Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: OLDIES BUT GOODIES.....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:36 am 

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5417&p=68391&hilit=patriotic#p68391

sparks wrote:
Many times, dissenters are the most patriotic citizens. It sure would be nice to have some leaders who listened to the dissenters instead of spying on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:53 am 

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=981&p=99843&hilit=Summer+of+Recovery#p99843

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009

edge540 wrote:
Good news for Americans, bad news for the republican America hating fear mongers:

Quote:
December 5, 2009
U.S. Economy Lost Only 11,000 Jobs in November
By JAVIER C. HERNANDEZ
In the strongest jobs report since the recession began, the government reported Friday that the nation’s employers had all but stopped shedding jobs in November, taking some of the pressure off of President Obama to come up with a jobs creation program.

The Labor Department reported Friday that the United States economy shed 11,000 jobs in November, and the unemployment rate fell to 10 percent, down from 10.2 percent in October.

The government also significantly revised September and October numbers. September was adjusted to show a loss of 139,000 jobs instead of 219,000, and October 111,000 instead of 190,000.

Though the pace has been declining since a peak in January, the November number was surprising. Economists have been expecting a turning point to come in the late spring or summer, with employers finally adding workers as a recovery takes hold. The last time the number was this good was December 2007, when the economy added 120,000 jobs.

“We’re moving toward stability in the labor market and the end of the tremendous firing that has plagued America,” said Allen L. Sinai, the founder of Decision Economics, a research firm. “But it’s going to be bleak for years. While it is going to be better than what we’ve seen, it’s still going to be terrible.”

A large number of employees are working fewer hours than they would like because many companies are operating below capacity and have resisted adding staff until orders turn up and the incipient recovery seems likely to endure. Indeed, a broader measure of unemployment fell in November to 17.2 percent, from 17.5 percent in October. This broader measure covers not only those seeking work but those whose hours have been cut and those too discouraged to look for work.

The number of Americans facing long-term unemployment, which includes people who cannot find work for 27 weeks or more, has been at record highs in recent months, reaching 5.6 million in October. It was more than 5.9 million people in November, or 38.3 of percent of those unemployed. Once hiring resumes, those workers are likely to be among the last to land jobs.

“You create this class of people who essentially become permanently unemployed and can’t get back in,” said Nigel Gault, chief domestic economist at IHS Global Insight. “You have people who have lost contact with the labor market, whose skills are not relevant for jobs for the future, who employers regard with skepticism because they have been out of work for so long.”

In recent months, the economy has shown modest signs of stability in manufacturing and construction — each a big source of job loss in the nearly two years since the recession began. But consumer spending remains tepid even as holiday shopping gets under way.

On Thursday, President Obama convened a jobs summit and said he would announce proposals next week to strengthen employment. “We cannot hang back and hope for the best,” the president said, though he added “our resources are limited.”

Economists generally say that the worst of the recession has passed, and most forecast mild growth into next year. But that does not change the economic reality for millions of Americans, who must deal with piles of unpaid bills, worries about unexpected medical expenses and concerns about losing their homes.

Kathy M. Henry, 39, who lives in a subsidized apartment on the South Side of Chicago, was laid off from her job as an administrative assistant at an advertising agency two years ago. Since then, she says, she has applied for more than 500 jobs. She has received a $1,200 monthly unemployment check since August of last year, which she describes as not enough to support herself and two of her children who live with her.

“It’s a constant cycle,” she said. “I’ve applied everywhere, from big corporations to minute corporations, and I don’t even get an e-mail back. I’m worried people see me as old and out of touch and decrepit.”

Earlier this week, Ms. Henry’s son, a high school senior, came home with a packet of class photographs. The $40 cost was beyond her means, she said, so she decided against purchasing a memento of her son’s senior year.

In Canada on Friday, the government reported that the country’s economy added more jobs than expected in November, erasing the losses in October. Statistics Canada reported a net employment gain of 79,000 in November, topping expectations of a 15,000 gain. The unemployment rate fell to 8.5 percent from 8.6 percent in October.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:08 am 

email from sparks

sparks wrote:
Subject: Preacher at WJOB nothing more than a phony

Moby Grape wrote:
sparks wrote:
In fact, a search of your posts over the last four years shows you haven't made a single post about either church or charity.[/b]

sparks wrote:
There are plenty of local charities that I donate my time and money to.

http://www.northwestindiana.com/discuss ... c7#p101901

yeah?...name one.

Hey SFB's, what makes you think I'd waste my time answering any question from a bigoted loser like yourself? With the amount of hate you spew, I'm sure you wouldn't donate a dime to any church or charity unless you consider the KKK a charity.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:27 am 

Image wrote:
If there was some intelligent discussion on this board besides Mattlap,myself and Edge

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5488&p=78194&hilit=Olbermann#p78194

And here is sample of it in action

Image wrote:
Here's a good insult I directed at Lois Lane. Enjoy!
I'm kind of surprised that the board skank has never heard the word "slunk" before. Slunk means to leave somewhere in embarrassment,like you do when you wake up with some guy you don't know after a night of heavy drinking!

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7363&p=103076&hilit=freetime+thread#p103076

Last edited by Moby Grape on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:32 am 

Would someone remind him that there is NO Freetime so what's the point of the forum, or are they still celebrating her questionable death like a bunch of sickos?

Apparently it's about cast preservation. We are no longer the United States of America. Today we are the Obama nation which causes desolation. When you think Obama & the Dems are saying they want fair taxes they really mean fare taxes for all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:43 am 

She hasn't been mentioned over there in months. However, some posters here gloat over her passing in their signature lines. That's sick.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:59 am 

I see those posters haven't had much to say today. I think they went to NY to meet the President. Not our President of course. They ain't worthy of the honor! The President of Iran. :lol:

Apparently it's about cast preservation. We are no longer the United States of America. Today we are the Obama nation which causes desolation. When you think Obama & the Dems are saying they want fair taxes they really mean fare taxes for all.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:33 am 
Banned

karent wrote:
She hasn't been mentioned over there in months. However, some posters here gloat over her passing in their signature lines. That's sick.

That's BULLSHIT and you know it. You know who those signatures refer to. You know damn well who gloated over her death. Why are you afraid to call it like you KNOW that it went down. Why are you blatantly lying here?
Your little peter puffer buddy just stated AGAIN the other day that he's pretty damn well pleased over the way things turned out because he felt she was going to slap a lawsuit on him. Whoretwatitch censored the entire thread because jack was kicking his little pals asss.

Last edited by r11 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:40 pm 

karent wrote:
You need to read the signature lines...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:53 pm 

karent wrote:

First, reread the signature lines.
Then, reassess your comment.

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:06 pm 

I think every time you use one of those lines, you are re-iterating the sentiment. I know that's not how you mean it, but would you post something you disagree with several times a day otherwise? I don't think it reflects badly on anyone but the persons who rehash it continually.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:43 pm 
Banned

karent wrote:
However, some posters here gloat over her passing in their signature lines. That's sick.

karent wrote:
I know that's not how you mean it

Well, which is it.."gloating over her passing"...or..."I know that's not how you mean it"?

karent wrote:
I don't think it reflects badly on anyone but the persons who rehash it continually.

Is that so? The statement.."while perishing in a fire is indeed a horrible way to go, the truth is that I don't give a rats ass that she's dead"..only reflects badly on individuals that re-post it and not on the puke that made it.
How about that folks..that's what Karent thinks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:18 pm 

karent wrote:
I think every time you use one of those lines, you are re-iterating the sentiment. I know that's not how you mean it, but would you post something you disagree with several times a day otherwise? I don't think it reflects badly on anyone but the persons who rehash it continually.

I am not the author of those words, and I in no way agree with the sentiment of the author. By leaving that quote up there, I am merely warning any and all people who may have dealings with the author what kind of person he truly is.

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:53 am 

happy jack wrote:
karent wrote:

I am not the author of those words, and I in no way agree with the sentiment of the author. By leaving that quote up there, I am merely warning any and all people who may have dealings with the author what kind of person he truly is.
Exactly the same way I feel...I didn't have a warm relationship with freetime, and I only met her once. I didn't agree with her 90% of the time, and I never wished her ill will. In short, I hardly knew her. But I feel, for someone to write something so acerbic, towards another human being, was and still is unacceptable. Why you take the stance you are, is beyond me...as I thought you were better than that. Apparently this board is just a stopping point, to feed your opinions for the fArtie board. Too bad...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:39 am 

Image wrote:
So what are you, the Thread Nazi,deciding which threads are relevant and which aren't?

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7666&p=122334&hilit=freetime+thread#p122334

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next