Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Daniels gets on board high-speed rail initiative
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:30 pm 

Tue, 04/14/2009 - 3:54pm — Laura McPhee

Eight Midwestern governors, including Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, have joined together in support of a high-speed rail network that links cities around the region and, they contend, “builds the economy and introduces a new vision for intercity passenger rail.”

In a letter to U.S. Department of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, the group outlined their plans and support for the use of federal recovery money to build the high-speed rail system that could eventually connect all the major Midwestern cities.

"President Obama’s vision of making high-speed rail a part of our nation’s future transportation network holds great promise," Gov. Daniels and the co-signors wrote. "We recognize that a high-speed rail network has the potential to reduce highway and airway congestion, greenhouse gas emissions, and the nation’s dependence on foreign oil."

The major elements of the multi-state passenger rail initiative include:

• “3,000 miles of existing rights of way to connect rural, small urban and major metropolitan areas. The states will work with freight railroads to assess where capacity is needed to provide reliable110-mile-per-hour service.”

• “Operation of a hub-and-spoke passenger rail system that provides service to and through Chicago to locations across the Midwest. All corridors provide service to city-to-city pairs within 500 miles of each other.”

• “Modern train equipment that operates initially at 110 miles per hour. Current passenger rail equipment is outdated and designed for a 20th century train network, not a 21 century network. Next generation train equipment will travel at faster speeds with better acceleration and deceleration, will provide increased comfort and amenities for riders, and will provide travelers with more options than air or auto modes.”

• “Multi-modal connections that will improve the entire transportation system network. The states engaged in the MWRRI understand the importance of intermodalism. The passenger rail network and feeder system will connect riders to their communities, airports, bus stations and highways.”

• “Focus on reliability and on-time performance. Ridership depends on trains that arrive and depart on time. We are familiar with the predictable by-the-minute train service that exists in Europe and Asia. The MWRRI Plan recommends track and signal improvements to achieve the same level of on-time performance.”

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds and mandates high-speed passenger rail, and the Midwestern network would include 3,000 miles of existing rights of way to connect cities with trains capable of at least 110 miles per hour. Chicago, which is bidding to host the 2016 Olympic Games, would serve as the hub, just as it does for freight. The rail network would link large and small metropolitan areas, airports, bus stations and highways.

http://www.nuvo.net/blog/midwest-high-s ... initiative

Post subject: Re: Daniels gets on board high-speed rail initiative
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:39 am 

Why?

So as soon as the taxpayers foot the bill for this idiocy he can sell it to the highest bidder?...

or the ONLY other scenario...which is to watch the billions go down the drain on ''studies'' and ''committees'' and ''junkets'' over the next 5 years only to conclude there no money to build it...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:31 am 

You are hereby assigned as the official watch dog, to insure that waste will is not the final word for this project.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:02 am 

BTLs wrote:
You are hereby assigned as the official watch dog, to insure that waste will is not the final word for this project.

Don't feel like getting off your 'rusty butt' to give your input? :smt006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:59 pm 

The gub'mint can't even run the trains it has now....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:06 pm 

Quote:
Don't feel like getting off your 'rusty butt' to give your input?

Quote:

“Duh“, since you don’t believe or know what check and balance means, telling you who the government is would not do any good. Since you’re refusing to perform your civic duty, you are relieved of your duties. Let’s watch Daniel’s to insure he doesn’t make the same errors made while converting BMV.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:22 pm 

BTLs wrote:
Quote:
Don't feel like getting off your 'rusty butt' to give your input?

Quote:

“Duh“, since you don’t believe or know what check and balance means, telling you who the government is would not do any good. Since you’re refusing to perform your civic duty, you are relieved of your duties. Let’s watch Daniel’s to insure he doesn’t make the same errors made while converting BMV.

You are a hatemonger. You are here to taunt people. You certainly aren't here to share information, with the exception of the obvious. That is, you have had too much to drink today.

You actually believe you have some kind of authority.

My suggestion is that you go sleep it off and try again another day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:45 am 

“You are a hatemonger. You are here to taunt people”. Sounds like a self description based on the labels thrown around and when are fabrications informative?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:52 am 

Again, Big Time Loser, you make absolutely no sense.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:08 pm 

Daniel's is an a hole.. Don't you people listen to what he calls all of you (us) in NW Indiana? How many times has he gone public to say he plans on taking a big crap on NW Indiana? He has no problem saying NW Indiana (Lake County) is corrupt, but what is HE doing about it?

He's a typical "little man". Let's not forget he supports the NIPSCO rate increase!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:32 pm 

Proud Pig wrote:
Daniel's is an a hole.. Don't you people listen to what he calls all of you (us) in NW Indiana?

I guess I never took offense to what the man says.

I believe that's because he was talking to and about people like you, sparks, BigTimeLoser, edge, etc....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:41 pm 

Screech wrote:

I believe that's because he was talking to and about people like you, sparks, BigTimeLoser, edge, etc....

Yeah you must be right! All us "stupid people", not like you "smart people". I guess you must also support a NIPSCO rate increase and a county income tax to go along with the highest property tax in the state. I guess you missed the article some weeks back about the multi million dollar raise or bonus the NIPSCO CEO got... Not really important, us "stupid people" understand. You got me there Screech Mark, you got me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:54 pm 

Proud Pig wrote:
Screech wrote:

Yeah you must be right! All us "stupid people", not like you "smart people". I guess you must also support a NIPSCO rate increase and a county income tax to go along with the highest property tax in the state. I guess you missed the article some weeks back about the multi million dollar raise or bonus the NIPSCO CEO got... Not really important, us "stupid people" understand. You got me there Screech Mark, you got me.

Here's the lack of knowlege out of the package

:smt006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:37 pm 

Screech wrote:

Here's the lack of knowlege out of the package

:smt006

Do us all a favor and stick that back where you found it before someone has another accident! One of you is enough! :smt006

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:44 pm 

Proud Pig wrote:
One of you is enought!

Good, that means you finally understand my sarcasm!