Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Inmate or Education
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:01 am 

Which came first the chicken or the egg question? This time it’s the question of spending tax dollars to house the convicted or spend tax dollars towards education. Education is the long range solution to an old problem; incarceration is the quick fix that aggravates the issue, but keeps on giving on the negative side. Any area with a crime rate shares the common denominator of an un-educated population.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009020 ... /902090370

Post subject: Re: Inmate or Education
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:13 am 

Build more prisons and make being in prison a deterrent.

14 hours a day making little rocks out of big rocks.

Death Row gets 2 appeals and sentence carried out 5 years after the conviction.

Throwing money at education in hopes that it will solve the crises facing America's crime rate is not even a stop gap measure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:25 pm 

“And the band played on, round and a round we go, where we’re headed nobody knows”. Prison is no more than a place for higher crime learning, with graduates freed back into society. With the repeat offender rate over 70% more jails versus education is not benefiting the civil population that becomes pray due in part to a reactionary law enforcement, who suggest that you shouldn’t resist. The don’t resist is a built in “job security” against vigilante tactics’, not pretty but effective and swift.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:17 am 

Perhaps if we give Chicago Public Schools a couple billion dollars it will make things just peachy......Yes?

'Painful Lessons': Abuse At Chicago Schools

Hundreds Of Kids Beaten, Whipped, Even Choked By Teachers, Coaches Reporting
Dave Savini CHICAGO (CBS) ―

Hundreds of students have allegedly been beaten by teachers, coaches and staff at Chicago Public Schools. 2 Investigator Dave Savini continues his ongoing investigation involving the illegal use corporal punishment.

Treveon Martin, 10, is one of at least 818 Chicago Public School students, since 2003, to allege being battered by a teacher or other staff member.

Treveon Martin, 10, is afraid of a teacher at his school.

"I've seen him hit five of them in the classroom," Martin said.

Martin says he and others have been hit, grabbed and even struck with a belt.

"He's threatened almost all the kids in his classroom," Martin said.

He says it happened at Robert Emmet Academy in November but a Chicago Public School investigator didn't talk to him until last week - 70 days after the case was reported, and not until after we started asking questions.

"He holded my arms and he picked my body up, and then he just slammed me on the desk," Martin said.

http://cbs2chicago.com/investigations/P ... 31134.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:11 am 

The penal system in this country is the new slavery. They make a lot of money from it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:56 pm 

Screech wrote:
The penal system in this country is the new slavery. They make a lot of money from it.

Then why do I have to cut my own grass and shovel my own snow...?

:smt005

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:14 am 

Google the school district where crime is an issue and compare the dollar cost per student. Education is an investment in the future for success. Failure to do so is a guarantee of low earnings or illegal means of earnings a living. At the top of location prerequisite list before a sizable business invest it’s revenue into an area is the populations education level. Unless their interested in the business of incarceration.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:40 am 

USMarine wrote:
Screech wrote:

Then why do I have to cut my own grass and shovel my own snow...?

:smt005

I have to do that stuff myself. I guess we just are not special enough. We don't own the plantation, bro.