Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: LaPorte mayoral candidate will seek to reduce gasoline costs
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:34 am 

LaPorte mayoral candidate will seek to reduce gasoline costs

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/ ... /news8.txt
From Staff Reports

LaPORTE - Michael Strauss, an independent candidate for LaPorte mayor, has issued a statement in which he said he wants to help small-business owners and residents reduce the price of gasoline.

He said relief has been sitting in a sub-committee in Washington, where petroleum companies have lobbied to keep it out of public view. Strauss said “gas stations and their corporate parents have taken advantage of the American public for far too long.”

“Just as Hazelton, Pa., took a local crackdown on Illegal aliens because the federal and state government chose not to, and how Chicago cracked down on big-box retailers for wage standards, I believe cities and counties must crack down on petroleum companies,” said Strauss. “We must not let large corporations bully consumers into paying higher gas prices when they are padding their pockets with billion-dollar profits. As a local small-business owner, I understand that sometimes companies must change strategies and adapt to make profits. I believe that petroleum companies should not be the exception.”

Strauss said when he is mayor of LaPorte, he will ask the city council to limit the cost of gasoline to consumers based on a fair profit percentage.

“This would affect all local gas stations and petroleum distribution establishments,” said Strauss. “It would mainly target large corporations such as Speedway, Exxon/Mobil and Marathon Oil.”

He said his measure would force large corporations to do one of three things: Make up for the profit loss in other cities, thereby increasing the chances of other cities passing the same standards; adapt and offer additional products and services to make up for profit loss; or adjust corporate lifestyles to reflect lower profit margins.

“I believe that by doing this we can keep gas prices at a decent level and still allow gas stations to earn a profit,” said Strauss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:10 pm 
Banned

The cost of gas is effected by WORLD conditions, not what the high schooler, Strauss can ever do!