Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:25 pm 

booklady2006 wrote:
I just finished "Letter to a Christian Nation."

Hey, I just finished it, too! I took it with me to my in-laws for Thanksgiving and finished it there. It's a decent book, and a quick read.

As for all the questions you raised, I'm fine with the earth being really, really old, for God to have (perhaps) used an evolutionary process to get us all here, etc. My view of Scripture allows for that sort of thing. :) I am (and the church I belong to is) evangelical, but not fundamentalist, if that makes any sense...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:34 pm 

booklady2006 wrote:

Wow!

It was written by an atheist.

Did you know that the Sumerians had a culture going 7000 years ago?

How does that fit with the earth being 6000 years old?

And what's with all those dinosaur bones?

And did you know that 99% of all species of life that has ever been on earth is extinct?

And why do things as small as bacteria and viruses keep evolving every time mankind invents a new antibiotic? Isn't that evolution on a small scale, happening very quickly?

Do you think that one is able to believe in "science" and what the bible says?

Also, just curious to know what your beliefs are (general- ex., christian, athiest, buddist). I'm not trying to pry since I believe that religion is a personal thing, just trying to figure out where you are so I know where you are coming from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:36 pm 

I just noticed something pretty interesting. As of today this post has been read over 10,800 times. This is about 10 times more then most of the other busy posts on this forum. I am guessing that a search engine like Google must be picking up this conversation and directing people here.

I just read through the whole post, the conversation is actually a pretty interesting one regardless of where one falls on this issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:43 am 

The more I learn about nature and about science, the more I give God the glory as the Creator. I don't get hung up on the Biblical account of creation. Who knows how long a "day" really was in the context of the creation story in Genesis.

When I see mountains, trees, flowers, streams, and all the diversity of living things, I cannot help but take time to praise God for the beauty, the wonder, and the mystery of His creation.

When you see a priceless painting, you know that there was an artist who created it. It baffles me how anyone can see the beauty of nature and not acknowledge God as Creator.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:38 am 

OhhMama wrote:
booklady2006 wrote:

Wow!

It was written by an atheist.

Did you know that the Sumerians had a culture going 7000 years ago?

How does that fit with the earth being 6000 years old?

And what's with all those dinosaur bones?

And did you know that 99% of all species of life that has ever been on earth is extinct?

And why do things as small as bacteria and viruses keep evolving every time mankind invents a new antibiotic? Isn't that evolution on a small scale, happening very quickly?

Do you think that one is able to believe in "science" and what the bible says?

Also, just curious to know what your beliefs are (general- ex., christian, athiest, buddist). I'm not trying to pry since I believe that religion is a personal thing, just trying to figure out where you are so I know where you are coming from.

If I were to label myself, I would be an agnostic.

Why would a Supreme Being care what happens to a teeny tiny planet in the vastness of the universe?

Why would he/she care if the dust mites on this planet (us) use birth control or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:40 am 

I think human beings are somehow wired to want to believe in an afterlife and a god.

From ancient times, different cultures have worshipped different gods with different beliefs that life continues after death.

Once people became aware that death was final (the REAL tree of knowledge mythology?), they became afraid. An afterlife had to be invented.

Death is just too scary...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:22 am 

rich.schmidt wrote:
Ray Gun wrote:
Even biblical scholars who are much more familiar with the bible then you or I can’t agree on what Jesus said and what he didn’t.

Actually, the general consensus among biblical scholars is pretty strong that the four New Testament gospels are reliable. It's a minority of scholars with a particular methodological approach who call them into serious question.

Of course, I don't have any of my books handy to give you references... :)

The first book of the New Testament was written 50 years after Jesus' death.

None of the authors were actually disciples--in fact, they didn't know each other and lived in different areas.

They wrote down the legends as they heard them.

Many gospels were written; these four were chosen because they fit best the political ideas of the church at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:25 am 

Death is not "scary" to those who have accepted Christ and the gift of Eternal Life, Booklady. Jesus died that we might live.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3:36

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live... John 11:25

There are PLENTY of other scriptures that I could quote where we are promised Eternal Life through faith in Jesus Christ.

Tomster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:03 am 

booklady wrote:
I think human beings are somehow wired to want to believe in an afterlife and a god.

Every human culture on the planet believes in a deity. It's not just us, though. Even elephants have graveyards.

booklady wrote:
Once people became aware that death was final (the REAL tree of knowledge mythology?), they became afraid.

Actually, most indigenous cultures are very aware of death considering they still have to kill their own food. They are very much aware that they're part of the biological community, their landbase. We, on the otherhand, aren't. That's our Fall...

booklady wrote:
Death is just too scary...

That's a cultural distinction. The Egyptians celebrated death, along with many Native American tribes. Western culture tends to ignore death as much as it can, resulting in such fear.

Tom J wrote:
When I see mountains, trees, flowers, streams, and all the diversity of living things, I cannot help but take time to praise God for the beauty, the wonder, and the mystery of His creation.

When you see a priceless painting, you know that there was an artist who created it. It baffles me how anyone can see the beauty of nature and not acknowledge God as Creator.

I'm amazed that so few of those who can marvel at G-d's Creation aren't actively trying to protect it, actively fighting for it. Resource depletion, overpopulation, global warming, unending growth that even cancer envys... all leading to a loss of biodiversity not equaled since a meteor killed the dinosaurs.

We make very poor stewards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:28 pm 

I wish there was a god that would be cool....

But unfortunatly its just a fairy tale so the poor behave while the rich get richer....

Oh and give the clergy a job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:18 am 

My concern is that when I talk to most Christians is they believe that the bible is infallible. They say that it was not written by man but written by the hand of God through men. Couple this with all the glaring inconsistencies that have been found in the bible it leads you to believe that it was written by man, it is fallible and there are mistakes. Kind of hard to blindly follow edicts written hundreds of years ago that have absolutely no bearing in life today. Now don't get me wrong there are some great stories in the bible, and valuable lessons to learn. But to base one's belief entirely on a book seems kind of asinine to me. Do you think it would serve Christians better to step back from the whole written by the hand of God thing and just use the bible as a source for moral lessons? Some good examples of what to do, some good examples of what not to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:29 pm 

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is, my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

4. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. clearly states he should be put death, should I do it or should I ask the police to do it?

5. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Aren't there 'degrees' of abomination?

6. Lev.21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20 or is there a little wiggle room there?

7. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

8. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

9. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:18 pm 
Banned

xxx; regarding the slave issue, your "friend" is an out and out racist, because in time, the Mexicans WILL own this country, and if people here don't like, they can, and should cross the Atlantic, and go back to their pasty roots. And, I hope they don't forget their mixed babies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:56 pm 

Keep up the good work Rich. :D
There are plenty of hurting, lonley people and this is a great place to plant a seed.

Sports is the opiate of this country.

Post subject: Re: If anyone has questions or wants to talk religion...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:06 pm 

My Faith sustains me always, as I know that God is with me, always.
How great is thy majesty, oh Lord? Everytime I see a flower in bloom, the streams of water flowing through a brook, the creatures who tread upon this earth, all thy wonderfull works, how can I doubt thee?
My Faith is not the substance of buildings, or those who lead, it is the inner yearnings of my heart, and the wantings of my soul. The Fool sayeth, there is no God, but yet he is blind to the wondrous works before him, created by the ONE who makes all things anew.
I do not need to see Him face to face on this earth,with my earthly eyes, to believe, as my soul has seen Him with the eyes of Faith. My heart rejoices in my God and my Savior.