Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Obama uses IRS to target political opponents.
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:09 pm 

Alan Dershowitz: Lois Lerner Waived Her Fifth Amendment Right By Making Statement, “She’s In Trouble. She Can Be Held In Contempt” By Congress
She's made 700 grand the last 4 years. She's a pampered little snot.

A few days in the pokey and she'll be singing like a canary, squealing like a pig.

Quote:
Lois Lerner, the Internal Revenue Service’s embattled director of Exempt Organizations, could be held in contempt of court and jailed for refusing to testify before Congress, civil-rights lawyer Alan Dershowitz says.

“She’s in trouble. She can be held in contempt,” Dershowitz told “the Steve Malzberg Show” on Newsmax TV.

“Congress . . . can actually hold you in contempt and put you in the Congressional jail.”

Lerner, grilled Wednesday on the IRS’ targeting of conservative organizations, invoked her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination — but not before insisting “I have done nothing wrong.”

Her brief statement of innocence has opened a legal Pandora’s Box, according to Dershowitz.

“You can’t simply make statements about a subject and then plead the Fifth in response to questions about the very same subject,” the renowned Harvard Law professor said.

“Once you open the door to an area of inquiry, you have waived your Fifth Amendment right . . . you’ve waived your self-incrimination right on that subject matter.”

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:23 pm 

Issa Says IRS’ Lois Lerner Is Still Under Subpoena Because Hearing Was Recessed, Not Adjourned
Time to haul her back in.

Quote:
I spoke at length with House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-CA) off-camera (would not come on camera) about the hearing and the question as to recalling Lois Lerner.

Issa points out that he RECESSED the hearing…he did not ADJOURN the hearing.

There is a BIG parliamentary difference. If you recess the hearing…the hearing is still ongoing. If you adjourn the hearing, it’s done. Issa would have to issue another subpoena for Lerner…and chances are, she might comport herself a lot differently than she did yesterday.

Go back to the GSA hearing with Jeff Neely, the GSA executive who threw the lavish party in Las Vegas.

Once Issa swore him in…Neely immediately repeated a rote mantra, invoking his 5th Amendment rights to every question Issa asked. He said nothing else and never deviated. Issa finally dismissed him.

In this case, Lerner was sworn-in…then read an opening statement where she declared she did nothing wrong….THEN leaned on the Fifth Amendment when Issa asked questions…hence the protest from Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC).

So….Issa tells me off-camer that “I had a script to allow her to take the Fifth”….meaning he was expecting a similar exchange to what he had in April, 2012 with Neely. She didn’t do that.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:24 pm 

Issa Confirms He Will Call Lerner Back To Testify Before Committee
Damn right!

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Republican Representative Darrell Issa said on Thursday he will call Internal Revenue Service official Lois Lerner back to testify before his committee on the IRS-Tea Party scandal after she asserted her constitutional right not to answer questions.

“We are obligated to bring Lerner back because she did not properly take the Fifth (Amendment),” Issa said.

“She clearly chose to make her statements and then not open herself up to even any questioning as to the statement she made,” said Issa, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:17 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Issa Confirms He Will Call Lerner Back To Testify Before Committee
Damn right!

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Republican Representative Darrell Issa said on Thursday he will call Internal Revenue Service official Lois Lerner back to testify before his committee on the IRS-Tea Party scandal after she asserted her constitutional right not to answer questions.

“We are obligated to bring Lerner back because she did not properly take the Fifth (Amendment),” Issa said.

“She clearly chose to make her statements and then not open herself up to even any questioning as to the statement she made,” said Issa, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

Well I certainaly hope so. It was amusing to see Lois tell Darrell to go fu*k himself the first time, should be even more fun the second time around.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:28 pm 

edge540 wrote:
Well I certainaly (sp) hope so. It was amusing to see Lois tell Darrell to go fu*k himself the first time, should be even more fun the second time around.

Why am I not surprised that you are okay with people lying to Congress and the American People, so long as they are advancing the liberal agenda.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:35 pm 

Even Pelosi Thinks Lerner Should Have Testified
I don’t think Lerner’s going to have much of a choice since she inadvertently waived her Fifth Amendment right.

But still, you've gotta love it when they eat their own.

Quote:
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi on Thursday said high-ranking IRS official Lois Lerner should have shed light on what led to the agency’s targeting of conservative groups in recent years instead of refusing to testify before House investigators.

“I do think the American people deserve answers,” the California Democrat said during her weekly news conference on Thursday. “I wish that she would have provided them.”

Ms. Lerner told the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on Wednesday she did nothing wrong while the agency imposed extra scrutiny on tea party groups and others at the IRS’ Cincinnati office from 2010 to 2012.

However, she refused to answer the committee’s questions. The committee may call her back, on the basis that she waived her Fifth Amendment privileges by providing an opening statement under oath.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:42 pm 

Report Says IRS Has Placed Lois Lerner On Administrative Leave
Or as government workers call it, paid vacation.

Quote:
Lois Lerner, the Internal Revenue Service’s director of exempt organizations, has been placed on administrative leave, according to a source in the agency’s Cincinnati office.

Lerner on Thursday afternoon sent an e-mail to employees in the exempt organizations division she oversees stating, “Due to the events of recent days, I am on administrative leave starting today. An announcement will be made shortly informing you who will be acting while I am on administrative leave. I know all of you will continue to support EO’s mission during these difficult times.” She concluded, “I thank you for all your hard work and dedication,” adding, “The work you do is important.”

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:50 pm 

Letters Show Lois Lerner Directly Involved In IRS Targeting
Ridiculous they couldn’t/didn’t fire her.

Quote:
A series of letters suggests that senior IRS official Lois Lerner was directly involved in the agency’s targeting of conservative groups as recently as April 2012, more than nine months after she first learned of the activity.

Lerner, the director of the IRS exempt organizations office in Washington, D.C., signed cover letters to 15 conservative organizations currently represented by the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ) between in March and April of 2012. The letters, such as this one sent to the Ohio Liberty Council on March 16, 2012, informed the groups applying for tax-exempt status that the IRS was “unable to make a final determination on your exempt status without additional information,” and included a list of detailed questions of the kind that a Treasury inspector general’s audit found to be inappropriate. Some of the groups to which Lerner sent letters are still awaiting approval.

“One thing is clear: this correspondence shows [Lerner’s] direct involvement in the scheme,” wrote Jay Sekulow, chief counsel for the ACLJ. “Further, sending a letter from the top person in the IRS Exempt Organization division to a small Tea Party group also underscores the intimidation used in this targeting ploy.”

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:13 pm 

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:42 pm 

So where was all the fake outrage, yelling, screaming, crying and whining from the right?
Please spare us the bullshit outrage.

Quote:
Bush Used the IRS, FBI, CIA and Secret Service to Go After Opponents -- Where Was the Fox and GOP Outrage?

The recent IRS flap shows an obvious double standard in Washington's reactions to Bush era and Obama era misconduct

As your kindergarten teacher probably told you, two wrongs do not make a right. But the discrepancy in reactions to wrongs does, indeed, show how Washington so often serves the interests of the political right.

That’s one of the big – if deliberately ignored – takeaways from the reaction to news that the Internal Revenue Service allegedly targeting conservative organizations for extra scrutiny in their larger review of political groups’ tax exempt status. In the last few days, the allegations have generated a wave of national headlines, a congressional investigation,federal legislation and ever-louder calls for impeachment.

Considering the gravity of the allegations against the Obama IRS from the Treasury Department’s inspector general, congressional scrutiny is certainly warranted. However, there’s just one problem: most of the lawmakers and pundits today decrying the use of public resources against a White House’s political opponents had little – if anything – to say about equally troubling revelations about the Bush administration’s deployment of public resources against its opponents. In fact, conservatives said so little back then that Fox News apparently doesn’t even know (or is pretending not to know) the Bush administration used the IRS in the same way the Obama adminstration allegedly did.

And here’s the even more incredible thing: the Bush cabal didn’t just use the IRS for its political hackery – it mounted a full-scale government-wide assault on its enemies, marshaling disparate agencies in its smear efforts.

Bush’s use of the IRS was but one part of that larger assault. As my Salon colleague Alex Seitz-Wald notes today in greater detail, in 2005, Bush’s IRS began what became an extensive two-year investigation into a Pasadena church after an orator dared to speak out against President Bush’s Iraq War. Not coincidentally, the Los Angeles Times reports that the church targeted just so happened to be “one of Southern California’s largest and most liberal congregations.” That IRS church audit came a year after it launched a near-identical attack on the NAACP after the civil rights organization criticized various Bush administration policies.

That is not where the story ends, however. The Bush administration’s crusade against its enemies moved from the IRS into the Secret Service.

Under the Republican president, that law enforcement agency was repeatedly deployed to physically block suspected antiwar activists from attending public presidential events. As the San Francisco Chronicle reported, the scheme eventually targeted some peaceful antiwar activists for arrest for the alleged crime of “holding up small handwritten protest signs outside the designated zone” of free speech (yes, the Bush White House cemented the precedent that the right to dissent is no longer a fundamental right, but is instead only allowed in certain “free speech zones”). Ultimately, in a case dealing with a man who was arrested for simply telling Vice President Dick Cheney that his “policies on Iraq are disgusting,”the Republican-dominated Supreme Court upheld the Bush administration’s use of “retaliatory arrests” against the administration’s ideological critics.

Then, in 2010, we learned that Bush’s targeting operation was also operating inside the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Recounting findings from the Justice Department’s Inspector General, the Washington Post reported that “the FBI improperly investigated some left-leaning U.S. advocacy groups after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks…citing cases in which agents put activists on terrorist watch lists even though they were planning nonviolent civil disobedience.”

A year later, we learned that along with the IRS, Secret Service and FBI, the Bush administration may have also been using the Central Intelligence Agency against its political enemies. As the New York Times reported, “A former Central Intelligence Agency officer who was a top counterterrorism official during the administration of President George W. Bush, said the White House at least twice asked intelligence officials to gather sensitive information” on prominent Iraq War critic Juan Cole. That story had an eerie similarity to the Bush administration’s effort to out CIA operative Valerie Plame as retribution for her husband’s criticism of that same war.

http://www.alternet.org/bush-used-irs-f ... op-outrage

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:01 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
edge540 wrote:
Well I certainaly (sp) hope so. It was amusing to see Lois tell Darrell to go fu*k himself the first time, should be even more fun the second time around.

Why am I not surprised that you are okay with people lying to Congress and the American People, so long as they are advancing the liberal agenda.

HA..HA...You rethugs wrote the book on it...

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:32 pm 

White House’s “Excessive Entanglement” With The IRS
I don't find it comforting that the only thing the President does more frequently than golf is meet with the IRS Director.

Quote:
Top IRS officials, whose agency was under investigation for targeting conservative groups, visited the Obama White House more than 100 times over two years while the probe was going on, far more often than in previous administrations reports Susan Ferrechio of the Washington Examiner.

Granted, some of the meetings were about the IRS’ role in implementing ObamaCare. But take note of this:

Former Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Doug Shulman visited the White House 118 times between 2010 and 2011. Acting Director Steven Miller, who took over at the IRS in November, also made numerous visits to the White House, though variations in the spelling of his name in White House visitor logs makes it difficult to determine exactly how many times.

The frequent trips to the White House under Obama far outnumbered the times other administrations felt the need to meet with the IRS, according to Mark Everson, who led the IRS under former President George W. Bush. Everson said he remembers making only one trip to the White House between 2003 and 2007 and said he felt like he’d “moved to Siberia” because of the isolation.

Certainly, it’s just one more flaw of ObamaCare that it requires extensive contacts between presidential administrations — all necessarily with political aims and goals — and IRS bureaucrats. it facilitates political tampering with the IRS.

But it’s likewise suspicious that entries about many of the White House meetings state no purpose for them. It is hard to believe that a concurrent investigation into IRS extravagance on conferences and the like absorbed hours and hours of meeting time — and likewise difficult to believe that the topic of political targeting never, ever came up in all those many hours spent together.

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:45 pm 

IRS Targeted Conservatives In 2008 At Behest Of The Obama Campaign
Makes ex-IRS chief Steven Miller’s claims about the targeting being “non-partisan” even more outrageous.

Quote:
The White House insists President Obama is “outraged” by the “inappropriate” targeting and harassment of conservative groups. If true, it’s a remarkable turnaround for a man who helped pioneer those tactics.

On Aug. 21, 2008, the conservative American Issues Project ran an ad highlighting ties between candidate Obama and Bill Ayers, formerly of the Weather Underground. The Obama campaign and supporters were furious, and they pressured TV stations to pull the ad—a common-enough tactic in such ad spats.

What came next was not common. Bob Bauer, general counsel for the campaign (and later general counsel for the White House), on the same day wrote to the criminal division of the Justice Department, demanding an investigation into AIP, “its officers and directors,” and its “anonymous donors.” Mr. Bauer claimed that the nonprofit, as a 501(c)(4), was committing a “knowing and willful violation” of election law, and wanted “action to enforce against criminal violations.”

AIP gave Justice a full explanation as to why it was not in violation. It said that it operated exactly as liberal groups like Naral Pro-Choice did. It noted that it had disclosed its donor, Texas businessman Harold Simmons. Mr. Bauer’s response was a second letter to Justice calling for the prosecution of Mr. Simmons. He sent a third letter on Sept. 8, again smearing the “sham” AIP’s “illegal electoral purpose.”

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:26 pm 

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:16 pm 

Almost 90 IRS Employees Under Investigation For Targeting Conservatives
That’s a lot of “rogue” employees.

Quote:
Washington (CNN) – The Internal Revenue Service has told House GOP investigators they have identified 88 IRS employees who may have documents relevant to the congressional investigation into targeting of conservative groups, according to a congressional source familiar with the investigation.

The IRS asked these employees to preserve all the “responsive documents” on their computers, and it has been in the process of collecting it all to comply with congressional requests for information. The IRS missed its May 21st deadline to turn over documents to the House Ways and Means Committee.

The same source said the IRS argues it missed its deadline because of the scope of documents it is collecting.

The request for documents was a bipartisan one, but Republicans are privately preparing to seize on the fact that if nearly 90 IRS employees may have been somehow involved in this targeting, it is evidence that the controversy extends well beyond the mistakes by a few low level employees.

P.J. O'Rourke

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next