Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Girl killed in Schererville school bus accident
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:16 pm 

SCHERERVILLE | A 12-year-old Schererville girl died Tuesday afternoon after being crushed by a school bus Tuesday morning.

Lake Central School Corp. Superintendent Gerald Chabot confirmed that a sixth-grader at Grimmer Middle School died after an accident with a Lake Central School Corporation bus.

The girl had missed her bus, so her mother drove her to a bus stop farther along the route, at 75th and Pershing. After her mother parked the car behind the bus, the girl got out and approached the stop.The bus started to pull away, and the girl chased after it. She stumbled on a curb and was crushed by the bus, according to a police source.

The girl's twin sister already was on the bus.

The accident happened in the Harvest Acres neighborhood, Fire Chief Joseph Kruzan said.

Chabot said the accident occurred about 8:15 a.m. Initially, the student was severely injured and taken to St. Margaret Mercy Healthcare Centers in Dyer. She later was transported to a Chicago trauma center, where she died, Chabot said.

Grimmer teachers informed their students of the death, and grief counselors will be at the Schererville school Wednesday, Chabot said.

What a horrible, horrible tragedy. My prayers go out to this family. I cannot even imagine what they are going thru. My son came home from school and told me about this, but he did not know that she had died.

Post subject: Re: Girl killed in Schererville school bus accident
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:23 am 

My heart and prayers go out to this family. What a horrible tragedy ! :(