Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Which High School would YOU rather attend?
Crown Point 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Hammond 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: CP Teaches Hammond a lesson
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:59 am 

Hammond students visit C.P. High for learning experience

CROWN POINT | The differences between Hammond and Crown Point high schools became clear as the day went on Tuesday.

About 40 students from Hammond High visited Crown Point High School as part of an assignment with Hammond sociology teacher Anita Cox's class. She said she had been trying to do a similar exchange program for years, but Crown Point was the only high school to respond to her request.

The idea was to give her students a look at an area high school with strong academic achievement.

Cox said the Hammond students' visit was part of a six-part assignment in her class that involved making a list of things they would like to change at Hammond High, writing a reflection essay on their experience and creating a poster illustrating what they experienced at Crown Point High. At the end of the day, Cox said she was pleased to not only see the differences in the schools but also the similarities, such as the way students act in the classroom and teaching strategies.

After a morning icebreaker, the Hammond students spent the day shadowing Crown Point students with whom they had been paired. The Crown Point students participating were part of a newly formed club, the Student Union, which celebrates diversity within the school.

At the end of the day, the students broke into groups to discuss what they had experienced, with conversations ranging from school dances to the performing arts.

"You know, you always feel like the grass is always greener on the other side," said Blake Zolfo, 17, a senior at Crown Point, while discussing the differences in the buildings' appearances.

"But the grass isn't always greener," responded Lisa Wiley, 17, a senior at Hammond.

Wiley said the environment at Crown Point was what she would like and said if she had gas money to travel to Crown Point every day, she would.

Kymberly Humphrey, 17, a Hammond senior, said she learned a lot she could take back to Hammond High, such as starting more clubs for student involvement, longer passing periods and different locker configurations.

The Crown Point students plan to travel to Hammond High later in the school year, said Amy Sansone, Student Union sponsor.

"If we don't appreciate our school, we don't know what we have," Jessica Vargas, 17, a Crown Point senior, said Hammond students told her all day. "I'm not saying their school isn't good, but I appreciate what our community has given us. ... No matter what, they're kids like us, and we had fun with them."

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Re: CP Teaches Hammond a lesson
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:27 pm 

My youngest daughter goes to Hammond High, but I have a nephew that goes to Crown Point. The differance between the mindset of the majority of the kids that go to these schools, is a world apart. The differance between the 2 school administrations, is like night and day.

I think it was good for these HHS kids to see Crown Point, and I think it would be a real eye opener for the Crown Point kids to come here. The Crown Point kids will have a greater appreciation of what they have, after visiting the failing School City of Hammond.

With all the new school buildings in Hammond, mandatory uniforms, no tolerance policy, etc, the Hammond Schools are still rated almost at the bottom. Last time I checked, the SCH was the 3rd worst school system in the state. When you have an administration that only cares about it's own hide, you will have a failing school system. They can build more new buildings, and it will not make a differance. Unless there are some drastic changes in the administration, the SCH will bottom out, and being the 3rd worst in the state, it doesn't have far to go.

My daughter is doing excellant at HHS, and I have to give all the credit to her Teachers. Despite the failings of the SCH, there are a great number of dedicated Educators, who have not thrown down the gauntlet. Despite the lack of back-up from the Administration, they are fighting tooth and nail to do their best to educate the kids.

I do put a lot of blame on the parents, but they can be motivated, if the SCH decides to do their job, and push the parents to do the right thing.The Administration is lazy and incompetant, and half the School Board is no better. The other half of the School Board just needs a bit of a shove, to be reminded of their duties.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:42 pm 

Thanks for your insight Tiger.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:53 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:

Didn't she write the book "Coping with a Sexless Marriage" ?

/12-year old humor mode

Last edited by Enrico_Pallazzo on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:53 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Thanks for your insight Tiger.

You are welcome ! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:58 pm 

Enrico_Pallazzo wrote:
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:

Didn't she write the book "Coping with a Sexless Marriage" ?

/12-year old humor mode

LOL !!! BTW, the Principal of HHS name is Ms. Fullilove. Let me clue ya, many parents, students, and staff do NOT refer to her as Ms. Full-of-love !!! I will let you figure out as to what they DO say ! :twisted: :shock:

FTR, I have never had a problem with her, and neither has my daughter. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:22 pm 

C.P. high school newspaper wins national award again

Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:30 pm | No Comments Posted

CROWN POINT | The Crown Point High School newspaper Inklings has earned the George H. Gallup award of Highest Honors from the Quill and Scroll International Honorary Society for High School Journalists for the fourth time in five years.

To receive this award, the publication must earn superior achievement in all five sections of judging, which are coverage, writing and editing, display and design, business practices and policy guidelines.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:16 pm 

C.P.H.S. designated Indiana spotlight high school

CROWN POINT | Crown Point High School has been awarded an Indiana Department of Eduction Spotlight High School designation.

The school was recognized for innovations that lead the state in college readiness and college programming, a news release from Crown Point school officials said.

Nine out of 10 freshmen at Crown Point High were on track for college readiness, and 64 percent of 2010 graduates walked across the stage with a 3 or better on an Advanced Placement test and/or college credit earned from Indiana colleges.

Student council President Racheal Froneck and Principal Eric Ban presented the award earlier this month to Superintendent of Schools Teresa Eineman and School Board representative Scott Angel.

P.J. O'Rourke