Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Adventures Of "GARY MAN"
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:49 pm 

Gary mother, daughter accused of setting fire

Nicole Booker, 38, and her 20-year-old daughter, Coretta Miller, were charged this week with felony arson, Lake County Criminal Court records show.

The pair used candles in January to set their rental home in the 4200 block of Madison Street in Gary on fire because their landlord was evicting them, court records say.

The home was lit on fire the same day a court judge approved eviction of Booker and her family because they were three months behind on rent, court records say.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:59 pm 

Baby's death in bath ruled homicide

GARY -- Five-month-old Ryne White didn't drown in the kitchen sink like his father told police and medics Thursday afternoon.

"This infant had multiple blows to the head," Lake County Coroner David J. Pastrick said Friday after an autopsy was completed.

"I am ruling this death a homicide," he said.

Upon learning the baby had skull fractures and other injuries from blunt force trauma, detectives returned to the apartment where the baby died and brought his father to the police station to question him further.

Ryne White Sr., 24, was arrested late Friday. Detective Willie Ervin is expected to present the case to the prosecutor this weekend.

Cmdr. Jack Arnold declined to comment additionally on the investigation.

When emergency personnel arrived at 4377 W. 23rd Ave. in Oak Knoll Renaissance apartments about 1 p.m. Thursday, the baby was dead and both his parents were present.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:41 pm 
Banned

Gary man, 32, accused of attacking wife, son

GARY -- Rashad Clemmons, 32, is in jail charged with domestic battery, intimidation, strangulation and battery after his wife and stepson accused him of assaulting them at their Small Farms area home last week.

Amanda Clemmons told Patrolman Mark Birkett she and her husband were arguing and threw a speaker that broke and cut her 5-year-old son's hand, the probable cause affidavit states.

Rashad Clemmons then choked his wife, and when her 13-year-old son tried to intervene, Clemmons punched the teen and threatened to kill him, the affidavit states.

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/1129 ... rf.article

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:34 am 

A Gary man admitted Wednesday to sexually assaulting one region woman and stealing from two others in three separate 2007 crimes, Lake County Criminal Court records show.

Dan Allen Jr., 34, pleaded guilty to felony counts of criminal deviate conduct, attempted robbery and robbery.

Prosecutors agreed to drop 24 other felonies Allen faced in six separate cases in return for his guilty plea.

Allen sexually assaulted a woman in her car July 23, 2007, in the parking lot of Concord Apartments in Gary, court records say. He threatened her life and the lives of her parents if she told police what happened, records say.

Four days later, Allen was at the BP gas station at 1849 N. Cline Ave. in Griffith when he drove up to a female customer while she was pumping gas and asked her for directions. He told the woman he had a gun, demanded her money and left with her purse, records say.

That same day, Allen was at the Cracker Barrel in Hammond when he approached another woman in her vehicle. He told the woman he had a gun and threatened to shoot her, records say. The woman threw Allen her purse.

Allen faces an agreed sentence of 34 years in prison when he is sentenced Sept. 24.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:03 pm 

Cops find loaded AK-47 in vehicle

August 28, 2008Recommended (5)

Post-Tribune staff report
Authorities charged Alfred Manzel Wiley of 6749 E. 3rd Ave., Gary, with handgun and drug-possession offenses.
Members of the Lake County Drug Task Force stopped Wiley's minivan early Monday near 45th Avenue and Harrison Street in Gary for traffic violations and discovered the odor of burnt marijuana and a loaded AK-47 assault rifle under the middle back seat.

Wiley, 40, admitted he'd just smoked marijuana and didn't have a valid driver's license. Police found a compartment containing a small quantity of suspected crack cocaine and about 1.7 gross grams of marijuana, court records state.

Wiley was sentenced to 17 years for robbery and six years for the same weapons charge in Lake County.

The latest charges carry a maximum 20-year sentence.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:55 pm 

Jaymar Johnson helps inspire Gary Pop Warner
StoryDiscussionFont Size: Default font size Larger font size BY AL HAMNIK
ahamnik@nwitimes.com
219.933.4154 | Sunday, July 13, 2008 | No comments posted.

GARY | Jaymar Johnson sat alone at the head table, looking a bit sheepish, as fans of all ages crowded into a stuffy little room at the Hudson-Campbell Sports & Fitness Center on Saturday morning.

At Johnson's feet were several large Pop Warner football championship trophies worthy of any showcase.

It was a homecoming of sorts for the 2003 Wirt grad and explosive Jackson State wide receiver, a sixth-round pick of the Minnesota Vikings in last April's NFL draft.

"He's opening the door right now for a lot of our younger players," said Richard Ligon, vice-president of the Gary Steelers Pop Warner, who then chuckled: "We know once he signs that big contract ... we need a football field. I don't want a Corvette; we just want our own field."

Later, Johnson and several coaches held a football clinic down in the arena. It was his gift to the youngsters.

"Jaymar's been good all his life," league president Richard Woods said. "I'm glad he's finally getting recognized for that."

The way "Double-J" views it, he's been surrounded by "guardian angels" since he was old enough to walk. His parents, grandparents and an aunt all lived within three homes of each other in their Miller neighborhood. His wife of two years, the former Kassy Howell, lived "just around the block."

Of Jaymar's five brothers and two sisters, older sibling James was a self-appointed mentor.

"That's my little brother. One of my obligations, as big brother, is to make sure little brother is all right and that he does the things needed to succeed," said James, who starred at running back for the University of Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

"I consider myself real blessed and fortunate to make it in the NFL," said Jaymar, who overcame a club foot at birth. "Above everything, I wanted to come back and help the kids, whatever way I can, whether or not I got drafted.

"Growing up, the only persons I really had to look up to were my coaches and my brother, so I want to be the same kind of role model."

At 6-foot, 176 pounds, Johnson has always had to prove himself -- and thank goodness for James.

"The more and more my brother did, the more and more I wanted to be better than him," Jaymar said. "That actually drove me throughout Pop Warner, middle school, high school and my whole college career. I wanted to beat everything he did. However many touchdowns he had, I had to have two more than he did."

Those daily challenges will pick up, considerably, when Jaymar reports to the Vikings' training camp July 23.

"I'm looking to go in and fight for a job -- and playing time as well," he said.

Minnesota needs help just about everywhere on the offensive side of the ball. Unproven Tarvaris Jackson finished with a 70.8 quarterback rating last season and a mere nine touchdown passes. Only one receiver had more than 600 yards.

At Jackson State, Johnson used his 4.42 speed to catch 36 passes for 613 yards and seven TDs his senior season, also returning kickoffs and punts.

Saturday, he wore his Vikings T-shirt as proudly as the Purple Heart.

"I have no reason to be jealous," said James Johnson, regardless of what strangers may think. "If he succeeds, I feel I succeed just as well because I showed him the right path on how to get there."

FOOTBALL

Jaymar Johnson
6-foot, 176 pounds
Wide receiver
Had 66 receptions for 1,140 yards and 9 TDs over last two seasons at Jackson State.
Also returned two punts for scores.
Member of 2002 Times all-area second team.
As a prep senior at Wirt, had 55 receptions for 873 yards and 19 total TDs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:01 pm 

A 44-year-old Gary man serving a murder sentence has been caught after attempting to escape a maximum-security prison here by scaling a prison wall, authorities said.

Larry R. Fleming was discovered outside a housing unit early Friday attempting to climb the building, Pendleton Correctional Facility Superintendent Brett Mize said.

Guards were alerted around 4:30 a.m. when Fleming was discovered to be missing from his cell.

Fleming is serving a 60-year sentence for killing 22-year-old Dwayne Henderson, of East Chicago, in May 1989 at an Amoco service station on Columbia Avenue in Hammond. He was convicted in April 1990 and is scheduled to be released in 2023.

Fleming, whose address at the time of the crime was listed as 5619 W. 24th Ave. in Gary's Black Oak neighborhood, will face prison disciplinary charges, and the Indiana State Police and the Madison County prosecutor's office will investigate possible criminal charges.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:54 pm 

Gary Nutcase faces attempted murder charge

A Gary nutcase, on parole following a drug conviction, has been charged with attempted murder in an assault on his ex-girlfriend during which the woman's boyfriend wounded him.

http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/1136 ... dy.article

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:10 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNtfc5WS ... 2Y&width=3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:09 pm 
Banned

Yep!

The "pole lece" chief got fired and your town is still a rat hole.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:55 am 

Man on parole in homicide arrested in killing

A man accused of killing a woman early Sunday in East Chicago was arrested Tuesday when he reported to his parole officer from a previous homicide conviction, police said

Gaylon C. Washington Jr., 31, of Gary, faces a murder charge based on accusations he shot Candie Worthman, 23, in the head early Sunday morning outside an apartment in East Chicago near Indiana Harbor, according to court documents.

Washington also faces charges of intimidation and pointing a loaded gun. Washington threatened to kill a witness to Worthman's shooting, said East Chicago Police Chief Angelo Machuca Jr. Washington was being held without bail at the Lake County Jail on Tuesday.

He pleaded guilty to reckless homicide in 2003 after a murder charge was dismissed, according to court records. He was sentenced to seven years in prison, according to court records.

Washington was waiting at 3 a.m. Sunday outside a dilapidated apartment building in the 3400 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, according to court records. Worthman arrived and argued with Washington, police said. Washington told Worthman to back down, and when she did not, he shot her in the head, according to court records.

"Words were exchanged, and it seems like he didn't like what was being said to him, and he shot her, shot the victim in the face," Machuca said.

Police found Worthman, of the nearby 3500 block of Guthrie Street, bleeding in the street, and investigators picked up a .32-caliber shell casing nearby, according to court records.

Worthman was pronounced dead at the scene, said a spokesman for the Lake County coroner's office.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:01 am 

GARY

Three men are charged in robbery of drugstore

The Lake County prosecutor's office charged three Gary residents Tuesday with armed robbery and resisting law enforcement in a Labor Day weekend holdup at the Walgreens drugstore, 2500 Grant St., Gary. They named Bishop P. Burrell, 18, and two juveniles in Lake Criminal Court papers.

Gary police allege Gary police Reserve Officer Michael L. McCullough was outside the drugstore when he saw three men mask their faces and walk into the store. A clerk said at least two of the masked men were armed with guns and forced him to surrender money from the cash registers before fleeing on foot.

McCullough used his police radio to summon help and pursued the men to an apartment complex in Gary's Small Farms section. He said one of the robbers fired an errant shot at him. Police officers arrested Burrell and one of the juveniles nearby.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:27 pm 
Banned

typical

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:19 pm 

Police: Theft suspects lucky to be alive

LAKE STATION | Indiana State Police say two men risked electrocution in their attempt to strip wire from a light pole on Interstate 80/94.

State Police First Sgt. Terrance Weems responded to a call at 6:22 a.m. Wednesday about two men stripping wire from the light pole on the south side of the expressway at the 12.2 mile marker, west of the Central Avenue exit. Weems saw the men trying to put wire into their pickup truck.

Further investigation revealed at least four light poles had their bottom boxes popped open and the wire stripped from inside. About 1,500 feet of industrial electrical cable found in the bed of the truck was worth an estimated $5,000.

The men, James Higgason, 39, of Hammond, and Dennis Dugger, 43, of Gary, were charged Wednesday with theft of state property and possession of stolen property, both felonies. Dugger also was wanted on a Lake County warrant for possession of stolen property.

A spokesman from the contracted company that maintains the lights said the poles are set up with a sensor that turns the lights on at dusk and off at dawn, and just because the lights are off during the day does not mean they don't have an active current. These particular poles have 480 volts and 100 amps running through them.

"This was a dangerous situation and we're thankful that it wasn't raining or they weren't standing in a water-filled ditch," Weems said.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:32 pm 
Banned

Two Gary men shot dead hours apart at same spot

GARY | A 53-year-old Gary man and a 20-year-old Gary man were shot and killed at the same location just hours apart late Monday and early Tuesday.

Cleve Freeman , 53, of the 1900 block of Connecticut Street in Gary was pronounced dead at 1:35 a.m. in the 1900 block of Massachusetts Street, according to a spokeswoman for the Lake County coroner's office.

Freeman sustained a single gunshot wound in what has been ruled as a homicide, the spokeswoman said.

And a 20-year-old Gary man was shot dead in the alley of the same location early Tuesday morning. According to the Lake County coroner's office, investigators were called to the Methodist Hospital's Northlake campus in Gary at 5:05 a.m. for a homicide victim with multiple gunshot wounds. The man was pronounced dead at the hospital at 4:43 a.m.

The name of the 20-year-old man was not being released pending notification of his family, the coroner's office spokesman said.

Gary police officials were not available for comment early Tuesday morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWl2yBtWmN8&NR=1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next