Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Annoying humming sound in Whiting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:23 am 

For the last 5 days or so there has been an annoying and irritating pitched humming sound in Whiting. It goes on day and night! Has anyone noticed it who lives in Whiting. It penetrates through your whole house and is very irritating. I have lived in Whiting all my life and never heard this annoying humming sound before. I know there are train and industrial refinery sounds in Whiting which I have gotten use to, but, this humming sound is quite amazing and very irritating. This humming sound makes it difficult to watch and listen television or work on the computer, and this sound makes it hard to sleep at night. I know this may sound crazy, but anyone in Whiting hear this irritating humming sound the last few days?

Post subject: Re: Annoying humming sound in Whiting
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:09 pm 

It comes from the Duke Energy Station on the State Line. It's happened from time to time as long as I have been in Robertsdale (10 years) but seems to happen more frequently lately.

I am at the very north end of Robertsdale so it's possible that I hear it at times that you don't.

During the summer there was a REALLY loud instance of about 45 minutes when they had a problem with a turbine. There was even a Times article about that at the time.

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:20 pm 

Probably an auxillary intake pump for water.

Usually when a main pump goes out and while it's being repaired/waiting for parts an auxillary pump(s) is used.

Just a guess but a somewhat educated one having worked in power plants previously.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:46 am 

It seems like I've been hearing this humming sound for months (day and night)! At first I thought something was wrong within my house (furnace or something). It's going on right now as I type this out and has been for hours. very annoying. I thought maybe it had to do with BP's expansion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 pm 

rosie wrote:
It seems like I've been hearing this humming sound for months (day and night)! At first I thought something was wrong within my house (furnace or something). It's going on right now as I type this out and has been for hours. very annoying. I thought maybe it had to do with BP's expansion.

rosie....I am so glad you noticed this humming sound in Whiting. I thought I was the only one that heard this irritating and annoying hum. So, there has to be other Whiting residents that hear the same thing. Yes, this humming sound goes on day and night....terrible! Could be the BP expansion, if so, something has to be done about it. This humming sound drives you crazy! I think I will call City Hall to find out about this situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:12 pm 

Ahh Haa......I knew I wasn't crazy!! So we NOW know the source of this loud irritating noise in Whiting. I am glad City Hall is aware of it.
Man..... I'll tell you this sound is aggravating!!!

BP Noise Issue Update - March 30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, March 30, 2011

In recent months, many area residents have been negatively impacted by an unusual noise coming from the BP Whiting Refinery. BP offcials have assured the City that they are addressing this complicated issue. You can read a note submitted to the City late last month by BP officials by clicking here.

BP officials have met with City officials multiple times to discuss this issue. There is no apparent easy solution to this technical problem, but the refinery is committed to resolving the issue as soon as they can.

I apologize for not having any new information to post at this time and for not posting this information sooner.

Mayor Joe Stahura

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:48 pm 

Speaking out of school here I wonder if it's a test of the new wireless electrical transmission network. It should be coming online about now in the Whiting area if I remember it correctly. If so, it won't be going away.

Apparently it's about cast preservation. We are no longer the United States of America. Today we are the Obama nation which causes desolation. When you think Obama & the Dems are saying they want fair taxes they really mean fare taxes for all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:44 pm 

I thought it was just ken jacubzyk just blowing a lot of hot air for mcgermaggot again. :smt006

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:00 am 

Actually I have confirmed that it is a test attempt by the Democratic party to drown out the truth that overspending with money you don't have is stupid. In other words it's that giant sucking sound of your tax dollars going down the drain. If the test proves successful they will start doing it everywhere and pretend there is no hum.

Apparently it's about cast preservation. We are no longer the United States of America. Today we are the Obama nation which causes desolation. When you think Obama & the Dems are saying they want fair taxes they really mean fare taxes for all.