It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Unemployment
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:09 am 

NWI labor rallies against unemployment benefit cuts

http://www.nwi.com/articles/2009/04/27/ ... 127467.txt

Post subject: Re: No Unemployment For Sparks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:04 pm 

Well, that certainly explains a lot. Did you see where several people knocked the hell out of "sparky's" comments. If that is the same sparky that posts here (and it sure sounded like him) then I guess he spreads his ignorance all over NWI. Way to go spokles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:16 pm 

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
If that is the same sparky that posts here (and it sure sounded like him) then I guess he spreads his ignorance all over NWI.

Not to worry - he has more than enough to spare, and he will always have some left over to share with us.
That architecture discussion that you are having with him on the other board is the perfect example.
Clueless, indeed.

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:40 pm 

:(

Last edited by Screech on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:11 am 

I think I would have to break ranks with the GOP on this particular issue.

To me a true seasonal employee is like a Christmas tree salesman. But construction is a real job that just happens to thin out during winter, although that actually varies from state to state. Southern states can run construction for a solid 12 months as long as there is a demand, so northern winter layoffs are really more weather related than trade related.

To say that construction trades are merely seasonal means that teachers are ALSO seasonal. So it would be unfair to penalize northern construction workers when teachers everywhere would generally just work an 8 month schedule and be considered non-seasonal. And believe me some states have discussed reclassifying teachers as seasonal as well! But I don't recall off hand if they would be eligible to claim unemployment and food stamps. But that sorta defeats the purpose of food stamps being for the truly needy.

As for factories I guess it should depend on the type of manufacturing and whether they are only producing for a few months a year as opposed to most of the year.

As for Sparkie's comment, "1) Uninformed truck driver, no tradesman makes $73 an hour." I am wondering about underwater welders. ;)

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:10 am 

Mirage wrote:
I think I would have to break ranks with the GOP on this particular issue.

To me a true seasonal employee is like a Christmas tree salesman. But construction is a real job that just happens to thin out during winter, although that actually varies from state to state. Southern states can run construction for a solid 12 months as long as there is a demand, so northern winter layoffs are really more weather related than trade related.

To say that construction trades are merely seasonal means that teachers are ALSO seasonal. So it would be unfair to penalize northern construction workers when teachers everywhere would generally just work an 8 month schedule and be considered non-seasonal. And believe me some states have discussed reclassifying teachers as seasonal as well! But I don't recall off hand if they would be eligible to claim unemployment and food stamps. But that sorta defeats the purpose of food stamps being for the truly needy.

As for factories I guess it should depend on the type of manufacturing and whether they are only producing for a few months a year as opposed to most of the year.

As for Sparkie's comment, "1) Uninformed truck driver, no tradesman makes $73 an hour." I am wondering about underwater welders. ;)

The comment by Sparkie wasn't mine. The unemployment battle is an issue that affects hundreds of thousands of Hoosiers and could very well cost Republicans control of the legislature in 2012. As part of the "fix" that Governor Daniels has proposed for Indiana's unemployment deficit, he has done several things that will negatively impact Indiana's workers.
1) Benefits paid to workers will decrease every single month that a worker draws benefits. Many workers, especially single moms, live paycheck to paycheck. When they are laid-off, they end up resorting to cash advances off of credit cards to pay bills. I do not agree with reducing benefits every month to families that are already in financial distress because of job losses.
2) In addition to slashing benefits every month, the new system will force workers to take any job that is offered to them or lose unemployment benefits entirely. I believe the current unemployment benefits in Indiana cap out at $350/wk. If a worker were offered a job paying minimum wage,currently $6.55/hr, he would be forced to accept that job or lose his benefits completely. After taxes, he would net about $220/wk, a net decrease of $130/wk in income. This will result in even more foreclosures and bankruptcies in an already difficult economic situation. I was glad to see that the building trades stepped up and protested these draconian cuts that Governor Daniels has proposed. IMO, this is just another attack by the Republicans on the middle class. Responsible leaders do not propose policies that create even more economic distress to workers who have been laid off

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:31 am 

Way off base really. But that's the Democrat way, I suppose. The point isn't who the redefinition affects and how mad they may get but rather what is a reasonable practice. I realize that difference may be subtle but it is in fact as clear as night and day in thinking.

So if this bill goes through as I say it is only right that teachers would also be defined as seasonal when they do not have a 12 month schedule, which of course is a slim number of teachers as a whole.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:47 pm 

For those of you that don't know it is called sharp shooting long story I was very good at it and made a lot of money and collected the unemployment.

I would turn down work doing the week and on the weekend when the board was exhausted I would work every 8 hrs at time & half I would get a whole weeks work in 2 days and sign up for unemployment and its was legal at the time the construction industry has a shine board the railroads use to have a shine board then it was called the extra board.

The governor is not stupid and has vision there is something coming down the tubes called a reduced work week.

The ramifications are unknown the burden is being shifted to regions that are going to be adversely affected the trustees will be seeing more people and the region will raise taxes to take care of the poor the state is shifting the burden to the people and industry and the federal government.

What do you think the ramification of an electric car are going to be?

How will the government raise taxes if you don't purchase gasoline?

How will the roads be fixed?

There are many people using electric cars don't think oh it will not happen in my life time .

As more people convert someone is going to have to take up the slack.

Watch the governments come out with all type of glitch filled schemes of alternative ways of raising revenues in the conversion years.

Watch your electric bill if you own a electric car you will get zapped with a tax and how will they effectively measure it.

Will the person driving a gasoline vehicle wind up paying less if the tax comes about with the help from the oil Industry?

Will the oil industry have a say in how much your license plate will cost if you own an electric vehicle.

We all know change is coming are we ready?

Last edited by Geronimo on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:14 pm 

Mirage wrote:
Way off base really. But that's the Democrat way, I suppose. The point isn't who the redefinition affects and how mad they may get but rather what is a reasonable practice. I realize that difference may be subtle but it is in fact as clear as night and day in thinking.

So if this bill goes through as I say it is only right that teachers would also be defined as seasonal when they do not have a 12 month schedule, which of course is a slim number of teachers as a whole.

I hate to bust your bubble here Mirage, but teachers can't receive unemployment benefits because of the way they are paid. They receive paychecks 12 months a year, rendering them ineligible for unemployment in the summer since they are still being paid. Many teachers work second jobs to supplement their salary. I don't understand why you think my comments are way off base? I think what Mitch Daniels is trying to do to the unemployment benefits is flat-out wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:08 pm 

sparks wrote:
Many workers, especially single moms, live paycheck to paycheck. When they are laid-off, they end up resorting to cash advances off of credit cards to pay bills.

They made their beds, so to speak. Let them sleep in them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:19 pm 

sparks wrote:
Mirage wrote:

I hate to bust your bubble here Mirage, but teachers can't receive unemployment benefits because of the way they are paid. They receive paychecks 12 months a year, rendering them ineligible for unemployment in the summer since they are still being paid. Many teachers work second jobs to supplement their salary. I don't understand why you think my comments are way off base? I think what Mitch Daniels is trying to do to the unemployment benefits is flat-out wrong.

Apparently so should Trade Union Workers, during their seasonal lay offs. Why should I as a business owner or any employer pay higher employment taxes to support these special cases? Why should I pay more because others are unable to budget properly?

One of 2 options. Make special designations for these employees and have their employers pay much higher employment taxes, or the union members need to demand higher wages to compensate for the time off. Either way lets see how that works out for you .....

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:31 pm 

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
sparks wrote:
Many workers, especially single moms, live paycheck to paycheck. When they are laid-off, they end up resorting to cash advances off of credit cards to pay bills.

They made their beds, so to speak. Let them sleep in them.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:04 am 

mattlap wrote:
sparks wrote:
Mirage wrote:

Apparently so should Trade Union Workers, during their seasonal lay offs. Why should I as a business owner or any employer pay higher employment taxes to support these special cases? Why should I pay more because others are unable to budget properly?

One of 2 options. Make special designations for these employees and have their employers pay much higher employment taxes, or the union members need to demand higher wages to compensate for the time off. Either way lets see how that works out for you .....

The comments I made in this thread addressed the two issues where I feel the proposed "fix" for unemployment is unfair. I could live with changing the seasonal work classification because I have been working full-time for many years. The people it will affect will simply have to make changes in their lifestyles. As far as the impact of the "fix" on you personally as an employer, from what I have read, unemployment premiums will rise at least 10% of part of the "fix".Here are the two areas where I disagree with the proposed fix because
1) Benefits paid to workers will decrease every single month that a worker draws benefits. Many workers, especially single moms, live paycheck to paycheck. When they are laid-off, they end up resorting to cash advances off of credit cards to pay bills. I do not agree with reducing benefits every month to families that are already in financial distress because of job losses.
2) In addition to slashing benefits every month, the new system will force workers to take any job that is offered to them or lose unemployment benefits entirely. I believe the current unemployment benefits in Indiana cap out at $350/wk. If a worker were offered a job paying minimum wage,currently $6.55/hr, he would be forced to accept that job or lose his benefits completely. After taxes, he would net about $220/wk, a net decrease of $130/wk in income. This will result in even more foreclosures and bankruptcies in an already difficult economic situation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:22 am 

mattlap wrote:
sparks wrote:
Mirage wrote:

Matt, Teachers only get paid during the school year. During the summer, they only get paid if they are teaching summer school. ALL Teachers are hired with the understanding that they are not eligible for unemployment during the vacation time. This policy is across the board, and applies to all school employees, except custodians and maintainance people, who work all year round.

As for construction workers, they knew it was a seasonal job when they decided on their employment. I have a neighbor down the street, who is in construction. They have been laid off since January. I have talked to this neighbor on numerous occaisions. They like the fact that they get laid off for a few months a year, and collect unemployment. It is an extended vacation to them, with pay.

Construction, Teaching, and many other jobs are seasonal. The people employed in these professions knew this when they decided to enter these jobs. For seasonal workers, IMO, there should be no unemployment. They will have to find other employment during the off months, just like the Teachers do now, or save up their money to carry them through the off months.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 am 

Tiger1 wrote:
mattlap wrote:
sparks wrote:

Matt, Teachers only get paid during the school year. During the summer, they only get paid if they are teaching summer school. ALL Teachers are hired with the understanding that they are not eligible for unemployment during the vacation time. This policy is across the board, and applies to all school employees, except custodians and maintainance people, who work all year round.

As for construction workers, they knew it was a seasonal job when they decided on their employment. I have a neighbor down the street, who is in construction. They have been laid off since January. I have talked to this neighbor on numerous occaisions. They like the fact that they get laid off for a few months a year, and collect unemployment. It is an extended vacation to them, with pay.

Construction, Teaching, and many other jobs are seasonal. The people employed in these professions knew this when they decided to enter these jobs. For seasonal workers, IMO, there should be no unemployment. They will have to find other employment during the off months, just like the Teachers do now, or save up their money to carry them through the off months.

Once again,Tiger1 has posted information which is not true. Any teachers on this forum can verify that they receive paychecks 12 months a year. That is the reason why they aren't eligible to receive unemployment benefits during breaks.Here is a link to make up my assertion.
http://schools.nyc.gov/TeachNYC/SalaryBenefits/Salary/Salary.htm
Quote:
Teacher salaries are annualized (paid out over twelve months) and teachers are paid on a semi-monthly basis (1/24 of the applicable rate) on or about the first and the 16th of each month. Over the past several years, 99% of all new teachers have received their first paycheck on or about September 15. Most teachers then enroll in direct deposit which is the most timely and efficient method of receiving your pay.