Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Watch Out Gov. (it's about time)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:46 pm 

chicagotribune.comEditorial
Recall? You said 'yes'
October 30, 2007

Should Rod Blagojevich remain as governor of Illinois?

This page posed that question in a Sunday editorial, then went on to answer it in a way that probably didn't surprise many people: Blagojevich is Exhibit A in favor of a constitutional amendment that would allow the voters of Illinois to recall an inept governor.

He has played fast and loose with the state's finances, neglected Illinois' most urgent needs while crusading for his own prohibitively expensive causes and stubbornly obstructed progress on critical initiatives without offering realistic alternatives.

When the same question was asked of readers, though, the response was harder to predict. After all, the people of Illinois elected and re-elected Blagojevich. Have his actions and inactions in the first year of his second term been so egregious that voters would entertain a proposal to un-elect him?

As one reader wrote: "Let's get started!"

More than 1,200 readers replied, and the overwhelming majority supported the recall of the governor. You can read many of the responses on today's Commentary page, and find more at Chicagotribune.com/opinion.

Many of you spoke in terms that were even more emphatic than the editorial. He can't work with others, even in his own party, they said. He worries more about his cronies and his contributors than about the people who elected him, they said. He hasn't kept his promise to address the state pension crisis because he's too busy fighting a lost battle for universal health care, they said. (And that perfectly blown hair really, really rubs some of you the wrong way.) Though a handful of readers rose to the governor's defense, they were shouted down by hundreds of others -- including many who prefaced responses with "I'm a lifelong Democrat" or "I voted for Blagojevich twice" -- who said he should go.

"YES!! Recall Blagojevich."

"He is an unmitigated disaster."

"GET HIM OUT NOW."

And it turns out they were just warming up.

"How about [Cook County President Todd] Stroger? Can we dump him too?"

Angry readers took their shots at Stroger, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley, House Speaker Mike Madigan, House Republican Leader Tom Cross and Emil Jones, "self-appointed King of the Illinois Senate."

In a remarkable outpouring of exasperation and disgust, readers lashed out against the cascade of new tax increase proposals and the failure of elected officials to cut spending or trim patronage workers from their bloated staffs. You railed about broken campaign promises, gridlock in Springfield, legislative indifference to critical needs such as education or pension reform and the uncertainty over whether we'll have a mass transit system come Monday. Yes, you'd like the opportunity to recall Blagojevich, you said, but why stop there? Good question.

Mr. Mayor, Mr. President, Mr. Speaker, et al.: We hope you're listening. Though it is far easier to vent than to vote, your constituents are fed up, and dangerously receptive to the suggestion that they do something about it for a change.

It's time to put their needs ahead of your political ambitions and your personal connections, not because they might remove you from office but because they put you there in the first place.

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:57 am 

chicagotribune.com
Ryan a step closer to prison
Federal appeals court denies bail
By Michael Higgins

Tribune staff reporter

12:51 PM CDT, October 31, 2007

A federal appeals court today denied former Gov. George Ryan's bid to remain free on bail while he asks the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn his corruption conviction.

The ruling by the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago increases the likelihood that Ryan must report to prison by Nov. 7. He can still ask the U.S. Supreme Court to extend his bail, however.

Ryan's lawyers are expected today to make that request specifically to U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, who handles such requests from Illinois.

If that fails, Ryan can still hope that the high court accepts his appeal and grants him a new trial, but he would have to await the court's decision from prison.

In April 2006 a federal jury convicted Ryan on charges as secretary of state and governor he doled out sweetheart deals to lobbyist Lawrence Warner and other friends and used state resources and employees for political gain. Warner was also convicted.

Ryan, who was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison, is supposed to surrender by Nov. 7 to a federal prison camp in Duluth, Minn., but his lawyers are seeking a reassignment to a similar facility in Oxford, Wis., so he can be closer to family for visits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:17 pm 
Banned

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:36 pm 
Banned

expresso66 wrote:
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:14 pm 
Banned

EXPRESSO wrote:~ :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:18 am 
Banned

BWG - I've read those articles....it's catching on...they are snooping around Blago's circle...patronage hiring...money in his pocket...the FEDS are snooping.

They are disgusted over in Illinois....I really hope they go even further than the governor...STROGER the ape, should go first. All his cronies...something so obvious, that stinks like...smells like..and is a piece of crap...IS a POS!!!! All Stroger is, well...a troop of brass paying themselves....they should turn the hospital into a prison and just park their crooked azzes in there. Call it STROGER'S VIP PRISON CAMP.

People are so fed up with the zoo in Springfield...it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they do pull through and boot the arrogant, idiotic Blago right out of his office and onto the welfare system. I'd love that!

Circus of Clowns ....it's sickening the way these politicians take advantage of taxpayers.

I hope they all get the boot. Read in the Herald News that out in Will County, they are all writing letters to the Editor, expressing their disdain towards the governor and the circus that is going on down there. All the overtime they put in at resolving absolutely nothing, could have stopped the crisis that's looming, come Monday. Stupid is as stupid does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:08 am 
Banned

I bet his father-in-law would love to see him go down....the only way he'd see his daughter again, not to mmention the grandkids. They're being hog-tied. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:36 am 

expresso66 wrote:
EXPRESSO wrote:~ :D

That's all he knows how to write!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:53 pm 
Banned

REPORTED! OFF TOPIC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:01 pm 

expresso66 wrote:
REPORTED! OFF TOPIC!

WOW, my first "REPORTED! OFF TOPIC!
What should I do? Quick kids, hide all the sharp objects!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:53 pm 
Banned

QUE????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:48 am 
Banned

Their closing in on Blago....they are also going for the "RECALL."

I'd be shakin' if I was Blago.....wish the Feds would look into Dolton/Cal City books, and Harvey, IL...they always give up, don't they?

Post subject: Re: Watch Out Gov. (it's about time)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:07 am 
Banned

Urinal-Urright, d***** bag, you shake all the time in your rubber boots, maggot!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:00 pm 
Banned

That was a 2007 post by BWG. This is April, 2008...I never owned a pair of boots, even in winter. :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:22 am 
Banned

You still eat cups of s***. That's good enough for ya, Urinal-Urright.