Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Steakhouse recommendations
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:15 pm 

I have already tried Freddy's (not bad), Theo's (bleh) and Gino's (not my cup of tea). Any other suggestions?

How is the place on 30 in Merrilville before 65 (forget the name)? I know there is another place in Griffith south of Main on Broad. How is that one? And I also remember passing a place somewhere hidden in Schererville (I believe close to Hobart?) in a somewhat remote area. Anybody know what I'm talking about? It was when we first moved here and I can't remember the exact location.

Any other places people can share?

Post subject: Re: Steakhouse recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:23 am 
Banned

Wow....the best place I ever went to last Saturday, and it's worth the trip!

Charlie's Steakhouse in LaGrange, IL on or near 21st & LaGrange...downstairs...the best! You have got to check it out....margarita's the size of fishbowls, appetizers out of this world...steaks out of this world...grilled garlic shrimp; the atmosphere is totally awesome and the street is packed with people...a beautiful area...northwest of Orland on LaGrange Road in LaGrange.

It's worth the ride!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:20 pm 

Skip the place on Broad, love my steak rare (the chicken was bloody. 2 trips back to the kitchen- brought it home to the dog.) I would also pass on Kelsey's the one on old route 30. Gibbons in Oak Forest good steaks, fair price. Wait staff have worked there forever. They still wear black and white uniforms rhinestone name tags. Older regular crowd. If you want to spend some $$ Mr. Benny's. Not sure if it's Orland or Mokena. It's south of 80, a bit west of Lagrange.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:16 pm 

Here we go again with another which tastes better restaurant question. :)

You need to qualify the question. What price range and what kind do you like. It's almost like asking who serves the best fish without realizing that could mean sushi, Tilapia, or plain old Catfish. ;)

You could spend $100 and be unhappy or $8 and be ecstatic. I went to Country Buffet (which is part of the same company that owns Ryans Steak House) and was pleasantly surprised at the steak last Saturday. Good size, tender for the cut, lean, cooked medium well, great flavor for an under $10 meal and all you can eat. And oh btw it came with a whole buffet of other stuff too. :mrgreen: Even had a hint of smoke flavor. I was seriously impressed. Then again, when the cook moves on to something else it could be a whole different story as has been my experience with Golden Coral steak nights.

Now that said, I have always liked Ryans for a value budget but the closest one I know of locally is Michigan City. If you have a slightly better budget you might try Outback. Or there's always Ruth's Crisp for a little more money but still generally affordable.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.