Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Is it true about drug testing for Poor Relief & Food Stamps
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:25 pm 

When somebody is gunning for you and you know it if you have an escape route it's good to use it.

Common sense tells the prudent man always keep and escape route just in case. This applies to your everyday life.

Never put all your eggs in one basket.

Post subject: Re: Is it true about drug testing for Poor Relief & Food Stamps
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:52 pm 

Geronimo wrote:
Never put all your eggs in one basket.

What? Am I supposed to take them out of their container and put them in separate shopping carts?

Modern egg packaging, has rendered the multiple basket paradigm obsolete.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Re: Is it true about drug testing for poor relief & Food Stamps
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:44 am 

I have mixed feelings on this issue. While I don't like the idea of the government demanding drug tests to be consistent it seems only fair that legislators & council members should be drug & alcohol tested before they start passing out money like drunken sailers.

Apparently it's about cast preservation. We are no longer the United States of America. Today we are the Obama nation which causes desolation. When you think Obama & the Dems are saying they want fair taxes they really mean fare taxes for all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:24 am 

Regionite wrote:
I have mixed feelings on this issue. While I don't like the idea of the government demanding drug tests to be consistent it seems only fair that legislators & council members should be drug & alcohol tested before they start passing out money like drunken sailers.

It would be interesting to see how many politicians would fail if they had to do random testing every so often.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:05 pm 

I have a feeling it's 25% - 50%. If this was the old days I bet some city boards would fail 100% for alcohol.

:D

When I was a kid almost every politician reeked of booze no matter the time of day. Even Bobby Kennedy couldn't resist a brewski at the now gone Yankee Inn when he was running for President. I saw the photo on the wall.

Apparently it's about cast preservation. We are no longer the United States of America. Today we are the Obama nation which causes desolation. When you think Obama & the Dems are saying they want fair taxes they really mean fare taxes for all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:33 am 

Quote:
Residents Angered over Proposed CHA Drug Tests for Adults
FOX Chicago News, by Darlene Hill

Chicago - The Chicago Housing Authority wants a yearly drug test for anyone over age 18, who lives in its housing. The plan caused some drama at a meeting Thursday night. Officials said the plan is already in place in some of its facilities, and they are talking about putting in across the board. But FOX Chicago News talked to a number of CHA residents who say this is just not right - they feel violated. "I think it's wrong to single people out to test them in able to give them housing,” CHA resident Monique Cooper said.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/me ... s-20110602

watch the video.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:31 am 

Quote:
States Adding Drug Test as Hurdle for Welfare
New York Times, by A. G. Sulzberger

KANSAS CITY, Mo.— As more Americans turn to government programs for refuge from a merciless economy, a growing number are encountering a new price of admission to the social safety net: a urine sample.

Policy makers in three dozen states this year proposed drug testing for people receiving benefits like welfare, unemployment assistance, job training, food stamps and public housing. Such laws, which proponents say ensure that tax dollars are not being misused and critics say reinforce stereotypes about the poor, have passed in states including Arizona, Indiana and Missouri.

In Florida, people receiving cash assistance through welfare have had to pay for their own drug tests since July, and enrollment has shrunk to its lowest levels since the start of the recession.

The law, the most far-reaching in the nation, provoked a lawsuit last month from the American Civil Liberties Union, arguing that the requirement represents an unreasonable search and seizure.

BREAK

“Working people today work very hard to make ends meet, and it just doesn’t seem fair to them that their tax dollars go to support illegal things,” said Ellen Brandom, a Republican state representative in Missouri.

The last three years, she sponsored legislation requiring testing of welfare recipients, and her bill was signed by Gov. Jay Nixon, a Democrat, in July.

Advocates for the poor say the testing policies single out and vilify victims of the recession, disputing the idea that people on public assistance are more likely to use drugs.

READ MORE
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/11/us/st ... r=1&ref=us

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:31 am 

Moby Grape wrote:
Quote:
[color=#000000]States Adding Drug Test as Hurdle for Welfare
New York Times, by A. G. Sulzberger

KANSAS CITY, Mo.— As more Americans turn to government programs for refuge from a merciless economy, a growing number are encountering a new price of admission to the social safety net: a urine sample.

Hey, if you have to pass a urine test to get, or keep a job, it is only fair to have to pass one to collect free money when you are on the dole.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:20 pm 

I work for my Federal Government check and I'm drug tested often, if you're getting free money from the Federal Government you should do the same.