Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Thank god at least One Mayor Has a Brain!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:23 am 

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2006/1 ... 034802.txt

Mr Mayor, while you'll probably never read this I salute you for having the intestinal fortitude of opposing a childrens' program because of the apparently poor way it is managed. It would be far easier to not rock the boat, and I'm sure some would use this as an occasion to make some claim that Tom McDermot is anti-children.

Frankly, this program is a textbook example of why we need to scrutinize what the taxpayers are shelling out for! Who doesn't want to help children? But at what price? Is this program all about providing government jobs for the workers' sake or about actually filling a need? A need, btw, which perhaps reeds review as well considering how few can apparently receive any type of assistance at all.

Perhaps we can pursuade Mayor Pabey and Mayor Clay to weigh in on this program? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:39 am 

I too applaud mcmayor for speaking out on this apparent fiasco, but wonder if he would have made a bigger contribution to children's health if he had stayed on and worked to resolve the problems rather than just bailing iout?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:50 am 

If you read the details that would be unlikely. Pay attention to former mayor King's remarks and that after years of running with no board oversight they were expected to just pass everything without even time to review? :shock:

Sure, maybe he could have made the program more accountable but this thing needs to go back to the drawing board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:17 am 

With that level of oversight, I can imagine what that audit is going to turn up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:48 am 

It's actually fortunate for McD that he had the good sense to pull out. Look at how many people critized Chris Morrow for being the President on the GUEA board eventhough he left. I don't know but the two boards might not be so different in some respects.

If this program's history came out near the election I'm sure there are a few people around who would love to build a case for a comparison to the GUEA no matter what he was really trying to do to clean it up.

Now that I think about it, who really runs these programs? If board members are expected to be little more than rubber stamps why are they even needed and why do some get really nifty salaries? :shock:

I questioned what the new Gary airport board member, for example, would be doing to justify his something like $82k salary but never got an answer. But if it's little more than like this childrens' program I'm really gonna have to get more politically connected! :P

Post subject: Carelessness!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:52 am 
Banned

When I was reading the article, I immediately thought of Chris Morrow! The same things happen when GUEA was in full swing. Now, I know how he never cared to know about the theft from GUEA. He was JUST THERE parading around like he was doing something; in reality, he cared about nothing about what was happening inside GUEA. A great disservice to the tax paying public. And notice too, how the health board hardly had any meetings over the years, the last one being in Pabey's office, or in East Chicago. What a sham these people are! Just think, out of 1.25 million dollars, close to one million went to payrolls! This ought to be investigated just like GUEA was! Are you listening, LC federal attorney? And you, Bernie Carter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:57 am 

Unfortuneately, Bernie CArter has proven huimself to be untroubled by such things. So even if he heard about it, nothing would happen IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:59 am 

freetime wrote:
Unfortuneately, Bernie CArter has proven huimself to be untroubled by such things. So even if he heard about it, nothing would happen IMO.

But the people spoke! That's whom they wanted to protect us from public fraud and mismanagement. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:34 am 

I wonder what the feds would have to say about this? :oops: I think they should contact JVB.

Pete Visclosky should get involved in this he's probably the one who got the federal funding in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:37 pm 

Dear Admin,

Please move this to the Hammond forum.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:49 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Dear Admin,

Please move this to the Hammond forum.

Wrong on this one. At most it is a LC issue. Notice the 3 cities mentioned as being in the program.

I'm not certain how many other cities this covers, but it is NOT Hammond specific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:32 pm 

Who died and left ARclight in charge anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:35 pm 

freetime wrote:

Well if I had my druthers, the answer would be you freetime.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:36 pm 

freetime wrote:

He is hoping to be a moderator, remember. If he keeps up like he is I doubt that will happen. Look what he wrote in the Klein count down thread. Shame shame. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:37 pm 

Yeah but you DON't. THat's my point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next