Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Obama drives USA over fiscal cliff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:38 pm 

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner: Obama Will Go Over The Fiscal Cliff Unless GOP Agrees To Tax Hikes On High-Income Earners
So Obama is willing to throw the country back into a recession unless he gets his class warfare tax hikes on the “rich” which would fund the government for a mere 8 days?

Quote:
On Sunday, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner made the rounds on all five major Sunday morning talk shows to support President Barack Obama’s argument that taxes must be hiked on the top two percent of income earners.

“The Republicans have said for the first time in decades, if I’m not mistaken — the leaders of the Republican Party — that they are prepared to raise taxes as part of a deal that helps reduce our long-term deficits,” Geithner said on Sunday’s broadcast of CNN’s “State of the Union.” “Now, what they haven’t said to us is how far they’re willing to go both on rates and revenues. And that’s something we’re going to need to see from them if we’re going to have an agreement.”

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Re: Obama drives USA over fiscal cliff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:43 pm 

Boehner: Obama’s “Idea Of A Negotiation Is Roll Over And Do What I Ask”
Quote:
House Speaker John Boehner says he’s already made concessions in the fiscal cliff talks – and isn’t in any mood to make more.

“Listen, nobody wants to go over the cliff,” Boehner told said in an interview aired Sunday on “Fox News Sunday.} “That’s why, the day after the election, I tried to speed this process up by making a concession to put revenues on the table.”

The Republican congressman from Ohio then said that the White House should remember it must deal with GOP sentiment in the House if it hopes to reach a deal.

“They won the election,” Boehner said. “They must have forgotten that Republicans continue to hold a majority in the House…The president’s idea of a negotiation is roll over and do what I ask.”

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:27 am 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner: Obama Will Go Over The Fiscal Cliff Unless GOP Agrees To Tax Hikes On High-Income Earners

...and if you remeber he was ELECTED because of this stance on higher taxes on the wealthy...
Funny...you seem to think it is ok when a rethug has the same stance...You voted for the IN governor that said:

Quote:
Rep. Pence Says GOP Majority Shouldn't Be Bipartisan: "No Compromise"

http://politicalcorrection.org/blog/201010220008
Quote:
"Well I’m somebody who thinks Republicans didn’t just lose their majority in 2006, they lost their way. I think there was altogether too much compromise.” - Pence (CNN, 10/27/10)

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:26 am 

this thread goes to show how clueless arclite Is.The "fiscal" cliff is a combination of spending cuts and the end of the Bush tax cuts. It does what Congress has been unable to do, balancing the budget and reducing the debt. What part of avoiding bankruptcy don't you like? The fact that Obama is proposing it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:04 am 

Where are all the teachers, government employees, yoo-nyun goons, and old people that crowded the streets of Indianapolis begging to be allowed to pay higher taxes? Couldn't they get a headstart on this whole thing by simply putting their money where their mouths were?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:54 pm 

Pelosi: “It’s A Statement of Fact” That If Republicans Don’t Agree To Obama’s Tax Hikes “We Go Over The Cliff”
As far as I can tell the Democrats are offering NOTHING in return for these tax hikes.

Quote:
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi doubled down today on a White House pledge to go over the so-called “fiscal cliff” in the absence of a deal that includes tax hikes for the wealthy, telling reporters that “If there’s no agreement, we go over the cliff.”

Yesterday, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said the White House is”absolutely” prepared to go over “cliff” should negotiations fail to yield a deal ends Bush-era cuts for household incomes above $250,000 per year.

“There is no prospect [for] an agreement that doesn’t involve rates going up on the top two percent of the wealthiest Americans,” Geithner told CNBC. “What we need to see is have them acknowledge that they are prepared to see rates go up. And if they are willing to accept that, and commit to that as part of an agreement, then we think we can do something really good for the American economy.”

Asked about the statement in a press conference today, Pelosi said she saw Geithner’s comment not as a threat but as a “statement of fact.”

“I saw it as a statement of fact. It’s not a threat, it’s a prediction,” Pelosi said. “If there is no agreement, then the fiscal cliff has to be dealt with… Let’s hope that we can have an agreement.”

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:25 pm 

princess sparkles wrote:
princess sparkles wrote:
Face it,pal,Obama crushed Romney. Obamacare is the law of the land and the black guy will be President for 4 more years.
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
You got it sparkles, it's all Barry's baby from here on out!

Just remember not to blame the Republicans when your taxes go up.

Let It Burn! Let It Burn! Let It Burn!

Rand Paul: We Should Let Dems Raise Taxes And Then Let Them Own It!

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:36 pm 

Going off fiscal cliff is president's 'deliberate strategy'

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:23 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Going off fiscal cliff is president's 'deliberate strategy'

Pretty good one I think...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:38 pm 

In Obama’s Plan to Tax Rich, $250,000 Figure May Mislead
Quote:
A close look at the president’s plan shows that a large majority of families making up to $300,000 — as well as hundreds of thousands of families with even larger incomes — would not pay taxes at a higher marginal rate.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-plan-tax-rich-250-200308218.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:46 pm 

Biden: There’s An “Upside” To Going Over Fiscal Cliff
They really do see an upside in going over the fiscal cliff. Blaming the inevitable recession on Republicans (with the MSM’s help), tax hikes, military being decimated etc.

Quote:
In remarks at a diner in Arlington, Virginia, Vice President Joe Biden said that the “upside” of going down the so-called fiscal cliff “is even bigger than the downside.” Biden attributed these thoughts to “business leaders.”

Via the pool reporter present at today’s event:

“The downside of going down this cliff…is real. But the upside is even bigger than the downside,” Mr. Biden said he’s been hearing from business leaders.

“This is no time to add any additional burden for middle class people.”

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:48 am 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Biden: There’s An “Upside” To Going Over Fiscal Cliff

Yes there is..it will prove to electorate that the rethuglicons will screw everyone to protect the few...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:55 pm 

75% Of Obama’s Proposed Tax Hikes Go Toward New Spending
Don’t worry, he’s not a tax-and-spend liberal.[/sarcasm]

Quote:
According to the minority side of the Senate Budget Committee, $1.2 trillion of the proposed $1.6 trillion in tax hikes would go toward new spending, while only $400 billion would go toward deficit reduction.

“The president's plan called for $1.6 trillion in new taxes, twice what the president asked for in the campaign. He asked for $800 billion during the campaign. Now he wants $1.6 trillion in new taxes,” said Senator Jeff Sessions, the ranking member on the Senate Budget Committee, last week on the floor.

“Spending under that plan would increase $1 trillion above the levels agreed to in the Budget Control Act, as signed into law. We agreed to the Budget Control Act 16 months ago, in August 2011, and we raised the debt ceiling and agreed to reduce spending. We raised the debt ceiling $2.1 trillion and agreed to reduce spending $2.1 trillion. The President’s plan would take out over $1.1 trillion of those spending limitations that are in current law. I repeat, spending will increase more than $1 trillion above the already projected growth in spending,” Sessions added.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:03 pm 

Obama Focused Like A Laser On Averting Fiscal Cliff … No, Not Really … Has 25 White House Parties Scheduled, No Time For Boehner
Priorities.

Quote:
Since returning from a trip to Southeast Asia on Nov. 21, President Obama has managed to play three rounds of golf but has met face to face only once with House Speaker John A. Boehner, the man with whom he is trying to strike a deal on taxes and spending that could prevent another recession.

“I think you’ve seen the president actively engaged in moving the process forward,” Mr. Carney said. “The president has made clear his willingness to negotiate and compromise.”

Mr. Obama has spoken with Mr. Boehner by phone several times, and the conversations have been described as everything from “curt” to “cordial.” Nobody on either side has ventured to describe them as “productive.”

An administration official said the White House is hosting more than 25 holiday parties this month. A White House spokesman wouldn’t confirm that number but said the president and first lady are hosting parties for “volunteers, members of Congress, White House staff, Secret Service personnel, White House reporters and Americans from across the country.” In all, about 14,000 people will attend a White House party or reception this holiday season.

In addition, Mr. Obama attended a holiday concert Sunday at the National Building Museum and presided over the national tree-lighting ceremony along the Mall on Dec. 6.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:56 pm 

Boehner: House Will Pass “Plan B”, After Which Obama “Can Call On Senate Democrats To Pass It Or He Can Be Responsible For The Largest Tax Increase In American History”
Checkmate.

Quote:
House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) responded defiantly to President Obama’s comments earlier Wednesday about the impending “fiscal cliff.”

In an appearance before cameras that lasted less than one minute, Boehner said the House would pass his “Plan B” on Thursday “to make permanent tax relief for nearly every American – 99.81 percent of the American people.”

“I hope the president will get serious soon about providing and working with us on a balanced approach,” Boehner said. “Then the president will have the decision to make: He can call on Senate Democrats to pass that bill or he can be responsible for the largest tax increase in American history.”

P.J. O'Rourke

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next