Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: POSSIBLE ANSWER FOR FREETIME = Chips in official IDs raise p
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:56 am 

mattlap wrote:
sparks wrote:
Placing RFID chips in driver's licenses and passports has nothing to do with wiretapping. The purpose of using this technology is to make it more difficult for terrorists or criminals to obtain false ID's. RFID chips don't target US citizens,they add another layer of security
for US citizens. Judging by the tone of your post,you really have your shorts in a bunch over this issue. It must be hard to spend your days cowering in fear over some imaginary threat you feel our government is trying to perpetrate against you. Listen to that wingnut stuff long enough and you might end up like this guy

Whatever their intentions, these are not the brightest kids on the block when it comes to security. RFID is easily hacked and identity thieves are exploiting the technology on an every day basis. Now only can they use receivers to gain access to my credit card information, but now they can get my address, my DOB, my DL number and more off of my RFID tagged Drivers License to complete my information. Lets add my SS# off my passport ... And they can just open new accounts left and right.

The security of RFID is just not there yet, and the government requiring it is putting my information at risk. Already RFID credit cards, transit cards, and passports have been hacked.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090711/ap_on_bi_ge/us_chipping_america_iv

Quote:
Climbing into his Volvo, outfitted with a Matrics antenna and a Motorola reader he'd bought on eBay for $190, Chris Paget cruised the streets of San Francisco with this objective: To read the identity cards of strangers, wirelessly, without ever leaving his car.

It took him 20 minutes to strike hacker's gold.

Zipping past Fisherman's Wharf, his scanner detected, then downloaded to his laptop, the unique serial numbers of two pedestrians' electronic U.S. passport cards embedded with radio frequency identification, or RFID, tags. Within an hour, he'd "skimmed" the identifiers of four more of the new, microchipped PASS cards from a distance of 20 feet.

Embedding identity documents — passports, drivers licenses, and the like — with RFID chips is a no-brainer to government officials. Increasingly, they are promoting it as a 21st century application of technology that will help speed border crossings, safeguard credentials against counterfeiters, and keep terrorists from sneaking into the country.

But Paget's February experiment demonstrated something privacy advocates had feared for years: That RFID, coupled with other technologies, could make people trackable without their knowledge or consent.

But then again ..... it's nothing that a hammer can't be used to disable .......

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.01/start.html?pg=9

Quote:
4) The best approach? Hammer time. Hitting the chip with a blunt, hard object should disable it. A nonworking RFID doesn’t invalidate the passport, so you can still use it.

HUMM, now I got a decision to make. Microwave or sledgehammer ! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:13 pm 

sparks wrote:
happy jack wrote:
sparks wrote:
Modern technology continues to to improve our lives. Used correctly, RFID chips will allow police to solve crimes and prevent terrorist attacks, which is the purpose of placing the chips in ID's. One of the basic functions of government is to protect it's citizens. I'm glad to see our government is taking steps to make us more secure.

Based on your above post, I will have to assume that you were perfectly OK with eavesdropping on phone calls by the Bush administration, so long as one half of the call originated outside of the U.S. That process, after all, was implemented to prevent terrorist attacks, as you claim this one will. But whereas the former was primarily designed to spy on the foreign half of the communication, this new plan, which you apparently love, will target U.S. citizens, and only U.S. citizens.
So, if I understand you correctly, you are A-OK with both procedures, correct?

Placing RFID chips in driver's licenses and passports has nothing to do with wiretapping. The purpose of using this technology is to make it more difficult for terrorists or criminals to obtain false ID's. RFID chips don't target US citizens,they add another layer of security
for US citizens. Judging by the tone of your post,you really have your shorts in a bunch over this issue. It must be hard to spend your days cowering in fear over some imaginary threat you feel our government is trying to perpetrate against you. Listen to that wingnut stuff long enough and you might end up like this guy

I never said that placing RFID chips in driver's licenses and passports had anything to do with wiretapping. But it has plenty to do with the ability of the government to track individual movements. And of course they target U.S. citizens; U.S. citizens are virtually the only ones who would be applying for the IDs, aren't they?
And why do you have such an unhealthy fascination with my shorts, anyway?

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:24 pm 

No! Keep those darn things out of it, please.
RFID is important!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:58 am 

mattlap wrote:
sparks wrote:

Whatever their intentions, these are not the brightest kids on the block when it comes to security. RFID is easily hacked and identity thieves are exploiting the technology on an every day basis. Now only can they use receivers to gain access to my credit card information, but now they can get my address, my DOB, my DL number and more off of my RFID tagged Drivers License to complete my information. Lets add my SS# off my passport ... And they can just open new accounts left and right.
The security of RFID is just not there yet, and the government requiring it is putting my information at risk. Already RFID credit cards, transit cards, and passports have been hacked.
You raise some valid points. However, as with any new technology,refinements will be made. That process has already been started,as you can see here
Quote:
The department will also implement Basic Access Control (BAC), which functions as a Personal Identification Number (PIN) in the form of characters printed on the passport data page. Before a passport's tag can be read, this PIN must be entered into an RFID reader. The BAC also enables the encryption of any communication between the chip and interrogator that needs to be refined.

I'm actually kind of surprised that you are siding with the conspiracy whackos on this issue.Computers and technology have created huge improvements in our world in the last thirty years and will continue to do so in the future. Technology has made identity theft harder and will continue to do so in the future. The majority of identity theft crimes are committed by common criminals who steal your wallet, not by hackers. Most of the people with the talent to hack digital signals find it easier to earn money honestly. I also noticed that no one in this thread has addressed the use of cell phone or wireless computer access, two uses of technology which already present significant privacy risks for users.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:51 am 

sparks wrote:
You raise some valid points. However, as with any new technology,refinements will be made. That process has already been started,as you can see here
Quote:
The department will also implement Basic Access Control (BAC), which functions as a Personal Identification Number (PIN) in the form of characters printed on the passport data page. Before a passport's tag can be read, this PIN must be entered into an RFID reader. The BAC also enables the encryption of any communication between the chip and interrogator that needs to be refined.

I'm actually kind of surprised that you are siding with the conspiracy whackos on this issue.Computers and technology have created huge improvements in our world in the last thirty years and will continue to do so in the future. Technology has made identity theft harder and will continue to do so in the future. The majority of identity theft crimes are committed by common criminals who steal your wallet, not by hackers. Most of the people with the talent to hack digital signals find it easier to earn money honestly. I also noticed that no one in this thread has addressed the use of cell phone or wireless computer access, two uses of technology which already present significant privacy risks for users.

Your blurb on personal identification numbers for passports came from an October 2005 release by the US State Department, sadly by October 2006 hackers had already broken the protocol used by US passports.

US passports use a RFID chip that supports ISO 14443 RFID specifications. Here is a list of pages that tell you exactly how to hack that specification.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7863803/Rfid-Skimmer
http://hackingwifi.blogspot.com/2008/11/rfdump-is-backend-gpl-tool-to-directly.html
http://www.rf-dump.org/

Identity theft can be done many ways. From the guy that pick pockets to mailbox theft. But there are identity thieves that use hacking to gain access to huge amounts of information at one time. This information is then sold on the underground in huge amounts. They prey on computer networks that have lax security. There are many websites devoted to teaching exactly how to find this information. 2600 magazine has been around for more than 20 years teaching how to take advantage of the system, in addition to 1000s of hacking, phreaking and warez websties.

And so much for RFID in passports being used for security reasons.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4467106.ece

Quote:
New microchipped passports designed to be foolproof against identity theft can be cloned and manipulated in minutes and accepted as genuine by the computer software recommended for use at international airports.

Tests for The Times exposed security flaws in the microchips introduced to protect against terrorism and organised crime. The flaws also undermine claims that 3,000 blank passports stolen last week were worthless because they could not be forged.

In the tests, a computer researcher cloned the chips on two British passports and implanted digital images of Osama bin Laden and a suicide bomber. The altered chips were then passed as genuine by passport reader software used by the UN agency that sets standards for e-passports.

I don't think being worried about privacy is being a conspiracy wacko, as you put it. There are constant intrusions into our every day lives by not only the government, but private industry as well. These users of our information have also proven incompetent or unwilling to protect our information from others that are looking to use it criminally.

And you are correct that mobile data usage of cell phones and wifi usage are both filled with security threats. The majority don't know how accessible their information is, but many also do and take the steps to protect themselves. I myself have sat at numerous open access sites (Panera, Borders, Starbucks) and sent emails to users via their own computers telling them that I could have hacked them.

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe