Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:22 pm 

forest,
Thank you for addressing the issue. If you require clarification of my positions, just ask. The use of straw man arguments does not promote discussion or help to discern someone's position (except the user's.)
forest ave. gump wrote:
nwi wrote:
Enough of the straw men, does anyone care to address the points I have made?

Maybe that is the problem nwi, your point you HAVE made was that there were previous failures. We can discuss why each of those airlines failed. Initially you seemed to indicate that those airlines failed at Gary, or because of Gary when other information proves other wise

All I stated was that the airlines failed. Why should the reasons matter, unless you think they were unique to the airlines? Even then, do you think the fact that no other (non-charter) airlines have attempted to fill the void at Gary might have something to do with their belief that they can't make money here, for whatever reasons?

forest ave. gump wrote:
Another time you wrote:
nwi wrote:
The point is the viability of passenger air travel at Gary. You are arguing with your own straw man. If you would like to put the above into the context of the viability of passenger air travel at Gary, we might get somewhere.

You keep bringing up the 'viability' of Gary-Chi. (And the reference to “straw men,” which I find amusing given Peotone’s proposed location in farm fields, but that is neither here nor there... but I am tiring of the ‘straw man’ reference I think the others as well as myself are addressing you. I think you point is not as clear to us as it is in your head..) To me, Gary-Chi’s 'viability' is clear given Illinois is looking for and consider farm land as ‘viable’ for expanded air travel, or shipping. So the viability, [i.e. practical, feasible, usable, adaptable] is, in my opinion, clear and I would consider Gary-Chi far more viable than the Peotone location. The Gary-Chi is already an airport, and there are federal dollars to expand the runways. [Doesn’t Peotone still need to acquire 4200 acres, at minimum to start the project?] I believe that Gary-Chi is by far the most viable location with in the Chicagoland metropolitan service area, and is years ahead of anyone else being able to produce a viable location. I doubt that you are arguing that a third airport in general is not viable, are you? I think you need to clarify what you are attempting to state, otherwise we will be arguing with straw men until we find the one that dances.

I am arguing that a third airport is not viable without the support of the City of Chicago. That goes for Peotone or Gary. O'Hare expansion is advancing due to the desire of Chicago. That is why Peotone is not advancing, and why Gary hasn't as well, despite the obvious points that you note. Chicago might believe that O'Hare expansion, the introduction of larger, more economical aircraft, and other technological advances might negate the supposed need for a third airport. Airlines are merging, reducing flights and eliminating destinations, none of which will help Gary. Chicago's power to control gates and flights at ORD and MDW is the lever necessary to move any flights to a third airport. Notice how no major airlines will commit to Peotone or Gary? Politics will play a major role in deciding this issue, and we have drastically less political influence than Chicago.

An airport by itself will not make money, it is the economy it generates that we seek. We should offer to give up Gary airport to Chicago's control. That would seem the most probable course for viability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:09 am 

Alright nwi, you are aware that Daley and King went to visit Daniels just prior to King announcing his departure. Also, Daley gives money to Gary - Chi, and Karras has close connections to the City of Chicago. Furthermore FEDERAL money is being spent on the airport. Continuing down the same path... why did both states lease the tollway, and given the fixed rate increases will supposedly take years to repay the lease... do you not think that there is some greater plan or promise. Do you think some foreign fools would spend billions on tollways to a ghetto? Boeing is in Chicago, and have hangers at Gary-Chi. they are a bit more powerful than Chicago, heck maybe that is why federal dollar's are heading there... It is not the same, that is my point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:13 am 

Oh as for technology... bigger trucks did not make smaller ones obsolete. Size depends upon quantity, there is still room for small planes and their airports. We continue down the path of globilization, and to be global it requires travel. Travel of people, goods, et cetera. NWI is a great place to be in order to capitalize on the logistical non-variable Products will come in from the coasts, and much will route through the tri-state area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:21 pm 

Forest,
You are aware that Daley, King and O'Bannon had meetings too? Karras has left the airport, and Curry has no ties to Chicago. Daley's agreement with Gary is not new. To date it has been used as leverage for O'Hare expansion against Peotone supporters. Daley's financial support has not resulted in increased passenger travel at Gary. Nothing new here.

You asked, "Do you think some foreign fools would spend billions on tollways to a ghetto?" They didn't. They leased an important part of a major east-west route across the US. The same company looks like it might be interestedin leasing Midway Airport, too. Will that impact their cooperation towards the success of passenger travel at Gary?

Boeing has part of their corporate fleet at Gary, why would they care about passenger expansion there? Yes, their need for a longer runway may have helped secure federal money and will allow them to land any of their fleet here, but does that mean they need anyone else to use it? Maybe the offer to use a nearly empty airport was part of the package that Daley put together when luring Boeing to Chicago?

Your truck analogy implies that you missed my point. The use of larger, more economical airplanes and other tech advances at O'Hare will ease their crowding, especially after expansion. No, it does not mean that bigger planes will make smaller ones obsolete, only that it will free up more space for them at O'Hare and Midway.

Also, I contend that there is an insufficient supply of potential business travellers in the region, the backbone of the air travel industry. The lack of interest shown by passenger airlines for operating from Gary seems to confirm this.