Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cavalier INn-North Hammond
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:51 pm 

Cavalier Inn is a Polish-flavored bar and restaurant on Gostlin Street, just west of Calumet Avenue. They serve Pierogi-Fest type food all year round. But my favorite here is the lake perch, especially sauteed in butter. Yummy! They serve an appetizing plate of homemade salads prior to dinner, consisting of slaw, bean salad and very fresh and tasty cottage cheese. With a slice of the rye from the bread basket, I like that part very much.
But the fishies are to die for! Only about $7-8 too! They have shrimp, frog legs, walleye and the perch I already mentioned.
Tonight I stepped in there to get out of the cold rain, and tried the fried chicken. Not as good as the fish, but not bad. Mounds of homemade REAL mashed potatoes with it. Way too much to finish. Good thing I don't eat out often any more, because I always seem to order fattening foods. I enjoy the heck out of them too. :D
Anyway, Cavalier is a nice, friendly neighborhood type place with a full bar if you feel like having a nip or two. Parking right outside the dining room door, on the west side of the building.
No need to worry about a long hike in "scary" North Hammond! It's not nearly as bad over here as some people think. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Cavalier INn-North Hammond
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:04 pm 

I know some politicos still frequent the place but I think it's day in the sun has about played out. But in fairness I must say I never felt comfortable there. Maybe because the politicos used to hang out there. :P

That said, back in the day I know it was about as popular as Taco Real. Sometimes you couldn't get near the place. But I never see it that crowded lately. So is Wally still running the place? A Noll grad, don't you know. ;)

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:35 am 

Only 3 tables were occupied at 5 PM Monday.
They do much better on Fridays, when many come to have the fish. I think they still have a pretty good lunch crowd also.
I didn't see any politicos when I was there.
I enjoyed my dinner, and I like spending my little bit of money on a longtime northside business.
:D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:11 pm 

My hub-cat and I have patronized the place for many years. You can't beat their fish, and the salads. It's still there, and we still enjoy going there for their perch.