Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Chiefs Email July 28, 2009
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:16 pm 

Good Morning

A few things to lpass along--

Suspicious Activity

Children's Books - On July 8th a resident in the 3100 block of Woodbine in Portage reported that at approximately 12 noon he was contacted by a solicitor, described as a middle eastern male, short, brown shirt, dark short hair and who spoke with an accent. The man was carrying a black duffle bag and represented that he was selling children's books. He then attempted to open the door and walk without invite into the residence. When denied entry he then asked to use the bathroom and was again denied. The man then walked away and told the homeowner that he would return the following day.

The man then proceeded to walk to a tree in the front yard and with the homeowners young children watching from an upstairs window, he unbuttoned his pants, allowed them to fall to the ground and began urinating The subject was seen to depart in a silver colored Saturn, 2 door, Indiana license plate 179BPU. Investigation determined that he had been to the residence the previous day and dealt with a woman at the residence at that time, again attempting to gain entry into the residence.

On July 24th a resident in the 2800 block of Vivian in Portage reported that at about 8:30 am a middle eastern looking male, approximately 20 years old, had knocked on her door. The door was answered by a 14 year old boy who was asked if either of his parents were home. During this conversation the middle eastern looking male was told to leave at which time he began asking the teenager how old he was, which school he attended and other personal questions. The subject, described as thin, black hair, wearing a plaid shirt, tan slacks and carrying a black duffle bag was seen to depart on a bicycle.

Investigation determined that this male had been to the residence the day prior and spoke with a grandmother who had been babysitting. That visit took place at about 1:30 pm.
At that time the male said that he was taking orders for photographs with her grandchildren, offering to dress up as Santa Claus, indicating that he had a Santa suit in his car. The complainant did not observe a vehicle in the area. As the lady was attempting to close the door he then offered to sell her some children's books.

We believe we may have identified the subject in the second visit and we are working on confirming his presence at the Woodbine residence. If he is who we think he is, you should be looking for a Malaysian male, 20 years of age, 5'11 tall, 140 pounds, brown eyes and black hair He may well display a City of Portage permit to solicit and he may represent to you that he is selling children's books for a company based in the south.

At this time no charges have been filed. We would appreciate notice of any contact with this person and the details of that contact. (219-762-3122)

-------------------------

Scams

Gypsies Return-- Stone Avenue between Hickory and Blake; Evergreen and Willowdale ---Normally mid day- early afternoon

Vehicle involved - Dark blue or black pick up truck with bed cap - Unknown license plate

Suspects - # 1 Thin Hispanic looking male
- # 2 Medium to heavy set Hispanic looking male

The suspects pulled their vehicle into the victim's driveway and then one of them went to the back door, rang the doorbell and then actually entered the residence. The homeowner found him (suspect #1) standing in the laundry room. The suspect then told the homeowner that he was there to conduct a land survey for his neighbor, who he advised was in the process of selling his home. The homeowner was lured out into the backyard for this conversation, during which time the second suspect sneaked into the home and began looking for valuables. The robbery was interrupted by a lawn care person.

As always seems to be the case with Gypsy scams, the victim was an elderly person who had recently been doing yard work. Perhaps the suspects had observed her in the yard at that time. The victim's sister in law in Lake Station, same last name as our victim, was also visited by these knuckleheads.

Please, warn your elderly friends and family members to be watchful and careful when dealing with strangers that present themselves at their door.

MetLife Insurance -- Recently a subscriber to the Chief's Email told that her parents had received a letter reportedly from the MetLife Insurance Company. The letter told of pending lawsuit against MetLife and instructed the recipients NOT to contact their insurance agent as to receiving this letter. The letter included a telephone number to call with instructions that they were to call the number and provide their policy number.

----------------------------

"10-43" (That's police talk for "information")

From time to time we field several calls on our "911" line that would be better served coming in our business line. The "911" calls are reserved for emergencies and I recently took an email from a person who wanted some guidance in the use of "911". I have attached a word document that provides some useful thoughts when dialing "911"- please find the attachment at the top of this email.

---------------------------

Interested in John Dillinger?

Streetscape near Biograph Theater wherer John Dilliner was killed

The FBI recently sent out a story about the myths and legend of this vicious criminal who spent some of his time in NW Indiana-
Take a look at http://http://www.fbi.gov/page2/july09/ ... 72209.html

Contact Us!

Emergency - "911"
Routine Business - (219) 762-3122
STOP Team - (219) 764-5676
By Text - Enter 847411 then enter PPDTIP, followed by your message
We Tip Line- 1 - 800 - 78 - CRIME

Remember- if it does not feel right, it isn't---when in doubt contact your police department and let them decide what to do.

Have a great day and be safe!

Mark J. Becker
Chief of Police
Portage Police Department
Portage, Indiana

Post subject: Re: The Chiefs Email July 28, 2009
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:02 pm 

A wife takes a lover home during the day while her husband is at work.

The 9-year old son comes home early, sees them and hides in the bedroom
Closet to watch.

Unexpectedly, the woman's husband also comes home.

She puts her lover in the closet, not realizing that the little boy is
Already in there.

The little boy says, "Dark in here."

The man says, "Yes, it is."

Boy: "I have a baseball."

Man: "That's nice"

Boy: "Want to buy it?"

Man: "No, thanks."

Boy: "My Dad's outside."

Man: "OK, how much?"

Boy: "$250"

Weeks later, it happens that the boy and the lover find

Themselves in the closet again.

Boy: "Dark in here."

Man: "Yes, it is."

Boy: "I have a baseball glove."

The lover, remembering the last time, asks the boy,

"How much?"

Boy: "$750"

Man: "Sold"

A few days later, the Dad says to the boy, "Grab your

Glove, let's go outside and have a game of catch.."

The boy says, "I can't, I sold my baseball and my glove."

The Dad asks, "How much did you sell them for?"

Boy: "$1,000"

The Dad says, "That's terrible to rip off your friends like

That...that is way more than those two things cost.

I'm taking you to church, to confession"

In church, the Dad makes sure the boy goes in to the confessional and
Closes the door.

The boy says, "Dark in here."

The priest says, "Don't start that again; you're in my closet now."