Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: After "lemming" exodus, manufacturers look to U.S.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:58 pm 

Big surprise...
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Big manufacturers moved their production out of the country too quickly over the past decades and now see a competitive advantage in building up their footprints back home, top executives said on Monday.

The chase for lower-paid workers drove the migration, which resulted in employment in the U.S. manufacturing sector falling by 40 percent from its 1980 peak. But big companies including Boeing Co and General Electric Co are now finding that the benefit of lower wages can be offset by higher logistics and materials costs.

"We, lemming-like, over the last 15 years extended our supply chains a little too far globally in the name of low cost," said Jim McNerney, chief executive of world No. 2 planemaker Boeing. "We lost control in some cases over quality and service when we did that, we underestimated in some cases the value of our workers back here."

Boeing in particular ran into extensive delays in the launch of its 787 Dreamliner aircraft, handing off much of the manufacturing responsibility to outside suppliers, leaving the launch of the fuel-efficient aircraft some three years behind schedule.

"You are going to see more (manufacturing) come back to the United States, and that's in part for business reasons and in part because we want to be good citizens," McNerney said.
http://news.yahoo.com/lemming-exodus-ma ... 14959.html
I think this article missed on a few major concerns with oversees production:
1. ITAR. This is getting more and more enforcement and is a huge headache for companies that are actually complaint.
2. Quality control. Including poor training, bad execution of techniques, unauthorized subsituions materials, and cover-ups of QA-related issues. It glosses over it, but it's a huge problem when you're building a widget that can't be sold because it isn't to standards. Furthermore, if you do get widgets on the market, and the quality is so poor, people start to percieve the quality as bad, you lose base.
3. Logisitcs. Who wants to spend a week in Juárez MX to oversee the setup of the new widget line? Anyone? By a show of hands... That's what I thought...
4. Criminal activity. See #3, but also in some countries the only way to work "through" the system is to bribe your way through. Aside from any PR issues this might raise, I think companies are becoming less comfortable with breaking laws, even if it is common practice and oversees.

Post subject: Re: After "lemming" exodus, manufacturers look to U.S.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:20 pm 

What we've had here is the "free enterprise" captalist system at work. In other words, corporate greed which is exactly what republicans love & adore. Fuk the working man & make as much profit as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:23 pm 

I didn't see any Dumbocrats imposing any tariffs...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:34 pm 

So what tariffs did the republicons impose? Bubba bought the idea of "free trade" hook line & sinker:

The GOP under Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush abandoned the protectionist ideology, and came out against quotas and in favor of the GATT/WTO policy of minimal economic barriers to global trade. Free trade with Canada came about as a result of the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement of 1987, which led in 1994 to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). It was based on President George H. W. Bush's plan to enlarge the scope of the market for American firms to include Canada and Mexico. US President Bill Clinton, with strong Republican support, pushed NAFTA through Congress over the vehement objection of labor unions.

Likewise, in 2000 Clinton worked with Republicans to give China entry into WTO and "most favored nation" trading status (i.e., low tariffs). NAFTA and WTO advocates promoted an optimistic vision of the future, with prosperity to be based on intellectuals skills and managerial know-how more than on routine hand labor. They promised that free trade meant lower prices for consumers. Opposition to liberalized trade came increasingly from labor unions, who argued that this system also meant lower wages and fewer jobs for American workers who could not compete against wages of less than a dollar an hour. The shrinking size and diminished political clout of these unions repeatedly left them on the losing side.-
wiki

Last edited by edge540 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:34 am 

LoisLane wrote:
Big surprise...
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Big manufacturers moved their production out of the country too quickly over the past decades and now see a competitive advantage in building up their footprints back home, top executives said on Monday.

Yep...coming back to skilled union workers...

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 am 

edge540 wrote:
corporate greed which is exactly what republicans love & adore. Fuk the working man & make as much profit as possible.

so does your fuc'kin messiah.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:54 am 

Yep!