Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Almost died tonight...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:37 am 

Was traveling from Chesterton, Indiana traveling south bound on SR 49 merging onto Interstate 94 heading West. There is construction occurring at this location and there are concrete barriers on both sides of the traffic lanes which barely allows two lanes of traffic to travel westbound without any shoulder on the side of the road. There is normally a merge lane where you can speed up and merge into traffic. Tonight there was no lane to merge. The ramp just gets dumped into speeding traffic on the highway without warning with no room to move. It was about 10 pm and traffic was flying along at full speed. I went down the ramp as normal and pulled in front of a speeding semi which had to swerve into the other lane to avoid smashing me like a bug between the semi and the concrete barrier. Fortunately there were no traffic in the other lane or they would have met the same fate as the semi moved over.

As I drove along I noticed several other on-ramps where the construction crews and temporarily removed the merge lane.

I am clueless as to what one is supposed to do. Stop at the end of the ramp until traffic is clear and then floor it to merge onto the highway when there is an opening?