Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: City Aims to Shed 'Bad' Image With a Jackson Center
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:09 pm 

Michael Jackson's father, Joe Jackson, in front of the old family home in Gary, Ind. Officials want to build a Graceland-like project in the city.

GARY, Ind.—The landscape in this Rust Belt relic is punctuated by empty, hulking steel mills, dilapidated homes and vacant storefronts.

Now city leaders hope to repair Gary's image and revive the community's spirit with a massive new performing-arts theater and cultural center dedicated to the city's most famous son: the king of pop, Michael Jackson.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," Gary Mayor Rudy Clay said. "This will draw people here from all over the world."

Plans for a $300 million project outlined at a news conference here Wednesday include a 300-room hotel, shops and restaurants as well as a golf course and conference center. Likening the project to Graceland—the Elvis Presley museum in Memphis, Tenn.—Mr. Clay said he expected it to draw 500,000 to 750,000 visitors a year. He hopes those people would pump $100 million to $150 million into Gary's economy.

But the plans immediately ran into resistance from lawyers for the estate of Michael Jackson, who said they have not been contacted about the project.

Howard Weitzman, an attorney for the Jackson estate said in a statement Michael Jackson's "music name, likeness, memorabilia and other intellectual property are assets exclusively owned by the estate" and cannot be used without permission. The estate is also considering building it's own museum at a site yet to be determined, he said.

The city has signed 300 acres of land along the Little Calumet River over to the Jackson Family Foundation, which is headed by Michael Jackson's father, Joseph Jackson. The site is by a major interstate highway over which 300,000 cars pass daily, officials said.

Plans to capitalize on Mr. Jackson's global fame have been offered before in this hard-luck city on the shores of Lake Michigan. But this is the first time parts of the Jackson family have formally backed them. Gary city officials hope to break ground next year.

Still, it wasn't clear where the $300 million was coming from. Mr. Clay said private developers "were lining up" to invest in the project and no taxpayer money would be used to pay for it. He offered no other specifics.

When asked about the pushback from the estate of Michael Jackson, Mr. Clay refused to comment, saying only that the city is working with the Jackson Family Foundation.

Simon Sahouri, a Las Vegas-based real estate developer and the president of the Jackson Family Foundation, said six or seven other cities—some outside the U.S.—had expressed interest in hosting the project. But the Foundation chose Gary due to Michael Jackson's wishes. He declined to name the cities or potential investors.

"I'll believe it when I see it," said Dennis Forbes Jr., the third-generation owner of English Auto Service Center not far from the Jackson family home. "There are a lot of promises here but not much happens. Gary is basically a first-of-the-month kind of city; people rely on some kind of government check to get by."

Joseph Jackson said his son had said in 2003 that he wanted to build a performing arts center in Gary. "We're carrying out his legacy," Mr. Jackson said. "We're bringing something back." Michael Jackson was born in Gary along with eight brothers and sisters.

They were raised in a tiny, one-story, two-bedroom bungalow in a quiet city neighborhood. Joseph Jackson worked as a crane operator in the nearby steel mills to support his family. By the time Michael was 12 years old, he and the Jackson Five were world-famous pop performers. The family moved away in 1968, when the population of Gary was about 175,000.

Even before Michael died last August, dozens of fans a day made the pilgrimage to his Gary home, which the family still owns, neighbors said. But the steel jobs that helped feed the Jackson kids are gone and Gary's population has dwindled to about 96,000.

Across the street, the entrepreneurial resident of a home the same size and layout as the Jackson's charged tourists to come inside in groups of 11 to get a flavor of Michael's childhood and feel how crowded it was for the family.

After Mr. Jackson died, the trickle of tourists and fans trooping past his boyhood home grew to a torrent. Bus tours carried fans from Chicago, 30 miles away, and the home became something of a shrine, said Damon Hoskins, owner of the home across the street. He is confident that a performing arts center capitalizing on Mr. Jackson's fame will be a boon. "People love him and they come from all over the world just to be near where he grew up," Mr. Hoskins said.

Mr. Clay, the mayor, acknowledged that some residents will be skeptical until money is in hand. "Sometimes it's hard to hope when you've been down so long," he said. "But right now, hope is alive."

WALL STREET JOURNAL JUNE 5, 2010

Post subject: Re: City Aims to Shed 'Bad' Image With a Jackson Center
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:32 pm 

Like that is going to restore Gary's image and make of for everything that has happened to Gary since it elected Hatcher in 1967.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:37 pm 

Joe's just desperate to make money because he was a bastard all of his life, Michael hated him, and left him out of his will.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:02 am 

According to the Times, the center is going in a flood plain. Also, a whole $10,000 has been raised. I think if the Jacksons want to donate the buildings, it's a great idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:22 am 

I'm sure the race card will be brought out any minute...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:16 am 

I was hoping to be out of the country while the anniversary hullaballoo went on. Guess I can't afford THAT LOOONNNGG of a vacation - teehee.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 am 

building a shrine to a child molester...

and Rudy is talking out of both of his faces...

from the article.

Quote:
The city has signed 300 acres of land along the Little Calumet River over to the Jackson Family Foundation, which is headed by Michael Jackson's father, Joseph Jackson. The site is by a major interstate highway over which 300,000 cars pass daily, officials said.

Plans to capitalize on Mr. Jackson's global fame have been offered before in this hard-luck city on the shores of Lake Michigan. But this is the first time parts of the Jackson family have formally backed them. Gary city officials hope to break ground next year.

Still, it wasn't clear where the $300 million was coming from. Mr. Clay said private developers "were lining up" to invest in the project and no taxpayer money would be used to pay for it. He offered no other specifics.

no taxpayer money would be used to pay for it

The city has signed 300 acres of land along the Little Calumet River over to the Jackson Family Foundation, which is headed by Michael Jackson's father, Joseph Jackson. [b]The site is by a major interstate highway over which 300,000 cars pass daily[/b]

prime real estate owned by the taxpayers given to a hustler by another hustler...and the taxpayers are told no taxpayer money would be used to pay for it...

I guess the people of Gary REALLY ARE that stupid.

how much did YOU get for it Rudy?

Last edited by Moby Grape on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:57 am 

Lipstick on a pig.

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:42 pm 

Where the little boys room be at????? I need to share my bed. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:27 pm 

I heard they want to build it on a swamp...

How stupid. AND they are going to have a Michael Jackson "International Fanfest" or some shizz like that in the Radisson Star Plaza. Why? Because even Michael Jackson fans are smart enough to stay away from that money pit Genesis Center.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:09 pm 

happy jack wrote:
Lipstick on a pig.

Too Funny! :lol:

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:07 am 

I smell the mob!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 am 

Quote:

You are not alone...

...in thinking some Michael Jackson fans are a little creepy.
On the one year anniversary of Jackson's death, many fans
decided to draw "tribute" pictures
(Warning: link has some obscene language)
of the King of Pop. I'm not sure what kind of tribute
some of these drawings are supposed to be,
but I'd rather not remember Jackson that way.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/- ... ry?index=2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:07 am 

gee...who didn't see this coming?
Let's hear it again how no taxpayer money is going to be spent on this.

Quote:
Jackson group ties with M'ville nonprofit
By Christine Kraly and Bowdeya Tweh Times Staff Writers nwi.com

The group trying to build a multimillion-dollar Michael Jackson megaplex in Gary now is tied to a nonprofit that has two officers accused of fraud in recent years.

But the project's lead developer is defending the move to partner with the nonprofit and said the combined groups will further the mission to bringing job opportunities to the Steel City.

The Jackson Family Heritage Foundation Inc. has assumed the Merrillville nonprofit Positive Action Inc., according to documents filed last week with the Indiana Secretary of State. A document signed Thursday by Patricia Freeland, Positive Action's president, treasurer and director, said five board members voted to merge their group with the Jackson foundation but does not list those members.

According to its state filings, the mission of Positive Action, established in 2003, is to give construction job training in underserved areas and to help "clients to become productive citizens."

BREAK

Federal and Lake County court records show Freeland and former Positive Action board member LaDonna McCloud have faced separate fraud charges.

Freeland was charged in May 2005 in Lake County with fraud on a financial institution, but the charges were later dropped. Freeland went on to sue a Merrillville police officer, the town of Merrillville, the bank and its manager in Hammond federal court in August 2006 for at least $5 million, accusing them of false arrest and claiming they had slandered her, causing her to lose her job.

According to the lawsuit she filed in Hammond federal court, the various defendants said the bank's manager called Merrillville police in May 2005 after Freeland tried to deposit in her account two checks, one for $100,200 and another for $42,131.55. The manager confirmed the checks were fraudulent, court records state.

BREAK

McCloud, Freeland's fellow Positive Action officer, faces criminal charges of check fraud, check deception and conversion, dating between August 2006 and December 2008.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 01c85.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:32 pm 

just when ya thought it couldn't get any more.....

''bizarre''?

Quote:
Joe Jackson invests in Vietnam 'Happyland' park
Associated Press, by Staff

Joe Jackson, father of late king of pop Michael Jackson, was in Vietnam to attend Monday's groundbreaking ceremony for a five-star hotel and amusement park called "Happyland." Online newspaper VietnamNet said Jackson, 82, was at the groundbreaking as one of the investors in the $2 billion, five-star 1,000-room hotel and amusement park in southern Long An province, located about 20 minutes outside Ho Chi Minh City. It is scheduled to be finished in 2014, and is designed to attract up to 14 million visitors annually.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/02/14/1694 ... etnam.html