Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What Happened to Separation of Church & State?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:11 pm 

1. Why MY tax money?
2. Can't pass the budget, but can sure hand it out.
3. Welcome to 10.25%.
4. When does it end?
5. Who really cares about Pilgrim Baptist Church?
The Southtown Star wrote:
Church get $1 million from Illinois

July 1, 2008

SPRINGFIELD (AP) -- Pilgrim Baptist Church in Chicago has finally received the $1 million promised it by the Blagojevich administration to help rebuild the fire-damaged structure next to the destroyed sanctuary.

The Blagojevich administration, in what it claims was "a bureaucratic mistake," originally gave $1 million to a school that had been a tenant of Pilgrim Baptist Church before the landmark structure was gutted by a 2006 fire.

According to a financial report, Loop Lab School had $243 cash and a $32,000 debt at the start of 2006, just six days before it lost the space it was renting when fire destroyed it.

In order for the church to receive the funds, the money has to be used to rebuild a burnt-out building next to the church. The rehabilitated building would be used as a community center for legal fairs, health clinics and other "non-secular" purposes.

Post subject: Re: What Happened to Separation of Church & State?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:15 am 
Banned

It's August, did he really give in? What gripes my butt is these church fronts spring up all over the place, just to make money...not to spread wealth.

Churches should be required to pay property taxes, especially in our economic times now and property insurance. Gone are the days where you found every priest honest, every Reverend, like Jesse in a church.

They collect tithes, pass the basket around, but find time to protest about kids getting a 10,000 per pupil expenditure, but the wealthy get $7,000 more. While I am not an advocate of Meeks, you have to remember Blago promised him equal funding as opposed to Meeks running against him.

At least the guy is taking a stand...and when it comes to education - why not spend the money on the schools, education, parental involvment, so you don't wind up paying for a lifetime in prison or having kids out of wedlock, depending on a life-time of welfare.

That's my point.

And, churches are a business now'a'days. You don't have people contributing anymore and if they do...you surely wind up with a story such as I read recently. A priest gambling away church money.

Then you have the phedophile priests. And then you want to give the churches a tax break?

Give me a break.

Last edited by UrRight on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:21 am 

Churches should be required to pay property taxes

I couldn't disagree more. That is a very slippery slope to travel just to weed out some who have abused the system.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:35 am 
Banned

I think it is the biggest rip-off in America. Coming from a small town where the huge Catholic church is (one that resembles the one Diana married Charles in), we had free education by the nuns and because even to this day, the whole town is Catholic and still donates.

Never have they asked a penny from the Archdiocese and it's over 40 years later. That's a TRUE Church.

Supported by those who believe in the education and the money is appropriately handled.

But once I moved in Illinois at the age of eleven with two siblings older and two younger, it was a different lifestyle for my parents, and myself; not to mention my siblings.

When I attended public school, I couldn't catch the bus right outside my door...I had to walk in nice weather, and even cold weather at night if I wanted to paticipate in sports.

My parents had to ration out money.

Now I see the state stepping in and helping out those who needed it most over 40 years ago. The only difference is, the parents are not involved with their children, teaching morals and their leaders are no different. I would have shook my head at a mentor like Jesse Jackson at an early age. I would have asked what the hell is he calling his coalition a "Rainbow" coalition for, when there are no other colors involved but his own color.

I'm absolutely sick of the government, the corruption. Today I can actually say it, without guilt or remorse, the USA has its priorities wrong. Dead wrong.

Churches are self-supporting and we all know it. Time to end the era of giving them exemptions. Like you said, "The hand that feeds or helps you up, is the hand that holds you down."

In this case, the black churches, even the one big glamourous one in Munster, while the Rev's live in mansions, arrive in limousines, they get the tax break of a life-time, which makes me wonder...what church does Rev. Jackson preach at? He's living a free lifestyle.

Meeks, also with his bling...although I give him credit for wanting funding for education, why doesn't he do without the bling to set an example?

Or, the traitor, Louis Farrakhan? They're all phonies, even some Catholic churches...the honest ones closed up...the hypocritical ones moved where the money is..in Orland, or such places.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:18 am 
Banned

Blago the Clown is at it again....He wants more money sent to Pilgrim......Where will it go this time ????? It probably end up in some street gangs treasury.....How can a state agency mess up so bad and it get swept under the rug ????