Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Facebook
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:11 pm 

Anyone else here mess around on Facebook?
I signed up a few months ago but didn't really start getting into it until this weekend.
GUess who I found waiting on a request to become my Facebook friend when I logged on? Mcmayor, Dave Woerpel and Vera.
Don't think so. I finally found the "ignore" button.
Buit it's fun making contact with old friends on there. It seems to be more for fun than the message board.
Do you think it's a complete waste of time?

[/size]

Post subject: Re: Facebook
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:32 am 

I think you'll really enjoy Facebook. Since you can pick the people you want to be friends with, you can avoid the anonymous trolls that are on message boards. It is a fun,social site.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:08 am 

So far I do. However, I need to find out about the games, like the farm one. I've got a bunch of stuff waiting.
Yes, I like avoiding the anonymous trolls very much.

Last edited by freetime on Tue May 04, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:24 am 

sparks wrote:
Since you can pick the people you want to be friends with, you can avoid the anonymous trolls that are on message boards.

You would know.... how many message boards have you been kicked off of so far?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:53 am 

Facebook is cool, but I avoid all of those annoying games, gifts, and suggestions. Facebook gathers the information about it's members. It is best to keep your profile BRIEF and PRIVATE...

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm 

freetime wrote:
Do you think it's a complete waste of time?

Depends on how use it. It's good to keep in touch. It's great for any business. I mean if you're spending 8 hours a day playing games when you could be reading a book or doing something enriching it can be problematic.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:44 pm 

Welcome to Facebook it's good for networking and finding old high school friends I have started a couple of pages.

I got burnt out on the games and block their applications from posting on my pages.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... ef=profile

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 343&ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 372&ref=ts

Last edited by Geronimo on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:25 am 

Image wrote:
I think you'll really enjoy Facebook. ....It is a fun,social site.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8850&p=111192&hilit=facebook&sid=08e68a2552e7a0928fe55dca3d2815a9#p111192

Image wrote:
I'm starting to think that discussing topics on Facebook with rational people who don't hide behind screen names is more enjoyable than this board.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8013&p=101539&hilit=facebook&sid=08e68a2552e7a0928fe55dca3d2815a9#p101539

Quote:
Facebook Accused of Hurting Muslims With ‘Anti-Islamic Sentiments’
Cybercast News Service, by Patrick Goodenough

The Facebook page at the center of angry protests in Pakistan because of depictions of Mohammed also has been blocked in Saudi Arabia, the latest development in a controversy first sparked almost five years ago by a Danish newspaper’s publication of cartoons satirizing Mohammed. The decision by the Saudi Communications and Information Technology Commission does not affect general access to Facebook, according to reports from the kingdom Friday. Muslims consider any images of the prophet who founded Islam in the

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/66401

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:21 am 

Image wrote:
I think you'll really enjoy Facebook. Since you can pick the people you want to be friends with, you can avoid the anonymous trolls that are on message boards. It is a fun,social site.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8850&p=111192&hilit=facebook&sid=36c2da5cb0e4d63eab5ea20d1f18909f#p111192

Image wrote:
Amy, I'm starting to think that discussing topics on Facebook with rational people who don't hide behind screen names is more enjoyable than this board. BTW, I think the comments MT made were positively ghoulish.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8013&p=101539&hilit=facebook&sid=36c2da5cb0e4d63eab5ea20d1f18909f#p101539

Quote:
3 Colombian teens on Facebook hit list killed in past 10 days
CNN, by Arthur Brice

(CNN) -- Three teens who were on a 69-name hit list posted on Facebook have been killed in the past 10 days in a southwestern Colombian town, officials say.

Police say they do not know who posted the list or why the names are on it.

"It is still not clear," Colombian national police spokesman Wilson Baquero told CNN. "This is part of the investigation."

But officials note that a criminal gang known as Los Rastrojos and a Marxist guerrilla group called the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia operate in the area.

The hit list on Facebook, which was posted August 17, gave the people named three days to leave the town of Puerto Asis or be executed, said Volmar Perez Ortiz, a federal official whose title is defender of the public.

Police at first thought the posting was a joke, Perez said in a statement issued Saturday. But the publication of a second list with 31 additional names led authorities to convene a special security meeting Friday, Perez said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/ ... tml?hpt=T2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:40 am 

Image wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8850&p=111192&hilit=facebook&sid=36c2da5cb0e4d63eab5ea20d1f18909f#p111192

Image wrote:
Amy, I'm starting to think that discussing topics on Facebook with rational people who don't hide behind screen names is more enjoyable than this board. BTW, I think the comments MT made were positively ghoulish.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8013&p=101539&hilit=facebook&sid=36c2da5cb0e4d63eab5ea20d1f18909f#p101539

It is a fun,social site

Quote:
Man accused of torturing woman over Facebook post
Associated Press

HANFORD, Calif. — Authorities say a California man jealous over a message on his girlfriend's Facebook page tortured and imprisoned her for four days while their children were in the house.

Kings County sheriff's deputies arrested 36-year-old Anthony Lozano at his Hanford home over the weekend on suspicion of false imprisonment, kidnapping, torture and other charges.

Sheriff's Cmdr. Dave Putnam says Lozano accused the 23-year-old victim of having an affair after he saw the Facebook message.

Lozano is suspected of grabbing the woman's hair, dragging her and threatening to kill her before choking her with a rope and a towel.

Putnam said the couple's child and another child belonging to the victim were in the house at the time.

Lozano remained in Kings County custody Monday evening on $725,000 bail. It was unknown if he had an attorney.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38928514/ns/us_news/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:45 am 

Image wrote:

Image wrote:

It is a fun,social site

Quote:
Facebook Feels Unfriendly Toward Movie It Inspired
New York Times, by Michael Cieply and Miguel Helft

LOS ANGELES — At the New York Film Festival next month, Hollywood will unleash “The Social Network,” a biting tale of the Silicon Valley giant Facebook and its founder Mark Zuckerberg.

Now Facebook must decide whether to bite back.

After fretting for months over how to respond, the company appears to have decided that its best bet is to largely ignore the movie and hope that audiences do the same — that “The Social Network” will be another failed attempt to bottle a generation, like “Less Than Zero,” and not culturally defining, as it aspires to be, in the way of “Wall Street” or “The Big Chill.”

Behind the scenes, however, Mr. Zuckerberg and his colleagues have been locked in a tense standoff with the filmmakers, who portray Facebook as founded on a series of betrayals, then fueled by the unappeasable craving of almost everyone for “friends” — the Facebook term for those who connect on its online pages — that they will never really have.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/21/busin ... ebook.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:49 am 

Image wrote:

Image wrote:

It is a fun,social site

Quote:
NH candidate apologizes for Sarah Palin death wish post on Facebook
Associate Press

CONCORD – A Democratic candidate for the New Hampshire House has apologized for posting a death wish for Sarah Palin on Facebook.

Keith Halloran of Rindge made the comment in response to a Republican lawmaker’s post Tuesday about the plane crash that killed former Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens. When the lawmaker expressed disappointment that some news accounts of Stevens’ death focused on negative aspects of his career, Halloran responded: "Just wish Sarah and Levy were on board," an apparent reference to Palin and her daughter’s ex-boyfriend, Levi Johnston.

After the leaders of both political parties denounced his comment, Halloran posted an apology on his Facebook page, saying he wishes the best for Palin, Johnston and their families.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx ... n+Facebook

who thinks this apology has any merit?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:25 am 

Image wrote:

Image wrote:

It is a fun,social site

Quote:
North Korea Joins Facebook
Telegraph [U.K.], by Laura Roberts

North Korea appears to have joined the social networking site Facebook after its Twitter account was blocked by South Korea under the country's security laws. The account, opened on Thursday night under the Korean username "uriminzokkiri," meaning "on our own as a nation," an official at South Korea's Communications Standards Commission said on Friday. It appeared hours after the commission blocked North Korea's 1-week-old Twitter account from being accessed in the South for containing information that is illegal under South Korean security laws, the official said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/f ... ebook.html

hey sparks...maybe your Nork ''friends'' woudl like some pictures of your dog!!!!

along with a few recipes!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:06 am 
Banned

Moby Grape wrote:

hey sparks...maybe your Nork ''friends'' woudl like some pictures of your dog!!!!

Come on now Moby. While we all agree that she may be an incredibly unattractive woman, that's no way to talk about Mrs. Sparks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:45 am 

Image wrote:

Image wrote:

It is a fun,social site according to sparks

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Pedophiles Find a Home for Social Networking -- on Facebook
FOX News By Jana Winter

The world’s largest pro-pedophilia advocacy group uses Facebook to connect with its members throughout the world; to find and exchange photos of children; to hone its members' predatory behavior; and to identify, target and reel in child victims, an investigation by FoxNews.com reveals.

Facebook says it has a strict policy against the posting of content that supports groups engaged in child exploitation, yet a simple, five-second search on Facebook, conducted on Sept. 23, yielded dozens of pages devoted to the infamous North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA). Many of those pages featured numerous photos of unnamed boys, some of whom appeared to be too young for kindergarten.

The same day, FoxNews.com found hundreds of links to NAMBLA’s website on Facebook, which has more than half a billion users worldwide. And posts on known pedophile blogs and chat rooms show an organized effort by pedophiles to use the social networking site to prey on children.

“This is just the downright filthiest of society setting up on Facebook in a public way, and the question is, 'Why is Facebook allowing this?'" said Hemanshu Nigam, co-chairman of President Obama's Online Safety Technology Working Group and a member of the board of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children..

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/ ... -facebook/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next