Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Calumet City Mayoral Election
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:53 pm 

chugar52 wrote:
I also feel that this was just a "Z" tactic by the Mayor. "Z" caters to the Seniors, provides lunches at the taxpayers expense, but has them thinking that he alone is providing the lunches, and that's why he keeps getting elected. I agree with funnyman that there is NO reason the seniors had to go to vote early, but this was just for the Mayor to get them to vote for her and of course they went to Tom's Restaurant, which is owned by Nick, the 6th ward Alderman. The seniors in the Garden Homes and also the Victory Center vote right where they live. They don't have to go out in inclement weather to vote, so why were they bussed to go vote early? I think everyone can see right through this one.

The first day to vote early was March 16th, so I'm curious as to when this "bus trip" was. Are they being bussed several times or just once? Inquiring minds want to know.

Were they Thornton Township buses?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:28 pm 

LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:
I also feel that this was just a "Z" tactic by the Mayor. "Z" caters to the Seniors, provides lunches at the taxpayers expense, but has them thinking that he alone is providing the lunches, and that's why he keeps getting elected. I agree with funnyman that there is NO reason the seniors had to go to vote early, but this was just for the Mayor to get them to vote for her and of course they went to Tom's Restaurant, which is owned by Nick, the 6th ward Alderman. The seniors in the Garden Homes and also the Victory Center vote right where they live. They don't have to go out in inclement weather to vote, so why were they bussed to go vote early? I think everyone can see right through this one.

The first day to vote early was March 16th, so I'm curious as to when this "bus trip" was. Are they being bussed several times or just once? Inquiring minds want to know.

Were they Thornton Township buses?

I would think so since I don't think that the city has busses. Z and Michelle are very tight so I'm sure that he suggested this luncheon since it works so well for him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:42 pm 
Banned

Nice Try Mayor Quack....but you should have instructed your Secretary A.K.A; the voter taxi driver that you can only vote
once in each election......I guess you support the old school Chicago politics.....Vote early and Vote often///Duh they have
computers now lllll by the way they were township buses its the Z man doing his thing with taxpayer money

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:42 am 

I was told by a friend they received a phone call Monday night saying that early voting was still available and if they needed a ride to vote, that Mayor Michelle would provide the transportation. Desperate times means desperate measures and the mayor is sure desperate for votes. I’m sure the vehicles that will be used for this shuttle service is coming from Zuc and the township which is funded by property taxes to the township. I’ve been in CC for 32 years and I have never been offered a ride to vote by the mayor’s office. Is there a policy covering such? I bet not! Oh yeah, the Mayor will claim she is only providing a service and there is nothing illegal about it, but gee, did she provide that same service last November, or is she only doing so when her name is on the ballot? HUMMMM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:11 am 
Banned

Most of these rides are being provided by city employees.......on the clock ? who knows..........

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:56 am 

TIMES EDITORIAL: We pick Cap for Calumet City mayor

http://www.nwi.com/articles/2009/04/03/ ... 5358e5.txt

Hey Michelle, guess you need to change your signs that say your the only endorsed Democrating candidate, now Pam has the Time's endorsement. I'm sure you're not happy about this, so what else do you have up your sleeves besides offering rides to the polls.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:15 pm 
Banned

Recap on the cost of early voting in Calumet City 889 votes cast (3) Stroger Stooges @ $200 a day for 16 days= $10.80 a vote.....thats not counting the cost of moving the voting equipment to the polls and thats got to be a great contract for some family member...or friend Early voting what a joke//////

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:37 pm 

Quote:
Wilson stands in for ill mayor

By Gregory Tejeda - Times Correspondent

CALUMET CITY | Fourth Ward Alderman Brian Wilson got to be mayor, of sorts, for about a half-hour Thursday after Mayor Michelle Markiewicz Qualkinbush wasn't able to attend the City Council's scheduled meeting due to illness.

The aldermen unanimously voted to have Wilson act as chairman, and he presided over a meeting that lasted about 29 minutes.

The council tended to basic business and put off finalizing appointments to the Library Board and various deputy commissioners, on the grounds that Qualkinbush should be present when those positions are filled.

The council did, however, conduct a swearing-in ceremony for Rich Banske, a veteran of the Fire Department who was promoted to deputy chief.

Also, Wilson ordered the city clerk's office to draft two resolutions that will be presented to local residents at future council meetings -- one in honor of a man who celebrated his 94th birthday and the other to recognize a pastor who has been at his current church for 15 years.

An issue that cropped up was crime.

Several local residents criticized Calumet City leaders during the meeting's public comment portion, saying city politicians are not doing enough to make sure the streets are policed properly.

One resident said local teenagers put graffiti on a new sidewalk by her home while the cement was still wet, while another resident, Dee Perry, said her car was stolen from in front of her house. Perry said during the 25 years she lived in Chicago, she did not encounter the problems with crime that she has experienced in the past seven years living in Calumet City.

Another resident, Larry Caballero, said, "(The aldermen) are doing a terrible job. You should be ashamed of yourselves."

Wilson disagreed with Caballero's assessment.

"No, I do not" feel ashamed, he said.

Wilson said he sees the increase in crime as evidence of frustration from local residents who are suffering from economic struggles.

"They're resorting to petty crime," Wilson said, adding that local residents can tackle that problem by notifying city police promptly when crimes occur.

Wilson, who was first elected to the City Council in 2005, has been the subject of local speculation that he would like to pursue the mayor's seat in Calumet City in the near future. While saying he has no specific timetable for such a goal, he said "absolutely" when asked if he'd like to be mayor someday.

"I am a public official, and, if God blesses me someday by putting me in a position to be mayor, I would like that," he said.