Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Calumet City Mayoral Election
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:18 am 
Banned

Calumet City changed big time ......,in the late 80's and early 90's

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:05 am 
Banned

Quack and her dwarf with the state badge would give the Al Qaeda asylum if they thought there were a vote present...
Domingo got it right.....

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2009/02/14 ... 81e253.txt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:51 am 

Quote:
Northwest Indiana Times
Cal City to consider immigration ordinance

BY GREGORY TEJEDA
Times Correspondent | Saturday, February 14, 2009
CALUMET CITY | Municipal officials are likely to spend the next two to three months trying to craft an ordinance to protect non-U.S. citizens living this south suburb from being harassed by local law enforcement because of their immigration status.

The City Council on Thursday unanimously approved a measure sending the issue to the council's ordinance and resolution committee. If Calumet City ultimately passes such an ordinance, they would join Chicago, west suburban Cicero and Cook County.

First Ward Alderman Edward Gonzalez brought the issue to the council's attention, saying he and Mayor Michelle Markiewicz Qualkinbush recently attended a forum at St. Victor's Church. Members of the congregation with a heavy Latino segment told them they were concerned about police harassment.

Mayor Michelle Markiewicz Qualkinbush will do anything for the vote. If they are illegal, they can't vote.
Quote:
While the most recent Census Bureau report on Calumet City showed the south suburb with an 11 percent Latino population, local activists note that figure is nine years old, and they believe it has grown by now to about 20 percent of the total population of 37,064.

While Qualkinbush on Thursday did not comment on the issue, Gonzalez said he is proceeding only because he believes he has the mayor's support.

Ordinances in some big cities put restrictions on law enforcement officers preventing them from stopping and questioning people about their immigration status, not allowing them to pass along information they might obtain about a person's immigration status to federal authorities, and restricting their cooperation with Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials.

Advocates of such laws contend that enforcement of federal immigration laws is a complex issue best left to authorities trained in all its nuances.

So now Alderman Gonzalez is an authority on immigration. Or are his friends here illegally?
Quote:
"This isn't really about 'safe haven' as much as it's about keeping families together," said Gonzalez, who is an Illinois State Police officer. "It's wrong the way deportation can split a family apart."

If they go back to where they belong, they will not be apart.
Quote:
The ordinance and resolution committee chaired by 3rd Ward Alderman Thaddeus Jones is expected to schedule its first hearing on the issue some time later this month.

Gonzalez said he wants an ordinance relevant to Calumet City by April or May when a vote by the full City Council could take place.

Domingo Hernandez, a local resident whose family has been in the United States for at least four generations, said such an ordinance is unnecessary for Calumet City.

"Just because these other cities passed laws allowing illegals to be here and tell them how they should be treated does not mean we should do the same," Hernandez said. "We're talking about passing a law they don't get in their own country. I don't think it's fair."

I think the residents of Calumet City should show up at these hearings and protest this latest kick in the balls. Qualkinbush, just received your latest list of crap in the mail. Personally, I hope you lose, and they send you packing to Indiana, where you do live. Debate the issues.....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:32 pm 
Banned

Check the NWI times editorial....finally one I can really agree with....

http://nwi.com/articles/2009/02/22/opin ... ogcomments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:48 pm 

Is it just me, but does Thaddeus Jones get into a fight EVERY election?
The Times wrote:
Downey Park polling place sees fight, electioneering complaint

BY GREGORY TEJEDA
Times Correspondent | Tuesday, February 24, 2009
CALUMET CITY | Police had to break up a scuffle Tuesday morning between 3rd Ward Alderman Thaddeus Jones and a campaign worker for the write-in mayoral bid of Pam Cap that occurred at the polling place at Downey Park.

The polling place at 300 Jeffrey St. is where voters from four precincts cast their ballots, and police confirmed that a fight occurred, although no arrests were made.

Police Chief Edward Gilmore was present at the scene. He was not immediately available to comment.

But Cap, herself a Calumet City police sergeant, said Jones tried to push her campaign supporter out of the parking lot of the building where the voting booths were set up.

She said pushes escalated to punches, and that obscenities were used by both men in the incident.

In another incident at Downey Park, officials with the Cook County sheriff's police had to take measurements at the polling place to determine the point where the 100-foot boundary was. The Cook County Clerk's office confirmed complaints about people trying to persuade others how to vote within the allowed distance.

Bruce Crosby, a spokesman for 3rd Ward aldermanic candidate Karen Fields, said Jones kept trying to get closer than the minimum distance to persuade people to vote for him.

Jones was not available to comment on either incident.

Courtney Greve, a spokeswoman for the Cook County Clerk's office, said the only other complaints heard from Calumet City Tuesday morning involved a pair of polling place judges who arrived late for their duties.

Polling places opened at 6 a.m., and are scheduled to remain open until 7 p.m.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:55 am 

YES he does get into some fight every election, and yet the people in his ward keep electing him. WHY??????? What is wrong with the people in that ward? Why do they not see him for what he is, I will never know.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:42 pm 

Boy, when you drive around the gold coast area of Cal City you sure see a lot of Pam Cap signs. I have to believe the mayor is concerned about the support for Pam. Would not surprise me that there were some people who did support Mayor Michelle but have turned against her because of the Mayor's moves to have Pam knocked off of the ballot. Go Pam!!! You have a lot of supporters out there that believe we should have a choice.. unlike the current mayor.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:55 pm 

Pam Cap for Mayor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:44 pm 
Banned

Go Pam......Make history be the first to win the top job in CC by write-in

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:01 am 
Banned

George says there are no shennangans going on at city hall....Hard for me to believe this coming from the

"#1 Double Dipper at City Hall" Him and Burt are working hard to get another 4 years of gravy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:03 am 
Banned

ONE AND A HALF MILLION DOLLARS PAID;;; To the firms of Odlelson and Dennis Geonopolis what is the madam Quack doing with the taxpayers money She is making Jerry Genova look like a little leaguer when in come to legal spending

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:31 pm 

Candidate complains about free lunch"

http://nwi.com/articles/2009/03/26/news ... 00ec38.txt

Calumet City mayoral candidate Pam Cap is calling into question the ethics of her opponent Michelle Markiewicz Qualkinbush shuttling senior citizens to a free lunch and then to an early voting site earlier this month.

Gee, wasn't St Paddy's day on the 17th and the first available day to vote early was the 21st? If this is something the Mayor does all the time as she says, why not have the celebration the weekend before the holiday if that was your intention. Seems to me all the other St Paddy’s days celebrations prior to the holiday is done the weekend before. But since you decided to delay this event you decided, hey, let's give them a free shuttle ride to the cultural center in case they want to vote. Did you make sure they brought their IDs with them Mayor Michelle? This sounds like something Zuc would plan the way he caters to the Seniors. Why would these Seniors need to vote early anyway? I voted on the 21st because I’ll be out of town on election day. There is a polling place at the Garden Homes so why would then need to be shuttled to the cultural center to vote early, ohhhhh, because they just had a free lunch complements of the person they would see on the ballot. Sure Mayor Michelle, you didn’t do anything illegal, but ethical? Don’t worry Pan, she is doing this, beginning with getting you knocked of the ballot because she is scared. She has on her yard signs, “The Endorsed Democrat”. Duh, if she would have let you on the primary ballot, then you would have been the endorsed democrat after losing the primary to you. I voted early and I voted for Pam and Kelly, the right choice!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:51 pm 

I also feel that this was just a "Z" tactic by the Mayor. "Z" caters to the Seniors, provides lunches at the taxpayers expense, but has them thinking that he alone is providing the lunches, and that's why he keeps getting elected. I agree with funnyman that there is NO reason the seniors had to go to vote early, but this was just for the Mayor to get them to vote for her and of course they went to Tom's Restaurant, which is owned by Nick, the 6th ward Alderman. The seniors in the Garden Homes and also the Victory Center vote right where they live. They don't have to go out in inclement weather to vote, so why were they bussed to go vote early? I think everyone can see right through this one.

The first day to vote early was March 16th, so I'm curious as to when this "bus trip" was. Are they being bussed several times or just once? Inquiring minds want to know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:19 pm 

I also read in the article that having events for the seniors at Garden House and Victory Center was a regular thing. Gee, my mother-in-law was the first resident to move into the Victory Center and lived there up until last October, I never saw any event at the Victory Center that was sponserd by the City and Mayor. What kind of BS is she trying to tell us? :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:51 pm 
Banned

She is all BS....just lining her pockets...with the green stuff....also the pockets of her legal begals and double dipping ex police chiefs......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next