Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:57 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:42 pm
Posts: 7910
We have the right to work for less
In "Right to Work for Less" states, annual workers' wages are $1,500 lower. The rate of workplace deaths is 51 percent higher, and Workers' Compensation benefits are lower. These states have higher levels of poverty, infant mortality, less access to health care, poorer educational opportunities and more inadequate social services.
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/2 ... -work-less

_________________
"Get government out of my Medicare!"- A typical conservative moron who votes republican


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:07 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 3064
Location: In the trenches
edge540 wrote:
We have the right to work for less
In "Right to Work for Less" states, annual workers' wages are $1,500 lower. The rate of workplace deaths is 51 percent higher, and Workers' Compensation benefits are lower. These states have higher levels of poverty, infant mortality, less access to health care, poorer educational opportunities and more inadequate social services.
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/2 ... -work-less

That's what they want Indiana to be...the land of hamburger flippers, oil changers, and wal-mart greeters....thanks to the Repub Rubes...
Just take a look at the Times article this past Sunday...

Quote:
In Eli Lilly's case, it is competing for talent against pharmaceutical companies in states such as Massachusetts:
"When you are looking for one great mind to help with the next breakthrough treatment for cancer, for Alzheimer's, for diabetes, for depression ... if your city or state or company does not seem to look as progressive or appreciative of diverse perspectives, then people say, 'Know what? I can take my talents elsewhere.'"

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/business-social-legislation-may-be-killing-indiana-jobs/article_50de74dd-f22a-59be-b65e-52f5623988fc.html#ixzz1h6TM74m4

_________________

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:14 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:49 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Stupid Liberals!
chuckmo48 wrote:
edge540 wrote:
We have the right to work for less
In "Right to Work for Less" states, annual workers' wages are $1,500 lower. The rate of workplace deaths is 51 percent higher, and Workers' Compensation benefits are lower. These states have higher levels of poverty, infant mortality, less access to health care, poorer educational opportunities and more inadequate social services.
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/2 ... -work-less

That's what they want Indiana to be...the land of hamburger flippers, oil changers, and wal-mart greeters....thanks to the Repub Rubes...
Just take a look at the Times article this past Sunday...

Quote:
In Eli Lilly's case, it is competing for talent against pharmaceutical companies in states such as Massachusetts:
"When you are looking for one great mind to help with the next breakthrough treatment for cancer, for Alzheimer's, for diabetes, for depression ... if your city or state or company does not seem to look as progressive or appreciative of diverse perspectives, then people say, 'Know what? I can take my talents elsewhere.'"

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/business-social-legislation-may-be-killing-indiana-jobs/article_50de74dd-f22a-59be-b65e-52f5623988fc.html#ixzz1h6TM74m4

Are the people who are the one great mind they are looking for to cure cancer or Alzheimer's unionized?

I think not.

They are highly paid, because they are highly skilled.

If I know how to drive a tri-axle dump truck, should I not be allowed to work because I am not in the union, and I am willing to accept $20.00 an hour instead of $40.00?

That is what we are talking about.

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:37 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:49 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Stupid Liberals!
Senate committee approves right-to-work

INDIANAPOLIS | The Republican-controlled Indiana Senate likely will debate and vote on right-to-work legislation next week after the Senate labor committee voted 6-4 to approve the proposal Friday.

State Sen. Brent Waltz, R-Greenwood, broke with his Republican colleagues to join the three committee Democrats voting "no" on Senate Bill 269. Waltz said he will support right-to-work only if it exempts building trades unions.

For 5 1/2 hours Friday, members of the Senate and House labor committees met in a rare joint session to hear testimony supporting and opposing right-to-work, which would allow nonunion employees at a union workplace to receive union services without paying for them.

State Sen. Carlin Yoder, R-Middlebury, sponsor of the legislation, said Indiana owes it to the 9 percent of unemployed Hoosiers to do everything it can to create jobs for them, including enacting right-to-work.

"There's no question in my mind that at the very least there's a possibility of new jobs coming to the state of Indiana," Yoder said.

But Indiana needs only to look at Oklahoma, the most recent state to approve a right-to-work law, to know that's not true, said Gordon Lafer, a University of Oregon labor expert.

Despite promises that right-to-work would bring more manufacturing to Oklahoma after the law was enacted in 2001, the state actually has lost a third of its manufacturing jobs in the past decade, Lafer said.

"Every single prediction made by right-to-work proponents, including site selection consultants, was wrong," Lafer said. "What's the reason for believing the formula that failed in Oklahoma will succeed here?"

State Sens. Jim Arnold, D-LaPorte, and Karen Tallian, D-Ogden Dunes, voted against the right-to-work legislation.

The House members attending the joint committee hearing, including state Rep. Chuck Moseley, D-Portage, could not vote on House Bill 1001, an identical right-to-work proposal, because House Democrats continued their session boycott for a third day, preventing the legislation from being introduced and assigned to committee.

House Speaker Brian Bosma, R-Indianapolis, said no-show Democrats are now eligible to be fined $1,000 a day under an "anti-bolting" law enacted following last year's five-week Democratic walkout.

But Bosma said he will wait until next week to decide whether to ask a court to impose the fine

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:20 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 3064
Location: In the trenches
ArcelorMittal CEO bemoans right-to-work 'distraction'
Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS | The CEO of ArcelorMittal USA believes right-to-work legislation is "a distraction" and has urged the Indiana Chamber of Commerce to stop pushing for the labor policy.

In a letter to the state business association, Mike Rippey said unions aren't to blame for Indiana's 9 percent unemployment rate

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/arcelormittal-ceo-bemoans-right-to-work-distraction/article_23c0b1a2-e662-53d4-9b81-c8f17d244c09.html#ixzz1iqCsGee7

This is not a union person talking, but the CEO complaining about the repub rubes in Indy

_________________

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:50 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:17 pm
Posts: 3800
chuckmo48 wrote:
ArcelorMittal CEO bemoans right-to-work 'distraction'
Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS | The CEO of ArcelorMittal USA believes right-to-work legislation is "a distraction" and has urged the Indiana Chamber of Commerce to stop pushing for the labor policy.

In a letter to the state business association, Mike Rippey said unions aren't to blame for Indiana's 9 percent unemployment rate

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/arcelormittal-ceo-bemoans-right-to-work-distraction/article_23c0b1a2-e662-53d4-9b81-c8f17d244c09.html#ixzz1iqCsGee7

This is not a union person talking, but the CEO complaining about the repub rubes in Indy

Others from the business community have been bashing the Indiana Republicans for advancing "social legislation" like bring your gun to work",immigration laws and attacks on Planned Parenthood.

_________________
In the end, everything will be OK. If it's not OK, it's not the end.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:51 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:22 pm
Posts: 1435
sparks wrote:
Others from the business community have been bashing the Indiana Republicans for advancing "social legislation" like bring your gun to work",immigration laws and attacks on Planned Parenthood.


Maybe, but deep down you Region union types know that this guy is right about the following:

a) falling demand for goods and services--that's just a normal part of the business cycle.

b) over-regulation--something you yourself just can't seem to get enough of.

c) lack of skills--self-explanatory after any quick drive north of 80/94.

d) unfair trade practices--darn it, in other countries workers don't take it as gospel that they are owed umpteen breaks per day, paid-for medical attention if one of their kids even coughs, and union protection if they feel like coming to work drunk or just don't feel like working that day.

e) lack of confidence in the economy--tough for anyone to budget for energy prices that leap up to 10% on a given afternoon.

Yeah, it's nice of those corporate leaders to give idiots like Sparks a convenient out, but you know it's your throwback attitudes and not a lack of Planned Parenthood clinics that is keeping businesses away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:32 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:19 pm
Posts: 13802
sparks wrote:
Others from the business community have been bashing the Indiana Republicans for advancing "social legislation" like bring your gun to work",immigration laws and attacks on Planned Parenthood.


name one.

_________________
Has Obama ever won a free and fair election based on the merits of his ideas?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:03 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:49 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Stupid Liberals!
Bosma fines absent House Democrats


By Dan Carden dan.carden@nwi.com, (317) 637-9078 | Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 5:00 pm | (119)

INDIANAPOLIS | House Speaker Brian Bosma, R-Indianapolis, fined 33 of the 40 House Democrats $1,000 each Wednesday for refusing to attend the House session.

Using his authority under the Indiana Constitution to compel a quorum, Bosma said absent Democrats will be fined $1,000 a day for every day they miss until the Legislature adjourns in March.

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:36 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 3064
Location: In the trenches
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Bosma fines absent House Democrats

I hope they stay out until the super bowl and then the rest of the nation can see how the repub rubes are making Indiana into the Mississippi of the north...The dems have said that they will work on any other legislation except for this one...but the rubes will have none of it...Indiana is #5 in business friendly states now...so why is this legislation so important? It is politics as usual...

_________________

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:16 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:49 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Stupid Liberals!
chuckmo48 wrote:
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Bosma fines absent House Democrats

I hope they stay out until the super bowl and then the rest of the nation can see how the repub rubes are making Indiana into the Mississippi of the north...The dems have said that they will work on any other legislation except for this one...but the rubes will have none of it...Indiana is #5 in business friendly states now...so why is this legislation so important? It is politics as usual...

I knew that one would touch a nerve.

Heh-heh!

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:37 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:49 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Stupid Liberals!
I win.

Indiana House approves right-to-work bill

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:49 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Stupid Liberals!
sparks wrote:
Others from the business community have been bashing the Indiana Republicans for advancing "social legislation" like bring your gun to work",immigration laws and attacks on Planned Parenthood.

Quote:
Cops: Robber found dead 12 hours after being shot by Rally's employee

Image

Marcus Patillo, 24

GARY | A man found dead in the parking lot of a Rally's restaurant after an armed robbery there was one of the robbers and was shot and killed by an employee fearing for his life, police said.

Sgt. Nelson Otano released the information on the Jan. 11 shooting death Wednesday morning.

"The employee feared for his life and his partner's, grabbed his weapon and shot at the offenders as they went running," Otano said. "The employee didn't know (the man was shot and died). He's having a hard time with this."


Better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

But Sparky is a GFW liberal.

Anyways...score one against the corrupt union thugs, and score one (less) against the criminal thugs.

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:34 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:49 pm
Posts: 9660
Location: Stupid Liberals!
Indiana Joins Ranks of Free States

It’s rather remarkable that the US still has states, more than half even, where people are forced into association with others against their will – and even required to fork over money for the privilege, money which is then used to support politicians peddling big government policies. Yet that is precisely what happens under forced unionization regimes. Indiana is now joining the ranks of the enlightened and has become a right-to-work state, putting an end to this corrupt racket.

Freedom to associate, or not associate, at one’s pleasure is an important end in itself, but it also comes with economic benefit. States with right-to-work laws are much better off than states without. Right-to-work states have lower unemployment, for instance. But most importantly, they have more freedom.

Still, an astonishing 27 states continue to support indentured servitude through forced unionization.

The fight continues.

_________________
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Having the Right To Work in Indiana
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:46 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:11 am
Posts: 3064
Location: In the trenches
Hope all you republicons had fun watching all those union thug NFL players in the Super Bowl yesterday...too funny...(or baseball and basketball union players...LOL)

_________________

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group