Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Where are all those Piss-Ants
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:27 am 

Tail tucked they sold a lot of wolf tickets about their stock and property value. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Where are all those Piss-Ants
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:28 am 

Pissant
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For the song by the Smashing Pumpkins, see Pisces Iscariot.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 As an ant
* 2 As an insult
* 3 As an adjective
* 4 Positive use
* 5 References

A pissant, also seen as piss-ant and piss ant, is one or the other of two specific types of ant. Its origin is with pismire, a 14th-century word for ant.[1][2] The term is also used as an insulting noun, and a pejorative adjective.

[edit] As an ant

The original pissant is any of a certain group of large ant species, commonly called wood ants, that make mounded nests in British and European forests.[3] The name pissant arises from the urine-like odor produced by their nesting material—needles and straw from pine trees—and the formic acid that constitutes their venom.[4] Formica rufa is one such ant, but there are others with similar characteristics.

Forelius and Irydomyrmex are two genera of piss ants.[5]

In the United States, the word pissant can refer to any small ant that infests a home.[6]

[edit] As an insult

Pissant is an epithet for an inconsequential, irrelevant, or worthless person, especially one who is irritating or contemptible out of proportion to his or her significance. A Virginia politician who also popularized the term once silenced a heckler by saying "I'm a big dog on a big hunt and I don't have time for a piss-ant on a melon stalk."[7]

[edit] As an adjective

The term piss-ant can also be used as an adjective, usually as a pejorative to mean insignificant and annoying. In conversations with his advisors during the Vietnam War, U.S. president Lyndon B. Johnson often referred to Vietnam as "that damn piss-ant little country".[8]

The Biotechnology sector in Arizona was described by Arizona State University president Michael Crow as being at a "piss ant level" relative to the sector in other states such as California.[9]

After being defeated 4-0 in a semi-final football (soccer) match against Melbourne Victory, Adelaide United coach Aurelio Vidmar's post-match press conference became infamous when he described Adelaide as a "pissant town".[10][11] The rant gained nation wide publicity in Australia.[12][13]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:04 am 

What the hell does this have to do with... Well... Anything?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:55 am 

The price of good dope is worth more than their property!

Lake tax sale coming too soon for hard-luck homeowners

A tax sale next month could end the easy life for Bosley the dog, who has lived for many years with his 45-year-old master, Dominic Quintero, in a house across the street from East Chicago's Veteran's Park and City Hall.

Quintero said he has been unemployed since 2007, when he developed a blood disease that leaves him in danger of bleeding to death, and can't pay the $2,533 in back taxes he owes from last year.

"I'm on Social Security disability and a fixed income. I tried to make out a budget where I could make monthly tax payments, but between my doctor bills and my utility bills, I'm broke by the middle of every month," he said.

The Lake County Treasurer's office auction of tax-delinquent properties is rolling forward 10 a.m. July 14, and less-fortunate homeowners, such as Quintero, are at risk of losing their homes.

A half dozen are petitioning Lake Circuit Court Judge Lorenzo Arredondo for clemency on grounds their unemployment or medical infirmities have robbed them of the ability to pay their back taxes.

Irene Protho-Battle, of Gary, wrote the judge recently, "I am a widow, 78 years old, living on a fixed income. Mother of eight children. Seven are deceased, only one living now. Was married for 45 years to Mr. Protho, divorced and remarried in 2001 and he passed in 2004. I never worked due to my obligations as a mother and also my health. I am asking all the consideration that can possibly be given."

Arredondo or his magistrate is set to hear their petitions July 2.

"I'm just hoping the judge will help me out," Quintero said. "They told me that if they put me in subsidized housing I will still have to pay $200 a month. Even if I could make just $200 a month payments, that would be better than me going into subsidized housing, because they don't allow dogs, and Bosley has been with me for 13 years. I'm not planning on losing my dog."

Lake County Treasurer John Petalas said the hearings are part of a process to ensure the sale of about 18,000 properties throughout the county to real-estate speculators doesn't cause undue misery.

Petalas said state law mandates selling off tax-delinquent properties regardless of the owner's circumstances. Those in the cross-hairs are homes and businesses around the county, many of them in Gary.

"I'm sure a lot of the homes have people living in them," he said.

"People on the list have a year to redeem their properties by paying their back taxes. Usually, those people will end up redeeming them."

Petalas said the total properties being sold are uncommonly large and likely due to the recession that has generated a 10 percent unemployment rate in Lake County and a surge in mortgage foreclosures. The county sheriff had to resell 300 foreclosed homes this month and expects to do another 370 in July.

Lake County Commissioner Fran DuPey, D-Hammond, said she has been expecting a flood of calls from constituents about the upcoming tax sale. "I've only heard from one person concerned about losing their home. I think they are making arrangements to go on a payment plan," she said.

"I support holding the tax sale. To not hold it would be unfair to the people who have been paying taxes faithfully. We have to have money to keep government running. I think the county needs to work closely with people at risk of foreclosure."

Hearings set: Lake Circuit Court Judge Lorenzo Arredondo or a magistrate will hear pleadings July 2 from people asking to be exempted from the Lake County Treasurer's office tax sale. The treasurer and county commissioners previously handled such cases privately, but complaints of favoritism by real estate speculators prompted county officials to move the process into open court to ensure fairness. Anyone wishing to be heard by the court must fill out a petition to Circuit Court in the County Clerk's office, 2293 N. Main St. in Crown Point.

http://www.nwi.com/articles/2009/06/29/ ... 7b53e7.txt