Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mrs. Johnson's? Ma Johnson's? Grandma Johnson's?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:54 pm 

Could someone please help me with this?

I remember as a youngster growing up in Hammond in the 1950's and 1960's that Mom and Dad would sometimes take me after church on Sundays to a restaurant that I believe was in or near Merrillville.

The name of the place was something like the names I listed in this message header.

I have been thinking a lot about my childhood lately. I guess it's just a phase of life that I have to get through. I'm 57 years old, and it does not seem possible that things that I did as a 12 year old kid were really 45 years ago!

I would like to know the name of the restaurant, its location, and any details about it that anyone can provide. I'm sure it must have shut down years and years ago.

It seems like it was kind of out in the country, sort of by itself, if I remember correctly. There were LONG waits to get a table, and I remember thinking that I was going to starve to death before we ever got anything to eat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:34 pm 

OK, I have learned that the restaurant I was thinking about was called "Mrs. Johnson's Chicken Dinner," and it was out on Route 6 near the intersection of US 6 and Indiana 49.

So, who can give me some info on that place? I would love to know the history of that restaurant.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:21 pm 

I found this picture on the website. When I was 5 maybe 6 years old, I remember going to church with grandma and grandpa and then eating at this restaurant before we headed for the church picnic. I don't remember too much of what the inside of the restaurant looked like but I do remember fussing "when are we going to eat" because the line was long. Here's the pic from the website that jogged my memory of the restaurant. Unfortunately, both of my grandparents are no longer with us. Hopefully, someone will come along and remember more. Tom J thanks for remembering this restaurant which made memories for me.

Mrs. Johnson's Chicken Dinner was located on the southwest corner of the present day intersection of Meridian Road and US Highway 6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:30 am 

What a cool picture!

Didn't that restaurant become the Liberty Inn restaurant?

It looks like the same building to me.

It was bought out and renamed something like the Fire Pit and then ironically burnt down to the ground :?

Damn shame...it had a lot of regulars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:33 am 

Hammondforlife:

Thanks for posting the picture. I had already seen it on the NWIGS site, but I do appreciate your passing it along.

If you think of ANYTHING more about that place, please post, OK?

Yeah, you are like me... we remember how HUNGRY we got before the food was finally served.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:28 pm 

Tony: I'm not sure what the restaurant turned into. One of these days, I'm going to drive down to that area and see if any memories come back. I'm sure they won't because I'm sure everything is different now but it's worth a shot.

Today, I called a friend of my grandmother's that lives in Gary to find out she's passed on. I remember she used to come with us sometimes. I remember her telling me to "shush, the food is coming".

Tom: I will definitely keep you posted if I remember anything about the restaurant. What memories we have, huh? You and I definitely did have something in common...couldn't wait for that delicious food to arrive cuz we were starving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:47 pm 

Hammondforlife wrote:
Tony: I'm not sure what the restaurant turned into. One of these days, I'm going to drive down to that area and see if any memories come back. I'm sure they won't because I'm sure everything is different now but it's worth a shot.

Today, I called a friend of my grandmother's that lives in Gary to find out she's passed on. I remember she used to come with us sometimes. I remember her telling me to "shush, the food is coming".

Tom: I will definitely keep you posted if I remember anything about the restaurant. What memories we have, huh? You and I definitely did have something in common...couldn't wait for that delicious food to arrive cuz we were starving.

I was wrong, the place is still there...I was thinkin' of another restaurant.