It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Strauss to run against Morris, Chroback
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:05 am 

Strauss to run against Morris, Chroback

Comment on this story
http://heraldargus.com/archives/ha/disp ... ?id=378154

Daniel Przybyla, 1-866-362-2167 Ext. 13865, dprzybyla@heraldargus.com

Independent candidate for mayor of La Porte says he has a 'strong chance' to get elected

LA PORTE -- A maverick candidate is entering the La Porte mayoral race, and he thinks his chance of winning is as good as opponents Mayor Leigh Morris and former Mayor Kathy Chroback.

Asked if he can win in November, Mike Strauss, 25, said he has “a strong chance.”

Strauss, who made a name for himself last year when he pushed for the La Porte City Council to pass an ordinance targeting illegal immigrants, said he plans to file for mayor as an independent.

Strauss, owner of a computer business called w3Network in Merrillville, said Friday that he has obtained the necessary number of signatures to run for the office.

Strauss, who earlier this spring considered dropping out of the race due to health concerns, said Friday those issues “have been taken care of,” but refused to elaborate.

He didn’t hesitate, however, to share his views on Chroback and Morris.

“She didn’t do anything all bad, but she didn’t do anything good,” Strauss, a former Libertarian, said of Chroback. “She was a sit-back mayor who went along for the ride.”

Conversely, he said, Morris has been overly aggressive during his tenure.

“He’s overspent and he acts like a dictator in front of La Porte City Council and his constituents. I don’t think he’s fit to be running city government. He proved that when he was president of La Porte Hospital.”

If he were given the reins to the city, Strauss said he wouldn’t rule with an iron fist, even if it meant local immigration reforms he supports don’t pass.

“I believe there needs to be reform, but if the constituents don’t want it that’s the way it’s got to be,” he said. “As an elected official I have to listen to their wishes and not my own. You have to listen or they will leave (town).”

Strauss supports fining landlords who knowingly rent to illegal immigrants and businesses that knowingly hire them, as well as training La Porte City Police officers to enforce immigration laws.

And what do people think of Strauss?

“I’ve gotten a lot of support in the community, more than I thought I would have. People like what I have to say. They say there’s a need for change,” he said.

Though he knows he doesn’t have the big bucks that Democrats and Republicans will have to fund their respective mayoral campaigns, Strauss thinks he can still be effective utilizing his campaign Web site, blogging and going door-to-door.

Strauss said he wouldn’t accept campaign contributions from businesses and organizations, only individuals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:03 pm 
Banned

As for the immigrants, Strauss can' do NOTHING about landlords renting to immigrants. Today, a federal judge has ordered a legal stay on that Texas town, Farmer Market, or whatever, who wanted to the same, moronic thing that Strauss wants to do in his neck of the woods. So all your BS on immigration are moot points, and If I were you guys, concetrate on losing your beer bellies, quick wasting your already, useless lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:36 pm 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:36 pm 
Banned

Unlawfull, FAKE PHOTO! Reported!