Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: S.D. 157 - Leave It Alone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:37 am 

LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:
All of the expenses for this weekend in Chicago? Let's see. Most people know that when someone goes to a conference, there is a special rate for the hotel rooms. I would say it is no more than $150 per night per person, which is about $300 per board member for 2 nights. Most of the time the vendors take out the Board members for dinner, at no cost to the district.
Excuse me, but this is NOT the wealthiest district in the state. If you think about it, this district will probably be trying to borrow money just to meet the payroll soon.

So how do you justify sending the entire Board to a conference? Why not just three or four. No, all of them. And just because they don't get paid is no reason to write a blank check for a conference. THEY chose to serve on this Board, and knew there was no paycheck.

And I am a taxpayer too, and this Board HAS to answer to me, not the other way around.

I have not heard anything about the board having to borrow money to make payroll. Do you work at the district and is that the rumor going around?

As far as all of the board members attending the conference, there are hundreds of sessions to attend, and to my knowledge, each member goes to different sessions to get different information. There are years that all of the board members don't attend the conference for whatever reason. This year they did, some years they don't.

You're right, the board members did choose to serve on the board and they know there is no paycheck, but the conference is training, not fun at the ballpark. There is a difference. I suggest you run for the board so that you can keep a reign on the money and volunteer your time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:12 am 

chugar52 wrote:
I suggest you run for the board so that you can keep a reign on the money and volunteer your time.

Guess I could have predicted that response.

As for borrowing money to meet payroll, do you even watch or listen to the news? We are headed for a recession, if we aren't already in one. Do you think people that have their homes foreclosed on are going to continue paying property taxes, even after they move out at midnight? Do you even have a grasp on reality? Are the vendors at these conferences going to "chip in" so that our wonderful Board can pay the light bill? It is time to tighten the belt.

What color is the sky in your world?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:19 am 

LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:
I suggest you run for the board so that you can keep a reign on the money and volunteer your time.

Guess I could have predicted that response.

As for borrowing money to meet payroll, do you even watch or listen to the news? We are headed for a recession, if we aren't already in one. Do you think people that have their homes foreclosed on are going to continue paying property taxes, even after they move out at midnight? Do you even have a grasp on reality? Are the vendors at these conferences going to "chip in" so that our wonderful Board can pay the light bill? It is time to tighten the belt.

What color is the sky in your world?

Point well taken.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:26 am 

When I worked, I had to attend conferences in Chicago and never spent the night. I took the train there and back everyday. My only reimbursement was my train ticket, or if I chose to drive my parking fee. There is no reason why these board members could not have done the same thing. But wait, then they would have missed the Festival of Lights Parade, and could not shop the Mag Mile for free. We all have to start tightening our belts. We are going to run out of money for our schools and with all the people out of work, we can't afford to pay anymore taxes. My friends, the well is running dry.
These board members knew when they took the position that there would be no pay for them and that the hours would be consuming. If they couldn't do it, then they should not have taken on the task. I'm sorry, things aren't like they were fifteen, twenty years ago. Now a days, times are hard and we have to stop needless spending. Not only in the schools, but also in our government.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:25 am 

funnyman wrote:
How unfair for people to even suggest the current D157 board is like the “old” board. They now have a competent Superintendent who works with the staff as a team. Teachers who were once contemplating on leaving the District as now happy with the work environment. The situation at D157 is much better then it was 2 years ago when the old board ran it to the ground. Now people are commenting on this forum that the board is wasting taxpayer’s money because the district is picking up the tab on hotel bills for when they are attending a conference. This conference is for all school districts in Illinois and it’s customary for the District board members and administrators who are located miles away to spend the night in downtown. Why should the local school board members and administrators be penalized just because they are only 20 miles away from the conference location. Why should they not be able to receive the same convenience as those other school districts by spending the night downtown? As Churgar52 pointed out, Board members do not get paid for the hours they spend serving the tax payers and children of the district. The few hundred dollars per board member this conference cost the tax payers is not an issue in my mind.

Also, the issue about changing the school name and lowering the academic standards for playing sports was something brought to the board by parents. This is not something the board is recommending. Please read the articles thoroughly before jumping to conclusions and pointing the finger at the wrong people.

In both articles the board did state that lowering standards and changing the name were things that the board would consider. Now that they see it in writing it seems like it may be a point of contention. Also, I don't think too many of the taxpayers would tolerate changing the name for the sake of The Messiah winning an election.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:41 am 

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
funnyman wrote:
How unfair for people to even suggest the current D157 board is like the “old” board. They now have a competent Superintendent who works with the staff as a team. Teachers who were once contemplating on leaving the District as now happy with the work environment. The situation at D157 is much better then it was 2 years ago when the old board ran it to the ground. Now people are commenting on this forum that the board is wasting taxpayer’s money because the district is picking up the tab on hotel bills for when they are attending a conference. This conference is for all school districts in Illinois and it’s customary for the District board members and administrators who are located miles away to spend the night in downtown. Why should the local school board members and administrators be penalized just because they are only 20 miles away from the conference location. Why should they not be able to receive the same convenience as those other school districts by spending the night downtown? As Churgar52 pointed out, Board members do not get paid for the hours they spend serving the tax payers and children of the district. The few hundred dollars per board member this conference cost the tax payers is not an issue in my mind.

Also, the issue about changing the school name and lowering the academic standards for playing sports was something brought to the board by parents. This is not something the board is recommending. Please read the articles thoroughly before jumping to conclusions and pointing the finger at the wrong people.

In both articles the board did state that lowering standards and changing the name were things that the board would consider. Now that they see it in writing it seems like it may be a point of contention. Also, I don't think too many of the taxpayers would tolerate changing the name for the sake of The Messiah winning an election.

ONE board member said that at a meeting. That is NOT the opinion of the entire board. Until the board votes on something, it is only talk. Nothing is implemented or changed until the board takes action and votes on an issue. Even then, every board member votes how they see fit. I personally feel that it is disrespectful to change the name of a school from a President who earned the honor of having a school named after him to someone who hasn't even been inaugurated yet. I also feel that children are students first and with the NCLB requirements, the children have to worry about their studies first before extracurricular activities. I wholeheartedly support maintaining the B average. However, if the board does not approve that policy and they approve the child maintaining a C average, they are not lowering the standards. It is in State Code that the children have to maintain a C Average, but it is up to the individual school to set what policy they see fit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:53 am 

chugar52 wrote:
ONE board member said that at a meeting. That is NOT the opinion of the entire board. Until the board votes on something, it is only talk. Nothing is implemented or changed until the board takes action and votes on an issue. Even then, every board member votes how they see fit. I personally feel that it is disrespectful to change the name of a school from a President who earned the honor of having a school named after him to someone who hasn't even been inaugurated yet. I also feel that children are students first and with the NCLB requirements, the children have to worry about their studies first before extracurricular activities. I wholeheartedly support maintaining the B average. However, if the board does not approve that policy and they approve the child maintaining a C average, they are not lowering the standards. It is in State Code that the children have to maintain a C Average, but it is up to the individual school to set what policy they see fit.

And that ONE board member was Board President Natalie Barnes. Not very responsible, if she meant it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:57 pm 

Lucy…This current school board has hired a competent superintendent without costing the district an arm and a leg, this new board encouraged a highly qualified and dedicated Schrum Principal to return to D157 because she left 2 years ago because she didn’t want to deal with the turmoil and BS generated by the old school board and Hendicks. The schools have made AYP and have programs in place to maintain this status, yet you’re going to get on a band wagon to have these board members voted out next spring because the District picked up less than $400 per board member to spend 2 nights downtown? D157 has consistently run in the black financially benefiting from the River Oaks shopping Center’s and will now benefit from the new Sam’s Club when that property gets on the tax payrolls. I agree, the economy is struggling and there are a lot of foreclosures which may/will affect the revenues into the District. You also have the legitimate comment about the District watching their spending, but to suggest these board members be replaced is ridiculous. Who do you think will step in, ahh, I think the old board members who lost the last election and will run again taking advantage of unfair criticism they are receiving from you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:12 pm 

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
funnyman wrote:

Saying the board will take this into consideration is a common phrase at board meetings, that does not mean they agree or disagree, it just pacifies the visitor that the board will consider the comment or suggestion. Don’t take such a comment made as an agreement to the suggestion by the visitor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:21 pm 

funnyman wrote:
Lucy…This current school board has hired a competent superintendent without costing the district an arm and a leg, this new board encouraged a highly qualified and dedicated Schrum Principal to return to D157 because she left 2 years ago because she didn’t want to deal with the turmoil and BS generated by the old school board and Hendicks. The schools have made AYP and have programs in place to maintain this status, yet you’re going to get on a band wagon to have these board members voted out next spring because the District picked up less than $400 per board member to spend 2 nights downtown? D157 has consistently run in the black financially benefiting from the River Oaks shopping Center’s and will now benefit from the new Sam’s Club when that property gets on the tax payrolls. I agree, the economy is struggling and there are a lot of foreclosures which may/will affect the revenues into the District. You also have the legitimate comment about the District watching their spending, but to suggest these board members be replaced is ridiculous. Who do you think will step in, ahh, I think the old board members who lost the last election and will run again taking advantage of unfair criticism they are receiving from you.

You are so right funnyman. The 'OLD" board will run and if they get elected, then everyone on here will really see what wasteful spending is. They had a totally incompetent Superintendent that is suing for about $250,000, she went over budget on furniture for her office by almost $1000, by buying a leather couch and Stratolounger chairs, wanted $700 filing cabinets, etc. The Superintendent and her cronies went on trips, not only to Chicago for 2 nights, but they went for 3 nights. They went to Virginia for several days and to Florida for several days for the Black conferences, not the National School Board Conference. One of the conferences was not even for the Board members, but for Educators, but the board members went anyway. It's not only the wasteful spending by the old board, but what about the turmoil in the district that happened 2 years ago!!! Does anyone on here know that Hendricks did the same BS in D88 and was put on Administrative Leave and resigned and got a payout for resigning? So, my feeling is that if that's what the taxpayers want, then they should support the old board members in the upcoming election in April and we can all go back in time to 2 years ago. PURE HELL!!!!!!!!

Last edited by chugar52 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:39 pm 

Funnyman, I never once stated that the new board members should be replaced. I think they are doing a great job so far. All I said was that through these economic times we all need to decide what is important and what isn't. Sending the board members to the conference in Chicago was a good idea. I'm sure they all came back with a plethora of information. My concern was spending the money so they could stay the two nights was not a wise decision. There was no reason why they could not have taken the train home or even car pooled and paid for parking. Times are bad and getting worse. People are losing their jobs, they are struggling to put food on their tables and paying their bills, yet we paid for the members to spend two nights in Chicago. I would have rather seen that money go to some unfortunate families so they could have a nice holiday. When will it end.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:18 pm 

Lucie wrote:
Funnyman, I never once stated that the new board members should be replaced. I think they are doing a great job so far. All I said was that through these economic times we all need to decide what is important and what isn't. Sending the board members to the conference in Chicago was a good idea. I'm sure they all came back with a plethora of information. My concern was spending the money so they could stay the two nights was not a wise decision. There was no reason why they could not have taken the train home or even car pooled and paid for parking. Times are bad and getting worse. People are losing their jobs, they are struggling to put food on their tables and paying their bills, yet we paid for the members to spend two nights in Chicago. I would have rather seen that money go to some unfortunate families so they could have a nice holiday. When will it end.

I guess I interpreted your comment "First we are changing the name to Barack Obama Academy, and now we are emphasizing basketball over reading, math, and science. Looks like the parents want to run the school district. Maybe last year, the school board election was a mistake. Looks like the old board members are back." as a way of suggesting the current board is just like the old board, my mistake.

You're right, the board could have saved money by going home on Friday and Saturday night, but unlike many of the other local school districts that are in the RED, D157 is healthy. But I respect your opinion and encourage you to continue to express your opinon. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:03 pm 

funnyman wrote:
I guess I interpreted your comment "First we are changing the name to Barack Obama Academy, and now we are emphasizing basketball over reading, math, and science. Looks like the parents want to run the school district. Maybe last year, the school board election was a mistake. Looks like the old board members are back." as a way of suggesting the current board is just like the old board, my mistake.

I guess your interpretation is flawed. I wrote the above, and I am still of the opinion that, this board could be a little more frugal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:09 pm 

chugar52 wrote:

If the ONE board member, which happens to be the president of the board, expresses an opinion, that opinion should be unbiased, and worded so as not to offend either side until such action is taken.

Secondly, I don't remember anyone suggesting that we get rid or any board members or superintendents. I merely made a statement suggesting that perhaps this board is falling back into some habits previously experienced. It is too bad you cannot field criticism.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:51 pm 

funnyman wrote:

Once again, you are confusing what I have written with what Lucie has written. Are you under 85 years old?

Secondly, I agree. This board has made great strides in improving the environment for learning. BUT, my point, and this is the last time I will state it, I believe, with the economics as they exist, that the board wasting $400 each is a slap in the face to anybody who has lost their homes, jobs, and still faces the next installment of the taxman. If you think for a minute Sam's Club is going to help this district, you are again sadly mistaken. They will not be paying any property taxes (to speak of) for TEN more years. In addition, if you think Day Care centers, nail salons, and tatoo parlors are a viable source of property taxes, again, wake up.

Finally, again, nobody has suggested replacing anyone. Just pointing out similarities from the past. Take it whichever way you wish. I personally campaigned for this board. And I still believe (with one exception) that it is an excellent governing body. Just use a little common sense people.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next