Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Further proof why conservatives are the most...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:25 am 

You know the rest.
Next will the requirement to teach bloodletting in our medical schools.

Ind. Senate panel votes to let schools teach creationism

By Dan Carden
INDIANAPOLIS | An Indiana Senate committee on Wednesday endorsed teaching creationism in public schools, despite pleas from scientists and religious leaders to keep religion out of science classrooms.

Senate Bill 89 allows school corporations to authorize "the teaching of various theories concerning the origin of life" and specifically mentions "creation science" as one such theory.

State Sen. Scott Schneider, R-Indianapolis, who voted for the measure, said if there are many theories about life's origins, students should be taught all of them.

But John Staver, professor of chemistry and science education at Purdue University, said evolution is the only theory of life that relies on empirical evidence from scientific investigations.

"Creation science is not science," Staver said. "It is unquestionably a statement of a specific religion."

The Rev. Charles Allen, head of Grace Unlimited, an Indianapolis campus ministry, said students would be served better by teaching religion comparatively, rather than trying to "smuggle it in" to a science course.

The Republican-controlled Senate Education Committee nevertheless voted 8-2 to send the legislation to the full Senate

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and- ... z1kZPtTdlN

Post subject: Re: Further proof why conservatives are the most...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:10 am 

LOL, there you have it

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism
Quote:
Are racists dumb? Do conservatives tend to be less intelligent than liberals? A provocative new study from Brock University in Ontario suggests the answer to both questions may be a qualified yes.

The study, published in Psychological Science, showed that people who score low on I.Q. tests in childhood are more likely to develop prejudiced beliefs and socially conservative politics in adulthood.

I.Q., or intelligence quotient, is a score determined by standardized tests, but whether the tests truly reveal intelligence remains a topic of hot debate among psychologists.

Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology at the university and the study's lead author, said the finding represented evidence of a vicious cycle: People of low intelligence gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, which stress resistance to change and, in turn, prejudice, he told LiveScience.

Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature "structure and order" that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice," he added.

Dr. Brian Nosek, a University of Virginia psychologist, echoed those sentiments.

"Reality is complicated and messy," he told The Huffington Post in an email. "Ideologies get rid of the messiness and impose a simpler solution. So, it may not be surprising that people with less cognitive capacity will be attracted to simplifying ideologies."

But Nosek said less intelligent types might be attracted to liberal "simplifying ideologies" as well as conservative ones.

In any case, the study has taken the Internet by storm, with some outspoken liberals saying that it validates their suspicions about conservatives and conservatives arguing that the research has been misinterpreted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:37 am 

Well, there is a professor of chemistry and a religious leader who both have some credible objections to the bill, but what I find interesting is the folks who get the most spun up about even mentioning creationism in schools, at least in the case, are newspaper editors, politicans, the unemployed, public employees--your basic cross-section of the low-livian Lake County/south suburban populace. Each and every one of you people had the chance to study math and science to your heart's content in high school and to pursue it in college. Instead, you found it more expedient to draw fighter planes and race cars during those classes and then spending study time playing with those triangular paper footballs. It's not going to amount to a hill of beans, especially to students in the hellholes north of 80/94, who's abilities are at best minimal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:05 am 

Quote:
...but what I find interesting is the folks who get the most spun up about even mentioning creationism in schools, at least in the case, are newspaper editors, politicans, the unemployed, public employees--your basic cross-section of the low-livian Lake County/south suburban populace.

Well no, it's actually folks who have brains who object to teaching religious fairy tales in PUBLIC schools. These folks live in every county of the state & every state in the union.

Your lame attempt at bashing the unemployed, public employees and the Lake County/south suburban populace is absurd & pathetic. It also makes no sense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:30 am 

planewreck540 wrote:
Well no, it's actually folks who have brains who object to teaching religious fairy tales in PUBLIC schools.

:roll: :smt006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:30 pm 

USMarine wrote:
planewreck540 wrote:
Well no, it's actually folks who have brains who object to teaching religious fairy tales in PUBLIC schools.

Didn't realize they now teach Obamanomics in the public schools now...Would like some verification on that...

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:28 pm 

edge540 wrote:
Well no, it's actually folks who have brains who object to teaching religious fairy tales in PUBLIC schools. These folks live in every county of the state & every state in the union.

Your lame attempt at bashing the unemployed, public employees and the Lake County/south suburban populace is absurd & pathetic. It also makes no sense.

The first part is true. But just as many realize that a quick mention of creationism in any class, be it the hard sciences, the social sciences, history, English, whatever will have next to no impact on what the students think. The smart students will take it in stride, embrace it wholly, halfway, or reject it and that will be that. The dumb kids, which Da' Region and the south suburbs have in spades, won't even be paying attention and will end up unemployed, punching a clock at Wal Mart, cleaning hotel rooms, or working for some level of government. The very luckiest among them will tap relatives for a dwindling number of higher paying union jobs and work in that area until it becomes extinct. Da' Region and the south suburbs also have those in spades.

I suspect guys like you and Sparks were the latter type of student. Teachers could try to cram calculus and honors physics down your throats and you'd be doodling in the back of the class room. Ditto for creationism. If a teacher asked either of you which particular subject a given day's lecture covered, you wouldn't have been able to answer. Calculus and physics are beyond you and you trash creationism because it supposedly makes you sound worldly. Few worldly people live where you do. You had the chance to take all the science and math the instructors could dole out and run with it. Instead, you ended up hanging around with business owners who cut lawns, traffic in balsa wood airplanes, and cobble crates together. Honest enough work, but hardly the place where staunch believers in rigid scientific and mathematical instruction wind up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:05 pm 

edge540 wrote:
You know the rest.
Next will the requirement to teach bloodletting in our medical schools.

Ind. Senate panel votes to let schools teach creationism

Here's what Barry Goldwater said on this issue many years ago...I guess he would now be considered a moderate with the rethuglicans...
Quote:
The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.

Quote:
“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they’re sure trying to do so, it’s going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/11/02/barry-goldwater-true-conservative/

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:19 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:
The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they’re sure trying to do so, it’s going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me.

Some people are easily scared.

As for the first part of the statement, you could substitute unions or illiterate Black rent-a-mobs anywhere and the passage would apply to the Democrats.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:16 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:
USMarine wrote:
planewreck540 wrote:

Didn't realize they now teach Obamanomics in the public schools now...Would like some verification on that...

It went sailing right over your head, as usual, chuckmo.
The point being made is the topic of fairy tales in juxtaposition to Obama's 'change you can believe in'.
Capiche?

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:23 am 

chuckmo48 wrote:

actually it's this ridiculous BHO bullshit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ty7WU872Lk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:21 am 

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
Quote:
The dumb kids, which Da' Region and the south suburbs have in spades...

Nah, it looks like ya'll, the conservative Bible thumpers down south have it all locked up:
Kentucky Creationism Theme Park Set To Open In 2014 Will ‘Include Dinosaurs’

Quote:
I suspect guys like you and Sparks were the latter type of student. Teachers could try to cram calculus and honors physics down your throats and you'd be doodling in the back of the class room

Well no, fact is I had no problem with calculus, physics, social science, history or English. I suspect you didn't either as you were intellectual but socially-impaired and alas, not very gifted as an athlete, perhaps an obsessive person who spent inordinate amounts of time reading your calculus and physics text books. You were the annoying nerd with the pocket protector frantically waving your hand whenever the teacher asked a question. You were the male version of Tracy Flick. I bet you were the last one picked for dodgeball in gym class or touch football during recess. You know, I bet you really_really hated gym class, didn't you..

Laffy, you're probably still a klutz.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:13 pm 

edge540 wrote:
You know, I bet you really_really hated gym class, didn't you.

All except for the towel snapping in the showers.

And you can post all the disparaging articles you wish about Kentucky, Mississippi, West Virginia....wherever. As long as crapholes like Hammond/Gary/East Chicago/Whiting, Lansing, Calumet City, Markham, Ford Heights....you name it....exist on the map, Da' Region and the South Suburbs will always make Appalachia seem like Paris or Vienna by comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 am 

There must be a reason for all this intense hatred and vitriol towards certain parts of da' region by Laffy, our "job creator" elitist snob. Gee, I wonder why...

Hmmmmmmmm....let me guess, Lafffy was getting wedgies & getting stuffed in lockers in.....
is it Hammond, yes?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:14 am 

Quote:
D'oh! Chris Matthews Tells
North Dakota Senator He
Loves His State, Stared
at Mt. Rushmore for Hours

Newsbusters, by Ken Shepherd

Closing out an interview with Sen. John Hoeven (R) of North Dakota on today's Andrea Mitchell Reports, substitute host Chris Matthews thanked the former governor and said he "loved visiting your state this summer" and that he loves Mt. Rushmore, having "sat there for two hours and just looked up at it" during his trip to South Dakota over the summer.

Hoeven corrected Matthews, saying he was from North Dakota. Matthews retorted that he "liked South Dakota better anyway." [video follows page break]

"Sorry, I like North Dakota too. I go to Hal Rosenbluth's place up there. There's a ranch up there I like to hang out at," Matthews added. Yeah, right, Chris.

Of course, anyone in the news biz, or in politics, is bound to make goofy geographical gaffes like this. And yet Matthews and others in the media have mercilessly mocked Republicans like Michele Bachmann for gaffes like her having confused Concord, New Hampshire for Concord, Massachusetts or when the Minnesota Republican mistakenly claimed that John Wayne was born in Waterloo, Iowa.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shephe ... z1ltiN5FGg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next