Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Foiled Robbery at LA Tan in Orland Park Honeybee Killler?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:53 pm 

I came across a full length unedited video of the foiled robbery at the LA Tan in Orland Park and thought I would share:

http://tinleypark.patch.com/articles/video-watch-as-hero-thwarts-la-tan-robbery#video-3946238

Here is the picture of the robber Gary Amaya, the police sketch of the honeybee killer, and a photo of the original suspect in the murders Brian Dorian, a Lynwood police officer.

ImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: Foiled Robbery at LA Tan in Orland Park Honeybee Killler?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:59 pm 

Apparently Gary Amaya liked ham radio and had a call sign of KC9AWD.

Call Sign: KC9AWD, Licensee ID: L00445302
Grant Date: 01/07/2002, Expiration Date: 01/07/2012, Certifier: Gary L Amaya
Registrant: Gary L Amaya, 426 East 4th St, Rankin, IL 60960

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/aradio/lic-Rankin-Illinois.html#ixzz18FALTp8y

In goggling his call sign I came across an ironic post here:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=215055

The guy was pretty active on that forum with 114 posts, perhaps the cops should check the time line and content of his posts to see if it offers any clues.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:00 pm 

Will County Sheriff: Amaya's gun, bullets match Lowell, Beecher shootings

By Times Staff | Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 2:43 pm

JOLIET, Ill. | The weapon used by Gary Amaya in a Saturday armed robbery at an Orland Park, Ill. tanning salon is the one used in the bistate shootings in Beecher, Ill. and Lowell in October, Will County Sheriff Paul Kaupas said Thursday.

During a news conference at the Will County Sheriff's Department Thursday, Lake County Sheriff Rogelio "Roy" Dominguez said farmer Keith Dahl, who was shot Oct. 5 near Lowell, "unequivocally identified" Amaya as the shooter.

Ken Kaupas, spokesman for the Will County Sheriff's Department, said Dahl's wife saw Amaya's picture on television and asked if he wanted to see it. After downloading the photo on his computer, Dahl took a ruler and covered Amaya's forehead, as if he were wearing a hat.

The shooter was described by Dahl and other witnesses as wearing a baseball cap at the time of the shootings.

According to Ken Kaupas, Dahl said, "That's the man who shot me." before calling Lake County sheriff's detectives.

Still, Paul Kaupas declined to positively identify Amaya as the shooter, saying they are still waiting on some forensic evidence.

Two men were shot -- one fatally -- in Washington Township near Beecher. Oct. 5 while working on a home for Rich Construction out of Dyer. Police say the gunman then drove to Lowell, where he shot Dahl.

Police initially charged a Lynwood police officer with the crime but soon dropped the charges after computer evidence showed he was home when the shootings occurred.

Amaya was shot and killed Dec. 11 while attempting to rob an L.A. Tan salon in Orland Park. Jason McDaniel, a customer who walked in on the attempted armed robbery, shot and killed Amaya with his own gun.

Dominguez said it could be up to two weeks before the results of the forensic evidence come back from the lab. Paul Kaupas declined to say what forensic evidence investigators are waiting on to positively identify Amaya as the bistate shooter.

Police confiscated weapons, ammunition and some clothing from Amaya's home in Rankin, Ill. after executing a search warrant there on Monday, Paul Kaupas said. Paul Kaupas said no motive has been discovered during the course of the investigation.

Paul Kaupas said he has not approached the man who ran into a corn field during the Oct. 5 shooting near Beecher to ask him to positively identify Amaya.

Paul Kaupas said Amaya has no criminal record and his only contact with police was a traffic citation.

Both sheriffs said Amaya was not under investigation prior to Saturday's botched robbery attempt.

"This guy was on no one's radar,"' spokesman Ken Kaupas said of Amaya after the press conference.

Orland Park Police Chief Tim McCarthy said it is not clear why Amaya chose to rob that tanning salon.

The news conference ended abruptly at 2:25 p.m. with officials saying they had other commitments.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:43 pm 

I hope Officer Dorian pursues, and wins, a hefty settlement in a defamation of character lawsuit.

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:07 am 

Watching the video is surreal. The lucky sales clerk was so compliant with this jerk. Apparently he wasn't there for the money as it seems it would have taken it and gone. It's too bad that the struggle took place off camera it would have been cool to watch him get plugged. If he wasn't so fat, slow and stupid the customer wouldn't have been able to disarm him so easily as he had to run across the room to get the gun. Glad he was though. Who knows how many more victims would have been killed before this psycho got caught.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:11 am 

happy jack wrote:
I hope Officer Dorian pursues, and wins, a hefty settlement in a defamation of character lawsuit.

I thinks spelcks would beg to differ on that.

Image wrote:
I didn't read about the police using any roadblocks to catch this killer. They did pull over trucks with drivers that matched the description of the shooter. One of the trucks that was pulled over on Wednesday was that of the killer. However, they let him go at that time,probably because he is a cop. When detectives reviewed all the stops made, they found something that eventually lead to his arrest. That is the kind of solid police work most people expect from the police. The killer actually posted on his facebook page that he was stopped and didn't like having a gun pointing at him. I think there will be plenty of things happening to him he won't like unless he commits suicide first.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9598&hilit=Dorian&start=15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:22 am 

Moby Grape wrote:
happy jack wrote:

I thinks spelcks would beg to differ on that.

Image wrote:
I didn't read about the police using any roadblocks to catch this killer. They did pull over trucks with drivers that matched the description of the shooter. One of the trucks that was pulled over on Wednesday was that of the killer. However, they let him go at that time,probably because he is a cop. When detectives reviewed all the stops made, they found something that eventually lead to his arrest. That is the kind of solid police work most people expect from the police. The killer actually posted on his facebook page that he was stopped and didn't like having a gun pointing at him. I think there will be plenty of things happening to him he won't like unless he commits suicide first.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9598&hilit=Dorian&start=15

Yes, sparks - you had Officer Dorian arrested, convicted, gang-raped, and dead by his own hand before you had even the slightest facts about what actually occurred.
Is this how you arrive at all of your conclusions - from a position of supreme knee-jerk ignorance?
What say you now about this case, schprickles?
Will you respond, or will you hide?

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:04 pm 

Did you notice how the "village idiot"convicted Dorien without one piece of solid proof. Wouldn't old Sparkie be great on a jury. Then when the facts came out and the perpitrator was shot, he attempted to distract his stupid remarks by attacking me about the time frame the dude got shot and my spelling and the structure of my wording.He's got the answers for everything.I can assure this dude I know more about this case than he can ever dream of.