Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 4th of July
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:16 am 

Just wanted to let everyone know that this year in Whiting there will be NO CARNIVAL at Whiting Park. On Friday, July 4th, they will have the parade starting at 10:00 a.m., Beer Garden - noon till 11 pm. Air and ground fireworks display will start at 10 pm both at the Park.

Post subject: Re: 4th of July
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:10 pm 

Why didn't they have the carnival this year?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:21 pm 

rosie wrote:
Just wanted to let everyone know that this year in Whiting there will be NO CARNIVAL at Whiting Park. On Friday, July 4th, they will have the parade starting at 10:00 a.m., Beer Garden - noon till 11 pm. Air and ground fireworks display will start at 10 pm both at the Park.

You know what? I suggest you partner with Hammond and have a parade from the park down to Lady Liberty in Hammond and just have a big old bi-city celebration and pool our resources. Could be one heck of a party!

I really loved the fighter jet they always used to have at Whiting Park for the 4th. That would be just stunning at my proposed new Hammond/ Whiting 4th of July party! ;)

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:23 am 

I've heard different reasons as to why the carnival wasn't here this year. One of them was the contract for the carnival expired and the city didn't renew it for this year, another was, it was costing the city too much and they were losing money, then there was too many problems associated with a carnival, fights, gangs, vandalism, etc. IMO, all of the above are good enough reason to stop having this carnival, majority of the residents agreed with the city for doing this. Instead of a carnival, the city opted to make the 4th of July a more family oriented celebration. Next year, I think they plan on having a little more activity, like some local food booths and maybe something for the little ones, (bouncy house, slide, something along that order.)

I think partnering with Hammond for the 4th isn't what Whiting is looking for, they want to return to a more family geared fest and utilize the park with minimal amount of damage to it.