Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Democrat Corruption - a Disgrace to Indiana
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:59 am 

The Lake County Democrats are a corrupt disgrace to Indiana, to Lake and to all other Indiana Counties.

Carol Ann Seaton doesn't even know where she lives but she's contesting her loss.

Post subject: Re: Democrat Corruption - a Disgrace to Indiana
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:58 am 

The only problem I have with what you said is the generalization implied that all Lake County Democrats are corrupt.
I don't believe that is true.
There are many good people here who really believe in Democratic principles who do not agree with or support the corrupt politicians.
I hope all the corrupt ones get what's coming to them

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:13 am 

freetime wrote:
The only problem I have with what you said is the generalization implied that all Lake County Democrats are corrupt.
There are many good people here who really believe in Democratic principles who do not agree with or support the corrupt politicians.
I hope all the corrupt ones get what's coming to them

The thing is, the way the party itself stands behind the corrupt ones, gives the impression they encourage and allow it though Freetime

Seaton is just the latest example. If it had been a Republican candidate, I bet they would have yanked her from the ballot as soon as the dual licenses came to light. But what does the party do in LC? Encourages people to vote straight ticket, thus giving her a ringing endorsement, then afterwords, say there was nothing they could do.

Funny, why not say that before the election, and say that you do not endorse her prior? Oh yeah, thats right, gotta support the fellow D's

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:23 am 

Actually, McDermott did say before the election that he couldn't legally take her off the ballot, and he pointed out that he had supported Randy Guernsey, not Seaton, in the primary.
I think I believe all that.
But that's where leadership comes in. As the chairman, he could have talked to her and told her she needed to step back for the good of the party.
Instead, he launched that infuriating straight ticket campaign in an effort to sweep her into office without notice, IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:37 am 

freetime wrote:

There were good people in the USSR, but the leaders and the party was Communist. It did a lot of harm.

There were good people in 1941 Germany, but the leader and the party was Nazi. It did a lot of harm

There may be good Democrats in Lake county but the leaders and the party is corrupt. It is doing a lot of harm.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:41 am 

Sure he couldnt do anything legally but keeping her on the ticket to get the Gary vote? That was asinine and stupid, and it hurt the D's big time in Lake County. He should have asked her to step down from the ticket, and then when she refused, he is exonerated because he "tried" to do the right thing. Sure she would not have dropped out, her ego wouldn't allow it, but at least he did attempt to do the right thing, and he would look better right now if he had done so.

It made me laugh reading election results from through out the state, and most pointed out how Adams barely beat Seaton even with all her issues, and many commentaries said that is exactly what is wrong with Lake County

It isn't just this area blasting them, its various papers throughout Indiana blasting the Lake County D's right now, and rightfully so

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:00 pm 

Seaton is just the latest Democrat disgrace.

There's Pabey, Frankie Kolintzas, the sidewalk six, Bobby Cantrell, Pastrick, GUEA,
and a steady flow of Democrat corruption, indictments and convictions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:13 pm 

Pabey is the most hilarious considering how he had to go to the courts to overcome the blatant illegal activities of his predecessor.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:41 pm 

I remember Democrat politician Katie Hall's defense when she was indicted on political corruption charges in Gary by U.S. Attorney Joe Van Bokkelen:

"But everyone is doing it."

She was stating that all Lake County Democrat office holders were engaged in the same political corruption.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:46 am 

Lake County Democrats are a culture of corruption.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:40 pm 

This is where I am so upset with the last election.........punch straight democrat.....over and over. Seaton????? yeah sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:20 am 

Quote:
Clay defends visits by convicted friend
Post Tribune BY JON SEIDEL

GARY -- Mayor Rudy Clay defends frequent visits by convicted businessman Roosevelt Powell to City Hall's executive offices, saying the red carpet is out "for anybody who wants to visit me."

"I'm certainly not going to turn away my friend," Clay said.

A federal jury convicted Powell, a former Lake County tax collector, in 2007 for his role in a fraudulent scheme to use the Gary Historical Society's tax-exempt status to pocket $150,000. Also convicted were Lake County Councilman Will Smith and attorney Willie Harris.

He was released from prison in May after serving his sentence, and since then has been seen repeatedly in City Hall's mayoral suite. Attempts to reach him since Clay made his comments have been unsuccessful. The mayor said Powell is helping him with his 2011 re-election campaign.

Clay also said anyone can visit him in his City Hall offices.

"I'm not a fair-weather friend," Clay said. "He's not on the city payroll. He does not influence city policy, and he does not have a city contract."

Clay has been steadfast in his defense of Powell ever since Powell's indictment four years ago, saying the businessman "is one of my two closest friends in the world."

But he's not the only person around City Hall Clay finds himself defending these days. City attorney Carl Jones was convicted last week of trafficking with an inmate, a Class A misdemeanor. Jones said during his trial a vendetta by a Lake County deputy prosecutor led to the charges.

Clay likened the crime last week to running a red light.

"It doesn't mean anything as far as his job is concerned," Clay said. "All it is is a misdemeanor."

And Community Development Director Jacquelyn Drago-Hunter was indicted by a federal grand jury last month on charges of wire fraud and aggravated identity theft. The grand jury didn't say she mismanaged tax money, and Clay said he's keeping her in charge of millions in stimulus dollars handled by her department.

Drago-Hunter pleaded not guilty, but she has declined to comment otherwise. After the indictment was unsealed, Clay said she "is a great God-fearing person from a great God-fearing family."

"She's keeping her job," he said

http://www.post-trib.com/news/2876704,n ... 09.article

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 am 

All of Rudy's friends are convicted felons it seems.

I wonder how many have city jobs right now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:40 am 

"All" is something of an exaggeration.
Let's just say Rudy Clay doesn't hold crimes against some of his buddies.
I always wonder when I hear such stories whether or not any non-criminal applicants want the city jobs, but I guess I haven't decided if non-criminals should have a leg up on the convicts. We've had the same situation here in Hammond.
What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:52 pm 

I think the goal of public officials in Gary is to get as much federal, state and local money as possible under their control and then to steal as much as possible.

They have become very good at that.

It used to be Gary and East Chicago, but now we have that practice in Crown Point.

Crown Point Mayor David Uran has paid $300,000 to his lawyers suing Plasmatronics to recover $10,000 and will recover none of the $380,000 loaned to Plasmatronics. The lawyers contribute to Uran's campaign fund.

It's revolting.