Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: $30 Daily Fee to Prisoners Unfair
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:52 pm 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... e8b06.html

Inmates may be hit with new fee
Lake County Council to look at $30 a day charge if detainees have been convicted

CROWN POINT | The Lake County Council will consider imposing a reimbursement fee on Lake County Jail inmates who have been sentenced by the court.

Expected to be introduced Tuesday at the council's next regular meeting, the proposal sets the fee at $30 a day, which appears to be the maximum reimbursement allowed by state law.

An analysis of the costs of housing inmates at Lake County Jail showed a daily cost of $61.80, which included overhead, or $38.10 without including overhead.

As currently proposed, the fee would be applied to detainees convicted of either a felony or a misdemeanor.

"The judges are aware this is out there," said Councilman Larry Blanchard, R-Crown Point.

Blanchard, who proposed the ordinance, indicated the county's judges have not registered any opposition to the idea.

It was unclear Thursday whether the proceeds from the fee would be returned to the general fund or placed in a special fund reserved for the jail. The needs at the jail currently are under review by the U.S. Department of Justice after the jail was found to be deficient in a number of areas.

Councilman Ted Bilski, D-Hobart, argued the proceeds should be dedicated to cover the remedies that have been proposed for the jail, such as a special sealing for the shower areas.

Who thinks this stuff up? :roll:

Well I am opposed even if nobody else is. Is it not fair to say that most of these inmates and detainees are lower income? So where are they going to get this $30 a day from? They might not even earn $30 now before being apprehended. So if low income don't get exempted I can just see an ACLU challenge waiting to be filed.

So let's say someone gets the max sentence of 1 year. $30 x 364 days (because it can't be 365) = $10,920. So are you going to just send them a monthly bill for $100 or so?

I mean I get the intention. The jail needs updating and housing prisoners costs money. So why not make them pay for their own upkeep. But you're getting into dangerous territory with this additional type of punishment. It's not a fee to soak the rich because odds are pretty good the rich will either beat the rap with a good lawyer or get a suspended sentence. And if the sentence is avoided or suspended obviously no housing costs were incurred, so any effort to charge them this fee would also be unfair, though the article does not seem to indicate the fee would be charged in this case aside for the short time of detention.

I do feel that the jail will be an important issue for the next sheriff. Current county plans are to spend about a half $mil for upgrades while some contend we need a brand new jail to address some of the embarrassing issues that have come up under the Domingas leadership. I have been saying for years that we should look into an agreement with Porter County which has a brand new underutilized facility. Something we could do almost immediately is send our long term prisoners over there to ease our congestion but so far that's getting little consideration.

I know budgets are tight all over the branches of government and government seems unwilling to think rationally in many matters. But this $30 a day proposal might seem on the surface to to make some sense it's really a half baked proposal that will cost us more in lawsuits than it will ever bring in through revenue. IOW typical LC government.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

Post subject: Re: $30 Daily Fee to Prisoners Unfair
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:11 am 

Mirage wrote:

People who want to save law abiding citizens such as you and myself precious tax dollars.

Mirage wrote:
Is it not fair to say that most of these inmates and detainees are lower income? So where are they going to get this $30 a day from? They might not even earn $30 now before being apprehended. So if low income don't get exempted I can just see an ACLU challenge waiting to be filed.

I don't give a rat's ass. What the hell makes you think these criminals are entitled to the money made by a person making an honest living?

Mirage wrote:
So let's say someone gets the max sentence of 1 year. $30 x 364 days (because it can't be 365) = $10,920. So are you going to just send them a monthly bill for $100 or so?

Start a charity. I'm sure you'll get many donors. :smt005

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:20 am 

Actually you should give a care. What makes you think this will do anything but cost us more money in the end? Then you'll still have the upkeep expense to meet but won't have a budget for it. So that could mean early release because there's no money to pay for their stay. Do you really want that?

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:27 am 

Can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

typical Lake County, they'll impose this and then when these drunks, parasites and assorted drug addicts can't come up with the money it will show as red ink on the books and then lake County will come after Joe Taxpayer.

mark my words...

and anyone who actually thinks will reduce taxes is an idiot...no ifs ands or buts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:09 pm 

Mirage wrote:
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/article_9027fc98-cdb0-5612-b980-c5eb05ee8b06.html

Inmates may be hit with new fee
Lake County Council to look at $30 a day charge if detainees have been convicted

Well I am opposed even if nobody else is. Is it not fair to say that most of these inmates and detainees are lower income? So where are they going to get this $30 a day from? They might not even earn $30 now before being apprehended. So if low income don't get exempted I can just see an ACLU challenge waiting to be filed.

Who cares, is this my problem (taxpayers).
Mirage wrote:

YES! I get a bill twice a month.

Mirage wrote:

I mean I get the intention. The jail needs updating and housing prisoner’s costs money. So why not make them pay for their own upkeep. But you're getting into dangerous territory with this additional type of punishment. It's not a fee to soak the rich because odds are pretty good the rich will either beat the rap with a good lawyer or get a suspended sentence. And if the sentence is avoided or suspended obviously no housing costs were incurred, so any effort to charge them this fee would also be unfair, though the article does not seem to indicate the fee would be charged in this case aside for the short time of detention.

You are a trip Mirage, however I already know this. You also have no clue what you are talking about, that is even more obvious. I truly hope that someday you are a victim of a violent serious crime by one of your friends. I wonder if this will change your views on criminals since you are always cheering for them.

Mirage wrote:
I do feel that the jail will be an important issue for the next sheriff. Current county plans are to spend about a half $mil for upgrades while some contend we need a brand new jail to address some of the embarrassing issues that have come up under the Domingas leadership. I have been saying for years that we should look into an agreement with Porter County which has a brand new underutilized facility. Something we could do almost immediately is send our long term prisoners over there to ease our congestion but so far that's getting little consideration.

Maybe you Hammond and Gary trash bags should keep your own criminals and then Lake County won't have this problem either. Why should Porter County, or any other county have anything to do with your trash that you seem to love so much? You really are stupid.

Mirage wrote:

I know budgets are tight all over the branches of government and government seems unwilling to think rationally in many matters. But this $30 a day proposal might seem on the surface to to make some sense it's really a half baked proposal that will cost us more in lawsuits than it will ever bring in through revenue. IOW typical LC government.

Hmmm Mirage would this compare to all the current lawsuits? Seems there is already a problem, maybe this fee is reality. I don't even consider it a fee, more like the "cost of living"... Maybe death could be the other option?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:32 pm 

Mao, you're not sounding like the liberal they accuse you of being.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:35 pm 

Politician's R Liars wrote:
You are a trip Mirage, however I already know this. You also have no clue what you are talking about, that is even more obvious. I truly hope that someday you are a victim of a violent serious crime by one of your friends. I wonder if this will change your views on criminals since you are always cheering for them.

Friends is the key word. Considering it's Hammond it wouldn't be a far stretch to assume Mirage has a friend or a family member that has been convicted of a serious crime.

Maybe you Hammond and Gary trash bags should keep your own criminals and then Lake County won't have this problem either. Why should Porter County, or any other county have anything to do with your trash that you seem to love so much? You really are stupid.

Definitely.

karent wrote:
Mao, you're not sounding like the liberal they accuse you of being.

Sorry. I don't assign myself to labels. I believe in what I believe in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:19 pm 

No I don't associate with felons and that's not what this is about. Politician's R Liars is incorrect. It's not about being buddies with crooks and I think you know that. It's about yet another LC failure in the works that's gonna cost more money than it's worth in the end.

Somebody mentioned Hammond. You're darned right being from Hammond has something to do with my view. Because I can't count the times Hammond got sued for half baked ordinances. Lemme just mention 1. Nobody wanted yet another liquor store in Hessville, and especially not at 165th & Kennedy. Long story short Hammond got sued for illegally denying the license and Nick's Liquors got a nice fat check courtesy of the Hammond City Council. Why do we even pay for government attorneys when they aren't protecting us from needless suits? :evil:

When will you people ever learn from history? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:10 pm 

Mirage wrote:
No I don't associate with felons and that's not what this is about. Politician's R Liars is incorrect. It's not about being buddies with crooks and I think you know that.

No what it boils down to is once again you are trying to dump Hammond's problems on the rest of the county, and now Porter County too. You fight with freetime. Why the hell don't you people just listen to her and clean the trashy politicians out of your shitty.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:36 pm 

Chairman Mao wrote:
Mirage wrote:
No I don't associate with felons and that's not what this is about. Politician's R Liars is incorrect. It's not about being buddies with crooks and I think you know that.

No what it boils down to is once again you are trying to dump Hammond's problems on the rest of the county, and now Porter County too. You fight with freetime. Why the hell don't you people just listen to her and clean the trashy politicians out of your shitty.

Dumping a problem on Porter County? :shock:

If anything it would help them! If we pay them and they make a small profit from housing some of our prisoners that could be a savings for us in eliminating unneeded personnel. Last I heard they had lots of space available at the still new Porter facility so it helps them too. A win, win for both counties.

There are plenty of "trashy politicians" in LC government, or are you a Philpot & George Van Til supporter? You probably voted for Roy Domingas too. But I suppose you're now a Buncich fan?

You Dem political hacks crack me up with your hypocrisy. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:15 pm 

Mirage wrote:
Last I heard they had lots of space available at the still new Porter facility so it helps them too. A win, win for both counties.

I think Porter County is intelligent enough to spot a wolf in sheep's clothing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:36 pm 

Chairman Mao wrote:

I think Porter County is intelligent enough to spot a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Yeah Porter County isn't nearly as ignorant as Lake, at least not yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:31 pm 

Speaking of poorly thought out County projects I was reminded of this gem in a story about the new ethanol plant.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 72b27.html

Lake County has entered its latest venture into the trash disposal business as it continues reeling from a previous pursuit.

The Lake County Solid Waste Management District still is paying off a multimillion-dollar settlement stemming from a decade-old lawsuit regarding a planned county landfill.

Some county officials embroiled in the suit say they worry the same fate could befall the county's trash-to-ethanol project in Schneider.

In the mid-1990s, the district began reviewing developers to establish a landfill on a 560-acre parcel of farmland in Eagle Creek Township, at Interstate 65 and Ind. 2.

The district signed a contract in 1996 with USA Waste Services-Hickory Hills Inc. Two years later, the district rescinded its contract, amid allegations from Hickory Hills that some county leaders had tried to scuttle the project.

In 2000, the developer sued the district, and county officials, including Jeffrey Langbehn, Lake County Commissioner Gerry Scheub and then-Crown Point Mayor James Metros, for breach of contract, seeking $50 million in damages from the interrupted project.

Without admitting fault, the district settled the suit three years later for $9 million. Clifford Duggan, attorney for the district, said the district later auctioned off the land for $1.5 million that went to paying down the debt.

Metros said the waste management district is "in the same boat again," leaving the county vulnerable to potential legal problems.

"Once again, the solid waste district has put the taxpayers of Lake County at serious risk of being sued by somebody," Metros said.

Metros said he fears that if stakes are pulled on the Schneider project, "Somebody's going to have to come knocking on Lake County's door asking for their money back."

Duggan said he doesn't think the Schneider plant will suffer the same outcome, saying organizers have worked cooperatively toward getting it built.

"It has not been divisive at all," Duggan said. "I feel very comfortable and confident in the process."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:41 am 

Don't try to compare a fee to scum hole prisoners to a political scam like this. Your entire point in posting this $30 fee was to show your continued passion towards scum. This fee should have been in place since day one in all jails and prisions!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:53 pm 

Don't try to compare a fee to scum hole prisoners to a political scam like this. Your entire point in posting this $30 fee was to show your continued passion towards scum. This fee should have been in place since day one in all jails and prisions!

The very "scum" you refer to won't be paying this. Actually my point is the fee is basically uncollectable and will cost more money than it will net so my points are valid. Typical half baked LC government thinking all over again.

But really if everybody in there is as bad as you say then why are they only landing in county jail when they should be serving more than a year in the state pen?