Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Carson's Closes State St. Store
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:29 pm 

End Of An Era As Carson's Closes State St. Store

Carson Pirie Scott Flagship Store To Close At End Of Business Day

(CBS) CHICAGO A Chicago icon that made State Street "that great street" for more than a century will soon be relegated to the history books.

As CBS 2's Kristyn Hartman reports, effective at the end of the business day Wednesday, the Carson Pirie Scott flagship store at 1 S. State St. will close for good at 8 p.m.

Shoppers and staffers flocked to the store on Wednesday morning. One woman took the train in just so she could see friends with whom she worked for more than 30 years.

But a shopper said she did not want to go inside because she did not want to see the store empty. She wanted to remember it in all its glory.

"I’m on my way to an eye appointment and I said let's walk through and see it for the last time. It’s a heartbreak,” one woman said.

Back in August, the chief executive officer of Carson's parent company, Bon-Ton stores, said operating costs at the State Street station prompted the decision.

"We are very proud of Carson Pirie Scott’s rich tradition in Chicago – a tradition that has prospered for more than 150 years, and will continue to be a very important part of the Chicago metropolitan landscape," Bon-Ton President and Chief Executive Officer Bud Bergren said in a news release in August. "Unfortunately, this facility is more than 100 years old and no longer supports our efforts to provide quality customer service by giving our customers a modern, fresh shopping experience."

After losing the name Marshall Field's to Macy's, the news hit some Chicagoans hard – especially shoppers who remember experiences like breakfast with Santa and the Heather House Restaurant.

"Marshall Field's and Carson's are part of Chicago," said Brian Morse of Chicago. "To see them both go in such a short period of time is just sad."

Morse is not even a shopper. He, like many others, visited the store because of the stately Louis Sullivan architecture.

"When I first came out here, actually, I really enjoyed the architecture," Morse said.

Bon-Ton said the building cost a lot to maintain, and cited declining sales and the fact that the structure's owner had a different reason for its future as reasons for leaving the State Street location.

"It's a sad, sad day," said acting store manager Sue Ziarko. "This is such a fun building to work in, it's so unique, and all the history behind it. And being in charge of the largest store in the company has been a real treat for me, and the associates."

Other employees who spoke off camera wished they could put off the end of an era. They pointed out special store features like an old-time escalator.

Newer staffers, who were dispatched to sell what remained, were just as sentimental.

"I personally think that the next generation is going to miss out on something," said employee Erica Vasquez.

The 300 full-time and 150 part-time employees of the State Street can apply for positions at other stores and will be given severance and unemployment benefits, Bon-Ton said in a news release last August. Bon-Ton will keep Carson's 25 other department stores and five furniture stores open in the Chicago area, including two within the city limits.

The store space itself is expected to be redeveloped into smaller retail stores, in a way that respects its landmark status. The firm Joseph Freed and Associates recently completed the restoration of the exterior of the building and has created new offices on the upper floors. The building is a city historic landmark and cannot be demolished.

While there is sadness over the loss of Carson’s, for some the mood was upbeat. State Street is enjoying a revival.

The landmark Carson Pirie Scott building -- more than 100 years old -- will likely house a gourmet grocery store and several boutiques in about a year.

Block 37, the future home of CBS 2, is finally being developed.

And, already, there are new stores on State Street aimed at the 53,000 college students who live in this part of downtown, one of the largest student bodies in the United States.

"So with Block 37, the Carson’s building and the Palmer House, there's tremendous space available and great demand,” said Ty Tabing of the Chicago Loop Alliance.

It might be enough to console even Carsons' longtime customers.

“State Street will always be a great street, no matter who occupies the reality,” said one Chicagoan.

But, when the announcement came in August, retail consultant Joseph Melaniphy said the Carson's flagship closing was symptomatic of a larger trend.

"If you look at what the consumer wants today, the consumer is voting with dollars for big boxes," he said.

A company spokeswoman said the decision to close the flagship store was a difficult one, and she said the best part of the business was the customers, whom she wanted to thank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:45 pm 
Banned

BIG DEAL; there are other stores going up all the time. :lol: