Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Adventures Of "GARY MAN"
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:40 pm 
Banned

Gary man charged for shooting 18-year-old in stomach

CROWN POINT | Bottle of vodka in hand, Joseph "Pookie" Robinson Jr. shot an 18-year-old man in the stomach on Sept. 11 in Gary, charges filed Wednesday allege.

The 42-year-old Gary man faces a felony count of battery for the alleged incident.

Robinson, who is wheelchair bound, rolled outside a Clark Road home in Gary with a revolver in his lap and booze in hand, Lake Criminal Court records state. He shot the 18-year-old victim, who was hanging out with friends.

He apologized after the shooting, saying he was drunk at the time.

If convicted, Robinson faces up to eight years in prison.
http://www.nwi.com/articles/2008/09/17/ ... 110631.txt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:05 pm 

Bond reduction denied in arson, battery case

Lake Criminal Court Judge Thomas Stefaniak Jr. on Wednesday denied a Gary man's request for a bond reduction, Lake Criminal Court records show.

Josiah Boyd, 22, faces two counts of arson and one count each of attempted murder and battery for working in tandem with his girlfriend to attack another man with a screwdriver, knife and bat before setting the victim's home on fire, court records allege.

Boyd has been in custody at the Lake County Jail since May. He has a $140,000 bail, court records show.

He hid in the bedroom closet of a man his girlfriend met at a gas station while the man ran to the liquor store in June 2007, Gary police said.

Boyd's girlfriend, who has not been charged or identified, came into the bedroom with the victim later that night. She started massaging his back, then stabbed the victim with a knife, court records say.

Boyd then jumped out of the closet and began striking the victim with a baseball bat as Boyd's girlfriend grabbed a screwdriver and stabbed the victim in the foot and calf, court records say.

The victim escaped to a neighbor's house to call police. When he returned with police, his rented residence was on fire, police said.

Fire investigator Stephen Johnson determined the fire was deliberately set using a plastic strawberry juice container filled with gasoline that was duct taped in the living room, court records say.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:09 pm 

Records: Man shoots 18-year-old in stomach

Bottle of vodka in hand, Joseph "Pookie" Robinson Jr. shot an 18-year-old man in the stomach on Sept. 11 in Gary, charges filed Wednesday allege.

The 42-year-old Gary man faces a felony count of battery for the alleged incident.

Robinson, who uses a wheelchair, rolled outside a Clark Road home in Gary with a revolver in his lap and booze in hand, Lake Criminal Court records allege. He shot the 18-year-old victim, who was hanging out with friends.

He apologized after the shooting, saying he was drunk at the time, court records state.

If convicted, Robinson faces up to eight years in prison.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:39 pm 
Banned

Gary police arrest man using neighbor's electricity

GARY -- The orange extension cord led police to Lawrence Ridgeway's apartment, where he was running a television, fan and light from a power strip, despite his neighbor's numerous requests to disconnect, Lt. Samuel Roberts said Monday.

Ridgeway, 52, admitted he wasn't paying a NIPSCO bill, and police arrested him Sunday when they learned he had a warrant for violating his probation.

His neighbor called police about 9 p.m. complaining that someone had once again run a cord from her house to 235 Polk St., a vacant apartment building.

"The building appeared to be abandoned due to the fact that the doors were all open and the apartments were empty," the arrest report states.

Cpl. Anthony Hawkins and Patrolmen James Nielsen and Jamal Milton followed the orange wire to an apartment where Ridgeway was lounging in a room "Littered with DVDs, gold jewelry and other small miscellaneous items," the report states.

Officers also arrested Kathleen Dodson, 45, who was lying on the floor with Ridgeway. She said she was there because "she had no where to go due to the flooding," the report states.

Ridgeway said he works for a Crown Point man who pays him to search vacant houses for antiques, then sells them in Michigan City.

Police learned Ridgeway served a three-year prison term for possession of stolen property and was delinquent on his parole. He has two prior burglary convictions.

Detective Eva Collins is investigating the latest allegations.

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/1179 ... le.article

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:42 am 

Gary man, 31, sought in ex-girlfriend's abduction

A Gary man has been charged with two counts of criminal confinement in connection with the abduction of an ex-girlfriend, authorities said.

Micah Robinson, 31, of 4837 Washington St., was charged Wednesday with the August incident, a probable cause affidavit states.
http://nwi.com/articles/2008/09/25/news ... 0adc5f.txt

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:41 pm 

Gary native earns praise, honor at Iowa
StoryDiscussionFont Size: Default font size Larger font size BY AL HAMNIK
ahamnik@nwitimes.com
219.933.4154 | Friday, September 26, 2008 | No comments posted.

NWI Photo Store
It seemed like such a natural fit.

When Lloyd Carr retired after 13 seasons as head football coach at Michigan, many close to the program believed either Erik Campbell or Fred Jackson -- the two longest-tenured and best recruiters on staff -- would be the perfect replacement.

Instead, Michigan cleaned house and hired Rich Rodriguez from West Virginia.

Campbell moved on, but his phone was quick to ring.

Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz wanted the Gary native as his wide receivers/tight ends coach.

"When I came on the market, I was getting contacted by a lot of different schools," Campbell said. "When he called, I didn't hesitate. Iowa historically has great football tradition, great fan support, and always has a chance to win the Big Ten.

"I grew up (at Michigan). I went to school there. I played there. A lot of highlights. But I'm a Hawkeye now."

Campbell will also be in charge of recruiting the Dallas, Houston and Detroit areas.

"We were very fortunate to have Erik Campbell join our staff," Ferentz said. "His experience and success level is outstanding. He does an excellent job communicating with our student-athletes.

"It's pretty easy to see why he's been so successful when you watch him during practice."

The 3-1 Hawkeyes open Big Ten play at home Saturday against 4-0 Northwestern on ESPN Classic.

"I was well-received when I first arrived and every Saturday now there's 70,000 screamin' fans at Kinnick Stadium," Campbell said. "There's no pro teams in Iowa, so they're very supportive of their college team."

Campbell joined Michigan's staff in 1995 and coached a 1,000-yard receiver an NCAA record eight consecutive seasons (1998-2005). His NFL products include Amani Toomer, Mercury Hayes, Thornton grad Tai Streets, David Terrell, Marquise Walker, Braylon Edwards and two-way standout and Heisman winner Charles Woodson.

CBSSportsline.com recently named Campbell the top receivers coach in the country among Division I assistants. His reaction was an "Aw shucks" that's so typical of the Roosevelt grad.

"I've been blessed with great players and the opportunity to work with great young men," he said. "I just try to do my best, hopefully it works out, and the young men get all the credit."

Campbell's father, John, is a prep track legend, having led the Panthers to 12 state titles. He and Erik are both members of the Indiana Track Hall of Fame.

"Do I miss the Region? Hell, yeah," said Erik. "It's home. Lots of friends and family. You never forget home."

Iowa players and coaches marvel at Campbell's high energy and the excitement he generates on the field, often running alongside them on pass routes, diving for balls and jumping up and down when his receivers make a good play.

Some day, who knows? He may have his own program.

"Whenever somebody calls my name," Campbell chuckled. "I'm waiting."

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

The Erik Campbell file
* High school: Roosevelt, class of 1984
* College: Michigan, class of 1987
* Coaching experience: Navy running backs (1989-90); Ball State running backs (1991-93); Syracuse running backs (1994); Michigan wide receivers (1995-2007); Michigan assistant head coach (2003-07); Iowa wide receivers, tight ends (2008).
* Fast fact: Campbell was a four-year letterman at Michigan and is the only player in Michigan football history to start at all four secondary positions in one year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:24 am 
Banned

Funny post nick......chew on this story boy

Two convicted felons caught by police after chase
Recommend
Comments

September 26, 2008
By Lori Caldwell Post-Tribune staff writer

GARY -- It was either the "big gun" in the front seat, or their drive-through order -- just a paper bag -- that made McDonalds' employees suspicious enough to call police.

That alert led to a brief chase, a squad car chase and finally the arrest of two convicted felons, Lt. Samuel Roberts said. Both were charged Wednesday with unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon and criminal recklessness.

Calvin Dobbs, 27, who served about seven years of a 20-term in the December 2000 shooting death of Joey Macon, was behind the wheel of a Ford Explorer that Patrolman Nicholas Deem saw in the lot at 5th Avenue and Grant Street about 3:50 a.m.

Deem followed the truck as it ran stop signs, then halted suddenly and started backing up until it crashed into his squad.

Both occupants ran. Deem and Patrolmen Robert Hemphill and Marvin Bankhead caught Dobbs, who ran out of his baggy pants early in the pursuit. Deem found two loaded magazines for semiautomatic weapons in the pockets.

Dobbs told police, "You guys got me. I was arrested for murder and I'm out on parole. I'm going back now," the arrest report states.

Minutes later, Lt. Ron Pineda located Marshan Gildon, 25, at 3rd Avenue and Arthur Street. Gildon was sentenced in January 2006 to three years in prison after pleading to charges reduced from attempted murder for a shooting at the same McDonald's where Tuesday's incident began.

Police recovered a handgun and a semiautomatic rifle in the car, Detective Cpl. Arturo Azcona said.

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/1186 ... on.article

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:39 am 

Ya know, I read that earlier this morning and laughed out loud about the baggy pants this creep lost.

That'll teach them to wear their underwear on the outside....if that's why they wear those stupid baggy pants for.

Maybe it's a blessing in disquise for the cops....they probably wear baggy pants to hide weapons. Now I get it. :mrgreen:

Really, I always wonder why those idiots wear pants that fall down while walking....who raised them?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:56 pm 
Banned

Sunnysideup! wrote:
who raised them?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:56 pm 

Gary native Janet Seabrook returned to her home town to practice medicine, making her one of a dwindling number of doctors willing to practice in areas in which they're most needed.

Executive director of the Gary Community Health Center, Seabrook treats inner-city patients who might otherwise put off doctor visits until a crisis sends them to the emergency room, she said.

Nationwide, fewer than one-fourth of medical school students said they planned to practice medicine in an underserved area, typically less affluent urban or rural parts of the country, the 2003 survey of 20,000 students sponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges states.

Financial considerations play a part in a profession in which earnings can more than double for work in affluent populations.

"When students come in, they're very idealistic. They've been volunteering, and then real life takes over," researcher LuAnn Wilkerson told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch for a story earlier this month.

Wilkerson, senior associate dean for medical education at UCLA, was an author of an analysis of the survey published in the Sept. 10 Journal of the American Medical Association.

Parts of Gary, Hammond, East Chicago and Lake Station qualify as medically underserved areas in which residents have a shortage of health care professionals, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Federal guidelines call for one primary care physician for every 2,000 people.

Seabrook had been a primary care physician at a community health center in Chicago before helping to found the Gary Community Health Center 12 years ago.

Outpatients were traveling from Gary to the Chicago clinic for doctor care, Seabrook said.

"That was what actually made me aware that a community health center was needed," she said.

The clinic, which logs about 13,000 visits a year, employs two family physicians, a dentist, an obstetrician, a pediatrician, a nurse/midwife and two nurse practitioners. But the facility could use another two family doctors, Seabrook said.

Finding them could be difficult.

In a second study reported this month in the Journal of the American Medical Association, only 2 percent of 1,200 graduating medical students surveyed said they planned to work in primary care internal medicine -- the doctors who once were the backbone of the medical system. In a similar survey in 1990, the figure was 9 percent.

Paperwork, the demands of the chronically sick and the need to bring work home were among factors pushing young doctors away from careers in primary care, the survey found.

Salary may be another reason.

Family medicine, at $186,000, had the lowest average salary last year. Orthopedic surgery paid $436,000.

Seabrook said she was drawn to the work after serving a clinical rotation with a family doctor while a student at Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tenn.

"I just remember the rapport she had with her patients," Seabrook said. "It really allowed her to manage her patients' health. Little things like that meant a lot."

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:10 am 
Banned

yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:39 am 

SO lets see, make $28,000/yr in Gary, or make $35,000/yr elsewhere

I think I go where the pay is higher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:06 pm 

Gary man shot and killed outside home in Aetna

GARY | A West Side man was shot and killed outside an Aetna home late Friday night.

Tony D. Johnson, 39, of 965 Lane St., died from a single gunshot wound to his head, a Lake County Coroner's Office spokesperson said Saturday morning. Records indicate Gary police responded to a home in the 1000 block of New Hampshire Street at 11:55 p.m. Friday, where Johnson was found.

Gary police Detective Ed Gonzalez said a suspect is in custody and charges are expected to be filed today.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:14 pm 

Gary felon nets five-year term for assaulting ex-wife in home

CROWN POINT | A history of prior convictions resulted in a Gary man being sentenced Tuesday to five years in prison for assaulting his ex-wife.

Prosecutors had sought a six-year sentence for Quincy Ward, 35, citing two prior felony convictions, a lengthy history of misdemeanor convictions for battery and alcohol-related offenses, the nature of the attack on his ex-wife and the impact on the couple's two youngest children.

Ward's latest conviction involved breaking into his ex-wife's Lakes of the Four Seasons home in Crown Point, according to Lake County Prosecutor Bernard Carter.

At the time of the attack in September 2008, Ward and his ex-wife were living separately but intending to remarry, according to Carter. Following a fight earlier in the day between the couple over the victim refusing to pick up Ward from a Merrillville location, Ward broke into the woman's home and assaulted her after she drove home with the couple's two young sons. -- BY TIMES STAFF

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:18 pm 

Highland police nab Gary man wanted for homicide in 2007

HIGHLAND | A routine traffic stop resulted in the arrest of a man wanted for a Gary homicide.

Curtis Wilson, 20, of Gary, was arrested Saturday after Highland Officer Scott Shaginaw attempted to stop Wilson for making a traffic infraction, according to a Highland Police Department news release.

When Shaginaw tried to stop him, Wilson erratically pulled behind a business on Indianapolis Boulevard and fled on foot. A foot pursuit ensued. Other officers helped him locate Wilson hiding underneath a parked car, according to a news release.

Police reportedly used a Taser on Wilson when he did not get out from under the car as ordered.

Police said Wilson possessed a fully loaded handgun and learned he was wanted on a warrant through the Lake County Sheriff's Department for a homicide in Gary in 2007. -- BY TIMES STAFF

P.J. O'Rourke

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next