Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kim Krull Hits Corrupt Lake County Democrats
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:49 am 

Defeatism and concession won't win anything.

That is what the corrupt Democrats count on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:21 am 

I just think I'm being realistic. Remember, you're living in an area that considers people like Robert Pastrick, Stephen Stiglich, and Robert Cantrell to be folk heroes. These people are revered and spoken of in a hushed tone of voice wherever union goons and redundant municipal and county employees gather.

Fifty years of history tells me I'm right.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:20 am 

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
I just think I'm being realistic.

Perhaps that's why we need people who think outside the box instead of inside.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:04 am 

As long as the corrupt Democrat slime continues to ooze throughout Lake County, economic development is impossible and jobs will continue to leave.

Cleaning out the cesspool of corrupt Democrat slime in Lake County is a sewage reclamation project.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:31 am 

Dick_Tracy wrote:
Perhaps that's why we need people who think outside the box instead of inside.

That's beyond the comprehension of 96% of LC voters.

CPWatcher wrote:
As long as the corrupt Democrat slime continues to ooze throughout Lake County, economic development is impossible and jobs will continue to leave.

You'll always get you share of low-paying, low-skill, dead-end retail work and short-lived spurts of activity in your shrinking heavy-industrial sector. Those brief rebounds always seem to be just enough to convince the aforementioned 96% that happy days are here again and they can all go back to shoveling coke into furnaces for $42.50/hr. plus benefits.

CPWatcher wrote:
Cleaning out the cesspool of corrupt Democrat slime in Lake County is a sewage reclamation project.

Fifty years and counting with very little or nothing to show for the "effort".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:34 am 

The longest and toughest voyage begins with a single step.

If Wasington, Adams and Jefferson had said "There's nothing we can do, we've been owned by England for over a hundred years, we'd still be singing "God save the Queen."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:07 am 

Its your county, not mine (thank Heaven above).

Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:14 am 

CPWatcher wrote:
The longest and toughest voyage begins with a single step.

If Wasington, Adams and Jefferson had said "There's nothing we can do, we've been owned by England for over a hundred years, we'd still be singing "God save the Queen."

So instead the Lake County Republican Party has been flailing around like the French ......

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:25 pm 

Few armies had less chance of winning than the American colonists against the British, the most powerful army on earth at that time.

There were 77 minutemen at Concord Bridge when the "the shot heard round the world" was fired starting the American Revolution.

Never underestimate the power of a small dedicated group to change the world. Indeed, nothing else ever has.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:14 pm 

The best thing the Lake County GOP has going for it is the incredible and disgusting level of political corruption of the Lake County Democrats. It is reaching a critical mass.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:25 pm 

The power base is slowly being moved to Oxford, WI. I see a great opportunity for republicans to inspire the hearts of those who believe in a better lake county. Politics as usual won't cut it anymore. The citizens are demanding more from their leaders and the current leaders are unable to provide.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:02 pm 

Dick_Tracy wrote:
The power base is slowly being moved to Oxford, WI. I see a great opportunity for republicans to inspire the hearts of those who believe in a better lake county. Politics as usual won't cut it anymore. The citizens are demanding more from their leaders and the current leaders are unable to provide.

Maybe at your end of the county. In the population centers up north, all the "leaders" need to provide for the troglodytes are summer jobs for their kids lifeguarding at empty pools, easy access to cigarettes, and a promise that a return to the glory days of bountiful "good union jobs" at the mills are right around the corner.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:37 am 

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
No politician is "my man". I hold all politicians in contempt and have nothing but disdain for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:55 am 
Banned

CPWatcher wrote:
The best thing the Lake County GOP has going for it is the incredible and disgusting level of political corruption of the Lake County Democrats. It is reaching a critical mass.

I wish I could agree, but I don't. I used to have hope but I now realize that there is NO LEVEL of shenanigans that this constituency will not tolerate, forgive, and re-elect.
As an example, there is nothing short of his own resignation that could remove Slippery Pete Visclosky from office. Nothing.
A few years back on the other board, I got into it with OLDLYINGTURD540 and pointed out how local corruption affected his life and took more $$$ out of his pocket than national politics ever will. I got the obligatory "BULLSHIT" or maybe an "I DON'T GIVE A s*** ABOUT LOCAL POLITICS". It's a common sentiment, especially amongst liberal Democrats who have always "winked" at corruption as long as the patronage and pork kept on flowing.

The only hope for change is to move because it will never change. Never.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:10 am 

Quote:
For Northwest Indiana, Visclosky's troubles are just another political cloud
Posted: June 5, 2009

CROWN POINT, Ind.

The front-page headline peering out from a newspaper box on a recent morning here summed up the troubles swirling around Pete Visclosky, this region's longtime Democratic congressman.
Advertisement

"Subpoenas put Pete in Spotlight," the headline blared.

Indeed, they have.

From Northwest Indiana to Capitol Hill, Visclosky's legal issues are big news. Federal investigators are digging into his relationship with a once powerful but now-defunct defense industry lobbying group, raising questions about campaign contributions the firm gave Visclosky and the millions of dollars in federal earmarks he steered to the firm's clients.

The investigation has political insiders wondering about the future of a man who has represented Indiana's 1st District for 13 terms. Not surprisingly, it also has Republicans taking aim at a politician they've never been able to bruise at the ballot box.

But in Lake County, a place where political scandals drop like rain in the spring, it seems few people worry much about the controversy. It will take more than a little federal investigation -- or even a big one -- to get folks worked up here in the land of infamous machine politics.

"We have a high tolerance for being B.S.'d and putting up with everything else politicians do," an antique dealer named Bob Urban said as he stood in the Crown Point Antique Mall this week. "They all look out for themselves. We understand."

Sadly, those of us with ties to Northwest Indiana do indeed understand. Reading the local paper's political coverage while growing up here in the 1970s and '80s wasn't much different from reading the police blotter. And while I must admit much of my fondness for this region stems from its colorful political history, that history of corruption has helped hold the area back.

"Hey, we're not as bad as Chicago," Linda Lohman, a bookkeeper from Crown Point, informed me as I wandered around the city's charming courthouse square.

Her comment helps explain the tolerance locals have for political scandal. The people of Northwest Indiana live and breathe Chicago sports and politics. They hear more about Illinois' governor than about Indiana's. So would you expect an area that lived through the Rod Blagojevich years and decades of Chicago shenanigans, as well as their own politicians' foibles, to blink at word that a grand jury has subpoenaed their congressman's records?

"It's like a vendetta," Ray Kasprzak, a retired steelworker from Portage, said as he got into his Chevrolet Caprice outside a Walgreens. "With everything else, it's like they're going after the Democrats."

He wasn't worried about the details: Visclosky received $1.4 million in contributions from the PMA Group over the years. His former chief of staff worked for the company. And Visclosky played a part in arranging more than $23 million in earmarks to the firm's clients in 2008.

This is just an investigation, of course. No formal charges have been filed. But the Indiana Republican Party has justifiably pointed to "the ethical cloud lingering over Congressman Pete Visclosky."

That legal cloud is a heavy one.

Still, Visclosky is widely admired here as a champion of the crucial steel industry. Many residents call him simply "Pete." As I drove around his district, I found few people worried about things like ethical clouds.

"They're fed up with it," a man named Harry insisted as he worked outside an American Legion post in Crown Point. "But there's so much of this stuff going on, the thought is, 'Oh, well, here's another one.'

"We're used to it."

And to think that most of those comments were from folks from CP where the GOP is still considered a stronghold. Yes, I think you have a point about nobody caring about corruption in Lake County. Maybe they will once they don't have any money to spend to go to the boats anymore.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next