All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Strauss wants to be mayor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 am 

Strauss wants to be mayor
Comment on this story: http://heraldargus.com/archives/ha/disp ... ?id=371650

Daniel Przybyla, 1-866-362-2167 Ext. 13865, dprzybyla@heraldargus.com

Photo:
Mike Strauss

LA PORTE -- Michael Strauss, who fought last year to rid La Porte of illegal aliens, has decided to explore a new campaign -- running for mayor of La Porte.

Strauss, a former Libertarian, is running as an independent, which means he has until July 16 to file. In order to qualify to run for the general election, he must obtain the signatures of 2 percent of the voters in the city of La Porte who voted in the secretary of state race during the 2006 general election, according to Bette Conroy, La Porte County chief deputy clerk. So far, Strauss has only filed documents for an exploratory committee and not for candidacy.

“I am running as an independent because I believe a candidate is elected by the people, for the people and not to represent their own views and the even stronger views of party bosses,” he said in a press release.

Strauss, 24, said if elected he would continue to target illegal immigration in La Porte. Strauss’s campaign will also promote the creation of retail and factory jobs, as well as improved fiscal management. Job training for unskilled workers, sidewalk and road repairs, increased code enforcement, looser restrictions on local business and more input from residents regarding city issues would also be on the agenda. Strauss opposes any new taxes.

Strauss accused past administrations of going on spending sprees.

“It is time to take a step back to reevaluate our expenditures and consolidate or outsource locally whenever possible.”

FOR MORE INFORMATION GOTO: http://www.electmike.tk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:06 am 

LaPorte mayoral candidate runs on illegal-immigration platform
http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/ ... ews/n4.txt

By Stan Maddux, For The News-Dispatch

LaPORTE - A man who led a recent push to deport illegal aliens in LaPorte has announced he's running for mayor.

If elected, Michael Strauss said one of his priorities would be coming up with a local solution “to our illegal immigration problem.”

Another major goal is “creating not only service related retail jobs but factory jobs as well,” he said.

Strauss, a 2000 LaPorte High School graduate, also cited a need to improve the quality of the work force by providing more educational opportunities to unskilled laborers.

A former member of the Libertarian party, Strauss said he's running as an independent. “I believe a candidate is elected by the people and for the people and not to represent their own views and the even stronger views of party bosses.”

In December, the LaPorte City Council voted down a measure to empower local police to find illegal immigrants and detain them for possible deportation by the federal government. The measure also called for a hotline that residents could use to report suspected illegal alien activity to be investigated by the police.

Strauss was at the forefront of the failed effort and helped stage a demonstration outside LaPorte's downtown courthouse in the fall trying to drum up support.

After the measure's defeat, Strauss pledged to continue working with city Councilman Tim Stabosz to revise the proposal and bring it back for reconsideration.

The deadline for Democratic and Republican candidates to file for the May primary was noon Friday. Independents, though, have until July 16 to register for the November general election, said LaPorte County Chief Deputy Clerk Betty Conroy.

But, first, independents like Strauss must collect signatures from 2 percent of the LaPorte voters who cast ballots for Indiana Secretary of State in the November general election, she said. Those signatures must be verified by the LaPorte County Voter Registration Office by July 2.

Current mayor Leigh Morris, a Republican, is unopposed in the May primary. The Democratic candidates are former mayor Kathy Chroback, Robert Ott and Ronald Zimmer.

Post subject: ANOTHER loser!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:19 pm 
Banned

Yes, this was the same clown who tried to push a hate law into existence last summer...........Well, he fail then, and he will fail AGAIN! Shame how this 26 year old, little t*** is wrecking his life with hate. Oh well, losers are a dime a dozen I guess! And the fact that Neo-Rayden is supporting this loser is evidence that the guy is going to loose again. Well, Neo-Rayden has enough beef jerky, so I guess the both of them can get into some type of bizness selling the stuff to all those country pumpkins out there n LaPorte!

Post subject: Candidate says his platform is about more than illegals
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:42 pm 

Candidate says his platform is about more than illegals
http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/2007/03/05/news/n3.txt

By Stan Maddux, For The News-Dispatch

Strauss

LaPORTE - He's been called a bigot and a racist, but Mike Strauss insists his campaign for mayor is not entirely about deporting the illegal aliens in LaPorte.

Illegal immigration, though, is a major part of his campaign platform, one that Strauss, 24, feels will produce good results at the polls.

“Voters in LaPorte do feel strongly about that issue,” Strauss said.

Because he's running as an independent, Strauss must collect 2 percent of the votes cast in the city for Indiana secretary of state in the November election to appear on the ballot. Over a two-day period, Strauss said he collected 33 of the 119 required signatures.

The signatures must be presented to the LaPorte County Voter Registration Office and verified by July 2.

“I actually plan to get a little bit more than that,” Strauss said.

In December, the LaPorte City Council voted down a proposal to empower local police to go out and detain illegal aliens for deportation by the federal government. Strauss helped craft the ordinance and is helping to make changes in the measure so it can be presented to the City Council again, possibly before the November general election.

If nothing is adopted then, Strauss said, the “illegal alien problem” will be a major priority of his if elected mayor.

“A lot of people have already labeled me a racist. I'm not too worried about that,” said Strauss, who denies feeling any hatred toward illegals.

Instead, Strauss said his view on the issue is simply about upholding the law, maintaining civil liberties and extending relief to overburdened local governments and schools.

“It puts an even stronger burden on the school system to not only teach their teachers Spanish but to teach other students Spanish and to teach the Spanish students English when those funds could be used to produce a higher quality education for those here legally,” he said.

The 2000 LaPorte High School graduate, who describes himself as a small business entrepreneur, said the biggest reason he entered the campaign is to get a handle on what he believes is overspending by the current administration.

He said costs can be cut to free additional money to fix more of the city's deplorable roads and sidewalks.

“Businesses aren't going to want to come into a community that has bad roads and bad sidewalks. They just look bad,” he said.

Other priorities of his include upgrading the skills of the local workforce and giving back control of local government to the citizens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:43 pm 
Banned

He looks like a punk from off the street, and he is a punk, just like you, Neo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:21 pm 

Candidate VOP - Strauss addresses job growth, illegal immigrants
http://heraldargus.com/hanews/archives/ha/display.php?id=372902

I believe that making La Porte flourish will take much more than just bringing in jobs and jumping at every opportunity that falls in our lap. We must bring in both service- and industrial-based jobs.

Also to make La Porte flourish, we must start by eliminating unneeded expenditures in local government to make room for infrastructure improvements. Then we must require that businesses that apply for tax abatements train a percentage of their employees in skilled-labor positions within their industry. This allows La Porte to have much more leverage in getting higher paying jobs with better benefits. Many very good companies will simply not come to La Porte because the amount of skilled labor versus unskilled labor is drastically getting slimmer, and our roads and sidewalks leave nothing to be desired.

If we are looking to make our city flourish, we must not forget about the drastic effects illegal immigration has on our community. While illegal immigration is not a major plank in my platform, I do believe that allowing illegal activity in our community is not a good way to attract businesses, tourists and newcomers to our community. We must take steps to ensure that employers only hire legal citizens and legal immigrants and that landlords only rent to legal citizens and legal immigrants. The steps that need to be taken should also encompass protections to legal residents’ civil rights and add fines for hate crimes. Illegal immigration affects everyone in the community by taking tax dollars away from legal residents in our schools and prevents many legal qualified individuals from applying for government benefits simply because some illegal immigrants took those benefits wrongly.

MICHAEL STRAUSS
Independent candidate for La Porte mayor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:16 pm 
Banned

What a bunch of BALONEY, Strauss. Your going to lose simple because of your one item agenda, immigrants. Other than this, you have NOTHING to offer LaPorte, and you will be just anothe loser like (R~Co.) Tom Tancredo, another loser. Oh well, you do the have right to try for it, and...............lose! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:25 pm 

expresso66 wrote:
What a bunch of BALONEY, Strauss. Your going to lose simple because of your one item agenda, immigrants. Other than this, you have NOTHING to offer LaPorte, and you will be just anothe loser like (R~Co.) Tom Tancredo, another loser. Oh well, you do the have right to try for it, and...............lose! :lol:

What's wrong may/march/expresso? Get pushed out of Lake and NW threads?

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:49 pm 
Banned

That's a FINE picture of you Chuckamo; I think I will STEP on you azz.........THERE! No more chuck, chuck, chuckamo..Yippe!