 and always did. I even removed it from channels I receive about the time of the changeover and never looked back.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:49 am 

I loved Tech TV and was pissed when Cmcast bought it out and merged it with their channel.

I remember one episode of The ScreenSavers where Leo basically told Comcast to go to hell and never came back, and that was about the time I quit watching the channel all together

He did migrate to the internet, and had his own website where he had Call For Help still going(he owned the rights to the name) but that was last checked in 2004.

the site I was referring to was just a site that had a bot crawl through the internet and find programs that were free and posted the links to them on 1 site. It was great. Thats where I found out about trillian, open office, and dvd ripper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:32 pm 
Banned

http://www.majorgeeks.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:57 am 

Another very nice FREE program is GIMP. It is a photo retouching AND authoring program. It is way more intense than the canned programs that come with your camera, and knocks the socks off of Picasa. The website: . . . http://www.gimp.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:25 am 
Banned

http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:41 pm 

So, what is the BEST DVD ripper out there?
How about the BEST free one?