Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Memorial Day Massacre Remembered
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:49 pm 

Kudos to the United Steelworkers Union for putting on a stirring memorial for the victims of the infamous Republic Steel Memorial Day massacre of 1937.
10 men died after being shot in the backs by Chicago police officers in a field outside the mill at 117th and Avenue O, just north of Wolf Lake. 100 more people, including women and children were wounded.
Although the Supreme Court had given workers the right to organize a union a few years before, so-called "Little Steel", which included Republic, refused to comply. Striking workers chose Memorial Day to hold a rally and picnic in protest in the open fields near Republic.
Many photos and film were taken of the confrontation, and they show the hundreds of police officers attacking the group as they marched to the plant gate. The deaths were ruled "justifiable homicide" by the coroner when the cops argued that the marchers intended to storm the plant. No evidence of that intention was ever brought forth.
It is hard to look at that still open field and not be struck by the thought that those fallen workers were indeed martyrs for the labor movement. As an official with Steelworkers District 7 noted, today's battlefield for labor r encompasses the whole world, as companies struggle to find the cheapest labor they can to produce their products.
He said the Steelworkers are currently in talks about joining forces with British workers in an attempt t to fight that new battle.
It was a GREAT Memorial Day program!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:01 pm 
Banned

:lol:

Post subject: Re: Memorial Day Massacre Remembered
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:29 am 

freetime wrote:
10 men died after being shot in the backs by Chicago police officers in a field outside the mill

I care nothing for the greedy scumbag unions and their idiot minions today who pretend to be professionals and who have destroyed the industrial base of this area as they are absolutely nothing like what they started out to be...

but wouldn't it be great if the Border Patrol cops could get away with this like the Chicago cops did?...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:08 pm 

I hope you eventually move to another country where the cops will be suitably brutal. I don't want cops ibn my country shooting people in the back, or shooting at women and children .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:24 pm 
Banned

With all the murders in Munster, Moby's home, maybe one day we will hear of him being found dead, with his insides placed beside him. Or maybe, his relative will just cut off his rotten, stinking head! Now wouldn't THAT be NEWS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:42 pm 
Banned

expresso66 wrote:
With all the murders in Munster, Moby's home, maybe one day we will hear of him being found dead, with his insides placed beside him. Or maybe, his relative will just cut off his rotten, stinking head! Now wouldn't THAT be NEWS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:21 am 
Banned

See that Moby Grape, follow your LEADER!