Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Greek's Pizza in Valpo cannot set minimum transactions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:32 pm 

I have never been a customer of Greek's Pizza before, but today I went with a friend to pick up her pizza. We tried to pay with a debit card and were told they only took debit and credit cards for orders of over $35 because the fees they are charged to process the transaction is too high otherwise.

I want you all to know that they can't do this according to their merchant contracts. They are not allowed to require a minimum purchase, nor are they allowed to charge you a few dollars to cover their transaction fees. This is against the rules for Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and AmEx, even if they use a third-party credit card processing company.

If they try to tell you that you can't use your debit/credit card, you can contact the bank that issued your card and tell the bank what happened. The bank will contact whatever business set the minimum purchase, and if the business doesn't comply, they may lose their ability to process credit cards.

More information: http://consumerist.com/5028913/more-on- ... themselves

The merchant agreements: http://consumerist.com/consumer/csr/meg ... 168646.php

Post subject: Re: Greek's Pizza in Valpo cannot set minimum transactions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:57 pm 

ACTUALLY that used to be the case about the merchant's agreement but that may not necessarily be the case anymore. But I really doubt they have to have a $35 order to write off the fee. How much could it possibly cost them? At MOST, what? $1 or $1.50? Which I doubt. I guess one thing you could ask them is just how much that fee is and offer to pay it.

Also, I know a gas station that says min card use must be $5 or else there would be a fee of I think $.25. BUT, when it comes to paying for fuel they charge a nickel more a gal for not paying cash or the company credit card. Why? I'm guessing a bit here but I think by franchise contract they can't penalize the company card (which probably doesn't have a transaction fee anyway) and because most gas stations nowadays have to pay for fuel in cash upon delivery or else have very short terms to pay for the delivery.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:05 am 

The articles I linked on The Consumerist are from April of this year and they contacted the credit card companies and verified that this is still against the rules, at least as of April.

I also remember reading on The Consumerist that the gas station cannot charge you more for using a credit card - what they are supposed to do to keep it legal is charge everyone the higher price, but offer you a discount if you pay in cash.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:25 am 

And yet they do what they do.

As I say, in FL some of the gas stations started posting the cash price just to make it look like their fuel was cheaper back before the price started coming down. Independent BP & Sunoco stations to name 2 I'm certain about. I think they get around it by claiming it's a cash discount. I remember some stations in LC tried that years ago until somebody put a stop to that.

And thrift's have often had a $25 or a $50 or whatever min. Personally I think they're just too lazy to go get the 1 person who knows how to run the card. LOL

So while you may or may not get the credit card companies to do something about it the fact remains you won't be able to make the merchant do anything yourself no matter how right you are. If the merchant doesn't do a lot of credit card business the card company probably won't give a crap, I figure. And for all you know it could be some 3rd party which handles the transactions, just to complicate matters.

I guess it all depends on how well you like the merchant and how big of a PITA you want to be about it. :)

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:34 am 

I took a quick look at your link and found 2 things already.

# Convenience fees are allowable surcharges for specific types of payments, generally to schools and government entities (like taxes or fines).

That's what one Sunoco in FL put on a hand written sign about the $5 min. Claimed it was a "convenience fee." :)

# Asking for ID is not prohibited, but refusal to show ID cannot, by itself, be a reason for the merchant to halt the transaction.

I know that Delocks next to Stracks in Hessville refused to accept visa or mastercard with photo id. Same for Nicks at Calumet & Chicago in Hammond.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:24 pm 

Yeah, I have too many things to do in life besides report Greek's, since I'm not a regular customer anyways. I just wanted to alert people that it can be reported.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:29 pm 

Kat2 wrote:
Yeah, I have too many things to do in life besides report Greek's,

Evidentially not

β€œAt the core of liberalism is the spoiled child β€” miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:36 am 

Excuse me? I haven't reported them to Mastercard/Visa/Discover/AmEx.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:23 pm 

I, too, have encountered many merchants where they required minimum purchases whether I used my debit (bank) card - Visa or Mastercharge. I reported them, and amazingly, using the fixer's information, a lot of places are now requiring no minimum.

I just ran into this post, and I think it is well-worth repeating in the open forum. Which I will do, and go back and post the link. It is against the law, but stores argue it's not in their policy.

Guess what? Forcing me to buy more against my budget on any particular day is an infrigement on my personal rights to purchase only what I need and can afford to pay that day. The law is on your side. Fixer has posted the below - for the second time, stressing what everyone should need to know.

Most of the cases where they must pay to use the charges is just a mere fifty cents to the charge cards. To me, it's just a scam to get you to purchase more, when you actually don't need "more".

Dear Fixer: What is the number to call to report a store imposing credit card minimums?

Brian Keating, Plainfield

Dear Brian: This is the annoying practice some merchants have of forcing customers to spend a certain amount if they want to use a credit card, which is not allowed under their merchant agreements with the credit card companies. Hence, The Fixer's Movement Against Improper Minimums, or MAIM. Welcome aboard.

The answer is: If you encounter a merchant setting a minimum or maximum purchase amount or imposing a surcharge, you can report them to the credit companies, which will intervene through the merchant's bank.

For MasterCard, you can fill out a merchant violation form at mastercard.com/us/personal/en/contactus/ merchantviolations.html.

For Visa, call the number on the back of your card to file a report.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1150382,CST-NWS-Fixer08.article